Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sci Fi book recommendations

Options
  • 12-10-2009 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hey folks .

im hoping the community at large can suggest authors or books of type im finding hard to find . im a big fanof david weber and love the Honor Harrington series. that whole huge space opera / political story has always been a favorite of mine. i also managed to find an author called Mike Shepherd who has a simular styled series in kris longknife.

so thats an idea of what im after , female protagonist , great big space battles , some political slants but hopefully without the bug eyed aliens so much . any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Stephen Donaldson - The Gap Sequence.

Kevin J Andersen - Saga of the Seven Suns

Charles Stross - Saturns Children/Iron Sunrise/Singularity Sky

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

so thats an idea of what im after , female protagonist , great big space battles , some political slants but hopefully without the bug eyed aliens so much . any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated
    Iain M Banks' "Against a Dark Background" ticks pretty much all of those boxes. Less of an 'opera', but a great standalone read. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The Child Garden by Geoff Ryman. It would not be easy to explain without making it sound ridiculous but well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Dades wrote: »
    Iain M Banks' "Against a Dark Background" ticks pretty much all of those boxes. Less of an 'opera', but a great standalone read. :)

+1 That should be perfect for what you're looking for.

Otherwise you might try Peter F. Hamilton's 'Commonwealth' saga, starting with 'Pandora's Star'. Just be warned, it takes a while to get into! A hell of a lot of characters in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭gdael

Or try Asimov's Foundation series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Furious_Daz

JD1763 wrote: »
    Stephen Donaldson - The Gap Sequence.

Kevin J Andersen - Saga of the Seven Suns

Charles Stross - Saturns Children/Iron Sunrise/Singularity Sky

Stay away from this series! The writing style is akin to that of a twelve year old. I read the first book and decided I could probably do better myself if I put my mind to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Matter of taste really but I enjoyed it as a bit of lighter sci-fi fare.

Will we be seeing your space opera submission in creative writing soon? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭steevee

Peter f Hamilton master of space opera !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Stay away from this series! The writing style is akin to that of a twelve year old. I read the first book and decided I could probably do better myself if I put my mind to it...

I thought exactly the same thing when I read another Kevin J Andersen book, one of the Dune prequels. Awful, awful book. Especially annoying considering the original Dune books are favourites of mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Furious_Daz

JD1763 wrote: »
    Matter of taste really but I enjoyed it as a bit of lighter sci-fi fare.

Will we be seeing your space opera submission in creative writing soon? ;)

I doubt it! I should have clarified above that my comment was just my personal opinion. I can see why people would enjoy the story, it's just that the writing style began to annoy me after a while...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 skogs

Ben Bova - The grand tour series. Great space opera especially 'The asteroid wars.' No bug eyed aliens in sight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭zesman

The Man in the High Castle Philip K. Dick

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

zesman wrote: »
    The Man in the High Castle Philip K. Dick
    Not much sci-fi in that really, apart from the alternative future aspect.

Found it very disappointing myself, ended with a whimper, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Dades wrote: »
    Not much sci-fi in that really, apart from the alternative future aspect.

Found it very disappointing myself, ended with a whimper, too.

I found the same, It's supposed to be brilliant though. I was wondering if I'd missed something. It strikes me as something that might need to be re-read.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Peter F. Hamilton is a fantastic space opera author; sprawling canvas, imaginitive technologies, vivid characters, excellent plots and very well written.

If you haven't encountered his work yet, I envy you :)

His most recent stuff is The Commonwealth Saga, which is excellent. I enjoyed his earlier trilogy, "The Night's Dawn", but it's a little hokey and probably a bit too heavy on the sex.

Advertisement