Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Perry €190k+ expenses???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

John is back on the front of the Sligo champion today complaining that he "only" earns €600...what a total insult to the fools(tax payers) who are footing the bill for this guy!If he had to get his finger out and save the people of sligo travelling the galway for cancer treatment then that might be something worth putting on the front of the paper.€100k a year+ €90k expenses=€600 per week??????

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Why doesn't the gob$hite give some of his 190K toward filling in the potholes on the road between Ballymote and Tubercurry. I made the mistake of driving that road yesterday, it must have come under heavy mortar fire recently, there are that many potholes on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

The road out that direction is cat alright, worst I've see and I've seen a few.

As for Perry, he disgusts me, even before this all came out. Makes my skin crawl, though he still gets backing from plenty of the locals obviously.
    Typical FG asshole, good for nothing, sleezey, argh....

And the way he goes on about how great the USA is really grates me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Pete M. wrote: »
    The road out that direction is cat alright, worst I've see and I've seen a few.

As for Perry, he disgusts me, even before this all came out. Makes my skin crawl, though he still gets backing from plenty of the locals obviously.
    Typical FG asshole, good for nothing, sleezey, argh....

And the way he goes on about how great the USA is really grates me too.

he still gets backing from plenty of the locals obviously

Like the West Sligo people who elected a man convicted of fraud. I would think it was ironic but they do not do irony in Dromore West.

Going back to Ballymote's politicians what is the story with Pat McGrath (Who? you might ask) who proposed, sucessfully, that the County Council interfere in the Borough's affairs. Just what the County Manager wanted!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The.Q

Essexboy wrote: »
    ... what is the story with Pat McGrath (Who? you might ask) who proposed, sucessfully, that the County Council interfere in the Borough's affairs. Just what the County Manager wanted!

In what way did he want the CoCo to interfere with the BoroCo affairs? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

The.Q wrote: »
    In what way did he want the CoCo to interfere with the BoroCo affairs? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely interested.

Sligo County Council have voted to take over responsibility for the maintenance and construction of all national and regional roads in the Borough Council area for the next five years. The fear is that is an attempt to restore, through the backdoor, the projects rejected by the Borough Council eg the Eastern Bridge

See http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=7643

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭proon4

John "expenses" Perry.during the cancer ward debate, said that he would call for a vote of no confidence in the government over the cancer ward closures in Sligo General. Then that would show up the 2 Fianna Fail tds .Jimmy "bluffer" Devins and Eamon" big dinner" Scanlon .If they were genuine they would have had to vote against the government if not then their bluffs would be called. But up to this day "Expenses" Perry has never called for that vote. Why ? Maybe he is afraid that if there was another election at this time he might not be elected ,especially when people realise the amount of money this guy is claiming....... Ponder the thought ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

proon4 wrote: »
    John "expenses" Perry.during the cancer ward debate, said that he would call for a vote of no confidence in the government over the cancer ward closures in Sligo General. Then that would show up the 2 Fianna Fail tds .Jimmy "bluffer" Devins and Eamon" big dinner" Scanlon .If they were genuine they would have had to vote against the government if not then their bluffs would be called. But up to this day "Expenses" Perry has never called for that vote. Why ? Maybe he is afraid that if there was another election at this time he might not be elected ,especially when people realise the amount of money this guy is claiming....... Ponder the thought ?

Enda Kenny has had at least two votes of no confidence aginst the present incumbents and has lost both of them, Why would John Perry bother?

As for Jimmy Devins? Jaysis, don't get me started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭proon4

Fingers..your missing the point. If "expenses" Perry calls for a no vote of confidence in the government over the cancer ward in Sligo General Hospital The two Sligo/Leitrim Fainna Fail TDs have to support Perry..or lose any bit of face they have left in Sligo/North Leitrim. "bluffer" Devins and "big dinner" Scanlon will have to bring down the government

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

ff-ers have been in power for the Bulk of the past 7 Decades , and any Fine Gael reign has been v sporadic when u think abou t it

• Advertisement

Perry is just milking the most out of his expenses while he is a TD...it is a typical "make hay while the sun shines" attitude! this guy claims that is is getting by on only €600 a week which is a bit of an insult to any of the 400k+ people on SW at the moment concidering that he owns a hardware store,hotel,several parcels of land all over sligo,an apartment in dublin..etc,he also managed to sell a land to the county council for over €300+ in recent times!he does not sound like a man on the breadline.If you compare him to the likes of john o dondghue (which you can)at least JOD "pulled" alot of employment and other services to kerry but our TD's sat on their fingers while our hospital has been downgraded to a glorified nursing home:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The.Q

bonzos wrote: »
    <snip>he also managed to sell a land to the county council for over €300+ in recent times!

