Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need to choose photo for SSF Book! HELP!

• 12-10-2009 6:16pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all...

I didnt think anything I shot this year was good enough for the SSF book, but I've been cajoled into it and when I reviewed my shots, well... I cant decide.

I've looked at these shots for soooo long, I can no longer approach them with any semblance of impartiality or critique.

Can you guys have a look and give me your opinions on them and let me know which you would pick?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78645925@N00/sets/72157622570017670/

Thanks, I'm all paniced about it. :)

DeV.

Picture for SSF? 43 votes

Alley Cat Head Smash
    0% 0 votes
    Kerry At The End Of Day
    2% 1 vote
    Killarney
    4% 2 votes
    Fishing Malta Style
    9% 4 votes
    Cutting the Cake
    27% 12 votes
    Sanchita
    4% 2 votes
    Sweet Toffee Apples
    0% 0 votes
    Alone
    11% 5 votes
    Candle
    39% 17 votes
    Mum and Dad
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Either 'fishing' or 'alone'

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

'Fishing' for me. It has a nice perspective to it ! ie. the line just heading off into the sea ;)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

"Mum and Dad" is one of the most expressive portraits I've seen in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

fishing or mum and dad, fishing far more so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Fishing is the one I would pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I really like "Mum and Dad", perfect candid photography. Simple but expresses so much.

Love the bokeh on the Toffee Apple picture, very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Mum and Dad all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

'Fishing' but I'd understand if 'Mum and Dad' meant more to you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

'Fishing' is IMO the best by far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I like Fishing (but the Horizon would need to be leveled) as it's very quirky & good fun.

My vote goes to Alone. I like the simple composition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

CabanSail wrote: »
    I like Fishing (but the Horizon would need to be leveled) as it's very quirky & good fun.

My vote goes to Alone. I like the simple composition.

The tilted horizon is one of the thing I like in 'fishing' composition.
    I think it gives the feel of being on a hammock on a boat.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Great feedback, thanks all... The vote is very close between some of my favourites too... :(

Are these good enough to be included in the book?

Should I do anything with either Fishing or Mum and Dad in Photoshop? (I too like the tilted horizon in Fishing and I was sitting in a kinda hammock too... yes, thats my foot. Euw!)

Thanks for the help guys and gals...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Another vote for alone. Mum and Dad does nothing for me at all I'm afraid. Maybe if you know the principals, otherwise its just a fairly mediocre portrait. Yes the captured moment is nice, but the shot itself is pretty meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Really cannot believe that regular users of this forum were not allowed post a poll here for the Ireland V Italy Photo Comp but were banished to the Photo Challenge, then DeVore comes along and creates a poll to see what pic he should put in the book!

:eek::eek:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oops... sorry, I am not aware of previous decisions on that. I'll move this thread and leave a redirect.

DeV.

Not your fault DeVore, but I do feel let down by the Mods who not only allowed your thread to remain but replied to it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Really cannot believe that regular users of this forum were not allowed post a poll here for the Ireland V Italy Photo Comp but were banished to the Photo Challenge, then DeVore comes along and creates a poll to see what pic he should put in the book!

This thread was not a Photo Challenge, it was simply someone asking for advice about a set of Photographs. This is sort of like an extention of C&C.

The Ireland Vs Italy Competition is a Photo Challenge and we have a forum for that specific purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

At this point in time you should be well aware that the report.gif button is the appropriate method to raise such a matter - this particularly as you have been in lengthy discussions with some of the moderation team on your particular beef.

To be as simple as I can about this - DeVore's thread isn't a competition - he is looking for advice on a photographic matter. Hence it isn't in any shape or form a competition or challenge and the correct place for it is thus on the main forum.

There is a photo challenge sub forum where it was already deemed appropriate for the competition that you refer to be facilitated. Other threads of a photographic nature including those that display the good works that people took whilst at the Ireland match have happily lived on the main forum.

