Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying half the deposit?

Options
  • 12-10-2009 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi,

Myself and a couple of friends are going to be moving into a new place the end of the month.

We're currently looking at a few places and were just wondering - considering the current climate would it be possible to offer half of the deposit rather than a full months rent? We're all in full time permanent secure positions so the rent is guaranteed every month.

Just wondering if this was ever heard of?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Deposit plus a month up front is standard. Unless you're paying rent of several thousand I can't see how the equivalent of two weeks rent would be enough to make any landlord confident of some sort of insurance against property damage.

Of course you can ask..I just know that out of 5 tenants, 2 have done damage (beyond normal wear and tear) to our house in excess of half of the deposit...we'd have stood no chance of getting that money back if we hadn't had the deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I would think you're more likely to get a reduction in the monthly rent rather than a reduction in the deposit. A month's deposit as it is wouldn't really cover major damage!

Advertisement