€300 isn't much for "a land", is it? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Father Dougal

Those marked with ** were only elected during last year therefore their expenses only represent approximately half a year's figures.

* Received Retirement Gratuity
    ** Only Elected Mid-Way Through 2009
    Figures in brackets are the 2008 expenses.

Ballymote Electorial Area

Martin Baker FF €38,832 (€48,950)
    Thomas Collery ** FG €13,618
    Gerard Mullaney FG €30,871 (€32,022)
    Pat McGrath FG €31,634 (€31,417)
    John Sherlock* FF €52,000 (€39,989)

Dromore Electoral Area

Mary Barrett FG €35,755 (€38,806)
    Michael Clarke ** Ind €12,034)
    Paul Comny * FG €63,238 (€30,185)
    Dara Mulvey ** FG €13,814
    Joe Queenan FF €42,684 (€48,957)

Drumcliffe

Patsy Barry FF €36,670 (€35,304)
    Veronica Cawley Lab €63,490 (€47,161)
    Jude Devins FF €70,706 (€67,946)
    Ita Fox * FG €57,586 (€29,539)
    Hubert Keaney ** FG €19,535
    Seamus Kilgannon * €58,530, (€54462)
    Joe Leonard FG €24,761, (€32,905)
    Matt Lyons ** FG €16,679

Strandhill

Declan Bree Ind €41,420 (€47,201)
    Deirdre Healy-McGowan €38,592 (€44,471)
    Imelda Henry FG €33,686 (€36,368)
    Albert Higgins * FF €64,004 (€34,439)
    Sean MacManus SF €37,902 (€45,043)
    Jim McGarry Lab €61,558 (€56,612)
    Tony McLoughlin FG €49,335 (€47,493)
    Rosaleen O'Grady FF €27,553

Tubbercurry

Aiden Colleary * FF €57,509 (€40,381)
    Michael Fleming FG €31,683 (€36,731)
    Margaret Gormley Ind €31,235 (€31,864)
    Gerry Lundy FF €36,475 (€42,840)
    Gerry Murray FG €46,444 (€33,258)

Total €1,239,835 (€1,034,343)

There are widespread calls for councillor's stipends and expenses capped at €25,000. Others have called for the local government position to be a full-time career and paid accordingly.

This is their expenses, they also get a wage from the council and most have a "full time job"
    It's no wonder the country is practically bankrupt.

Those marked with ** were only elected during last year therefore their expenses only represent approximately half a year's figures.

* Received Retirement Gratuity
    ** Only Elected Mid-Way Through 2009
    Figures in brackets are the 2008 expenses.

Ballymote Electorial Area

Martin Baker FF €38,832 (€48,950)
    Thomas Collery ** FG €13,618
    Gerard Mullaney FG €30,871 (€32,022)
    Pat McGrath FG €31,634 (€31,417)
    John Sherlock* FF €52,000 (€39,989)

Dromore Electoral Area

Mary Barrett FG €35,755 (€38,806)
    Michael Clarke ** Ind €12,034)
    Paul Comny * FG €63,238 (€30,185)
    Dara Mulvey ** FG €13,814
    Joe Queenan FF €42,684 (€48,957)

Drumcliffe

Patsy Barry FF €36,670 (€35,304)
    Veronica Cawley Lab €63,490 (€47,161)
    Jude Devins FF €70,706 (€67,946)
    Ita Fox * FG €57,586 (€29,539)
    Hubert Keaney ** FG €19,535
    Seamus Kilgannon * €58,530, (€54462)
    Joe Leonard FG €24,761, (€32,905)
    Matt Lyons ** FG €16,679

Strandhill

Declan Bree Ind €41,420 (€47,201)
    Deirdre Healy-McGowan €38,592 (€44,471)
    Imelda Henry FG €33,686 (€36,368)
    Albert Higgins * FF €64,004 (€34,439)
    Sean MacManus SF €37,902 (€45,043)
    Jim McGarry Lab €61,558 (€56,612)
    Tony McLoughlin FG €49,335 (€47,493)
    Rosaleen O'Grady FF €27,553

Tubbercurry

Aiden Colleary * FF €57,509 (€40,381)
    Michael Fleming FG €31,683 (€36,731)
    Margaret Gormley Ind €31,235 (€31,864)
    Gerry Lundy FF €36,475 (€42,840)
    Gerry Murray FG €46,444 (€33,258)

Total €1,239,835 (€1,034,343)

There are widespread calls for councillor's stipends and expenses capped at €25,000. Others have called for the local government position to be a full-time career and paid accordingly.

