Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java - Standalone App & SQL

Options
  • 12-10-2009 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Could someone point me in the right direction for an SQL database that can be used as part of and integrated as part of the application, without any dependancy on an external database for JAVA? I need to use a database, or at least - it would be beneficial to use one as part of my 4th year project. I have previous experience with SQL, so it would be useful to find a self contained SQL database to use as part of an application.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've not working with Java & DB's as of yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭kenbrady

dlofnep wrote: »
    Could someone point me in the right direction for an SQL database that can be used as part of and integrated as part of the application, without any dependancy on an external database for JAVA? I need to use a database, or at least - it would be beneficial to use one as part of my 4th year project. I have previous experience with SQL, so it would be useful to find a self contained SQL database to use as part of an application.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've not working with Java & DB's as of yet.
    You're in 4th year, that question sound like someone who has never studied computers. There is no logic or any understanding of database or computer applications work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

kenbrady wrote: »
    You're in 4th year, that question sound like someone who has never studied computers. There is no logic or any understanding of database or computer applications work.

Thank you Ken Brady for your wonderful contribution to this forum.

It just so happens that I've found what I'm looking for in Apache Derby, without any help from your good self.

It would appear that you are the one who has never studied "computers".
    Derby provides an embedded JDBC driver that lets you embed Derby in any Java-based solution.

Good day.

Thank you Ken Brady for your wonderful contribution to this forum.

It just so happens that I've found what I'm looking for in Apache Derby, without any help from your good self.

It would appear that you are the one who has never studied "computers".

Good day.
    When you finish your project and hopefully learn something, reread your question and you will see my point.

Will you be using the latest JDK6 to make this project or an older version of java.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Actually his question made perfect sense. He meant that he didn't have to install some ODBC or third party app to have a database he can use in Java (eg. DB2 or MS Access would not be suitable).

Another one you can try is HSQLDB. It is all in one jar file. It has file and live mode. (used by Open Office).

http://hsqldb.org/

Thank you Hobbes. :)

Ken, take your condescending comments elsewhere. This forum is for people to ask for help, not for people to talk down to others for asking questions. My question was perfectly valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

Made perfect sense to me too. Dont see your problem.

How about SQLite - i use it for this type of thing all the time.

It stores all the data in a sqlite file. Allows you to run sql on it also.

Very neat. It has its pitfalls but can be very usefull.

http://www.sqlite.org/

Thank you Hobbes. :)

Ken, take your condescending comments elsewhere. This forum is for people to ask for help, not for people to talk down to others for asking questions. My question was perfectly valid.
    Maybe in your head, but your communication of your needs was poor. The replies will only be as good as the questions.

Before you went looking for what you wanted, did you read the Java documentation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Before you went looking for what you wanted, did you read the Java documentation ?

I'm curious. What is that supposed to accomplish?

[edit] Ah I see Java6 has an out of the box Database. Which is based on Apache Derby. You know you could of just told him that instead of berating him.

Maybe in your head, but your communication of your needs was poor. The replies will only be as good as the questions.

But yet everyone else understood me, except you? Your attitude smacks of elitism to be honest. It would have taken you less effort to just answer my question, than to try and berate me for asking a question. That's what these forums are for.

Hobbes wrote: »
    [edit] Ah I see Java6 has an out of the box Database. Which is based on Apache Derby. You know you could of just told him that instead of berating him.

Thank you Hobbes, I wasn't aware of it - as like I had said, I've yet to work with a database with Java as of yet. You've been very helpful.

Thanks to everyone else for answering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

For the record I thoguht it made perfect sense as well wanting no external component (ie database server etc) as a dependency. Waits for a thanks :pac: :)

Thanks issued :)

Sorry to drag this up - But I submitted my final year project a few days ago. I have to say Apache Derby was a dream to work with. Initially was a bit quirky to get setup - but beyond that, it's really simple.

Advertisement