The issue of the competition has been explained to you personally at length and if I understand correctly the other moderators have bent over backwards to ensure it gets profile on the forum such that it will attract interest and probable voting.

Should you have further issue then please do not derail Devore's thread and reply to any of the moderation team by PM.

EDIT: Cross posted with Cabansail.

CabanSail wrote: »
    This thread was not a Photo Challenge, it was simply someone asking for advice about a set of Photographs. This is sort of like an extention of C&C.

The Ireland Vs Italy Competition is a Photo Challenge and we have a forum for that specific purpose.

It is not a Photochallenge is is a group of ppl from here who all shot a particular event and are asking the community which is their fave!

The key word here is Community!

We would have got a lot more voters if it had been allowed in the main section!

Edit: Cross posted with AnCatDubh

It is not a Photochallenge is is a group of ppl from here who all shot a particular event and are asking the community which is their fave!

The key word here is Community!

We would have got a lot more voters if it had been allowed in the main section!

Edit: Cross posted with AnCatDubh

Just to clarify this. The Ireland Vs Italy thread which is in the Photo Challenge Forum is actually titled a "Competition" and was set up as such.

As far as I can see it has attracted a lot of votes & is a welcome part of the community. It is just in it's correct place.

If there is anything else then please take it up with us on PM.

• Advertisement

I voted for kerry at the end of the day!

Good job the rest of the submitters were more decisive than DeVore or we would have had 100 of these threads clogging up the forum, I asked family and friends and I know of one such user who asked his Facebook friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

:cool: I think Mr DeVore should be allowed to do anything he likes !!!!
    .......including banning you for a year :p

I'd just like to get back on topic :)
    Deadline is tomorrow night....

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Dev, if it were my shot (fishing) i'd *maybe* bump the contrast up just a tadge. Not the highlights, just the blacks. But i bump the contrast up on everything these days.. I love the shot. And hell yes its good enough to be in the book. I really like the feel of it.

Or you could clean the rgb channels up in the levels? Do it individually - as opposed to a master levels adjustment? That works a treat :) PM if you don't know what I mean (I only learned the proper way to do it last week ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

DeVore wrote: »
    I didnt think anything I shot this year was good enough for the SSF book, but I've been cajoled into it and when I reviewed my shots, well... I cant decide.

What's the SSF book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

gary82 wrote: »
    What's the SSF book?

The boards photography year book supporting the Santa Strike Force charity (the one that's linked in the stickies).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    The boards photography year book supporting the Santa Strike Force charity (the one that's linked in the stickies).

Ohh right - news to me!! Been on here every day for ages, must have had my head in the clouds! "[BPB] Update Thread. >> 12th October, 2009 Update <<" doesn't really give away too much about the contents of that thread! Must look in and see if I can help out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Some lovely shots there Dev. My personal fav is Fishing. It's quirky with an unusual viewpoint and makes a great photo ;)

Ok, it clearly came down to Fishing, Alone, and Mum and Dad... I remembered my mother saying she'd killed me if I got that pic printed because it makes her look like she has a double chin. I still love it but I'm tending towards feeling it might just be special for me and not really a great pic.

Alone is too cold and depressing somehow. Its very muted (I didnt photoshop any of them yet btw) and I think that suits the pic but somehow its not what I feel I want to put into the SSF book, something about this book should say "joy", at least thats kinda how I feel about the submission I make.

So, its Fishing then. I'll see what I can do in photoshop about the contrast. Thanks all, its been a big help... weird how I would never have picked those photos to have struck a chord with people.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I actually would have gone with the Toffee Apples shot to be honest...I liked it most of all of them.

Sorry I missed this thread until now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

DeVore wrote: »
    Thanks all, its been a big help... weird how I would never have picked those photos to have struck a chord with people.

DeV.

Goes to show - this place is full of weirdos!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Goes to show - this place is full of weirdos!;)

OI! What are you saying! Eh! oh no wait I am a wierdo :eek:

Advertisement