This is their expenses, they also get a wage from the council and most have a "full time job"
    It's no wonder the country is practically bankrupt.
    This is unreal when you concider V Cawley gets paid over €60k a year for a part time job and also wasted our money on a reception for a chancer who repeatly lied on court. Ever person in Sligo should persue this woman over what value we are getting for OUR €60k!!!!the only problem is she spend is away on so many bloody junckets you have more chance for meeting her in a different country than in sligo:rolleyes:

Well the retirement gratuity for Conmy is about the only thing that approaches giving value for money. At least he's gone.

And Jude's car must flipping well drink the juice hah :rolleyes:

Yes, you're absolutely right, it is sickening.

But when will it stop?
    The vast majority won't do anything to try and change the system.

It's a joke.

It's actually a sick joke, because there are some (see above) who are laughing

at us....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I'm not sure if I posted this already. I had this discussion with a taxi driver, and the topic quickly went to why do politicians get expenses at all? They should get the same wage that most people in this country get and nothing more. People here have to drive to work, get their lunches and have other expenses as a result of their employment, and it is rare if ever they are given anything for those expenses. It seem ridiculous that politicians get paid below the average wage, yet claim so much in expenses. They should be paid the average industrial wage and that's it. Anything else is ridiculous and will inevitably lead to certain politicians capitalising on the expenses scheme.

Pete M. wrote: »
    Well the retirement gratuity for Conmy is about the only thing that approaches giving value for money. At least he's gone.

And Jude's car must flipping well drink the juice hah :rolleyes:

Yes, you're absolutely right, it is sickening.

But when will it stop?
    The vast majority won't do anything to try and change the system.

It's a joke.

It's actually a sick joke, because there are some (see above) who are laughing

at us....
    Pity he cant get himself a handfree kit...Its rare to see him driving without a phone in his hand!Maybe he is one of Sligo towns group of "special" people who dont have to obey the rules of the road:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lowlife

I've known the man since 1979, when he was single-handedly stocking the shelves off the supermarket late every night, while the rest of the town were either asleep or living it up.
    In terms of sheer hard work, he has never relented for 30 years.
    He was instrumental in extracting a 5-figure sum owed to me by a certain organisation, when all else had failed. As for councillor Dara Mulvey, he is a great guy who is always willing to help.
    That's my experience anyway, and I'm not even a native of Sligo, Ballymote, or even Ireland.
    Some of the posts here remind me of the 'nation of begrudgers' syndrome.

Also, as someone else pointed out, he has been involved in many fund-raising activities over the years. We're all in the same boat, so I think a little 'credit where credit is due' is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

lowlife wrote: »
    I've known the man since 1979, when he was single-handedly stocking the shelves off the supermarket late every night, while the rest of the town were either asleep or living it up.
    He was instrumental in extracting a 5-figure sum owed to me by a certain organisation, when all else had failed. As for councillor Dara Mulvey, he is a great guy who is always willing to help.
    That's my experience anyway, and I'm not even a native of Sligo, Ballymote, or even Ireland.

Also, as someone else pointed out, he has been involved in many fund-raising activities over the years. We're all in the same boat, so I think a little 'credit where credit is due' is in order.

i have also found john perry a genuine guy in business and quite generous in sponsorship on a local level.

lowlife wrote: »

A five figure some? Ya I guess that would be enough for me to ignore most aspects of a man and peddle ridiculously biased opinion as if it has some merit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

To anyone supporting this awful excuse of a TD: i assume you are either ignorant of john perry's record or have never had the unfortunate experience of having a family member or close friend suffer from cancer.

john perry, for anyone who is unaware, made a promise before his election to restore sligo general hospital's cancer services within 100 days of being elected TD. This was a recorded public promise which was made during a press conference, when he was asked about the issue by a local cancer support group full of people who had either suffered from or had loved ones suffer from cancer.

That promise was made on June 16, 2011. It still has never been fulfilled. John Perry actually said he would resign if he broke the promise he made, but he won't be going anywhere with that salary, rest assured.

Hard working? Try taking a bus back and forth to Galway for chemo. That's hard work.
    Imagine lying to cancer patients to get elected? He needs to go back to stocking shelves, apparently he was a great hand at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I take little comfort in saying that at least I didn't vote for him.

What really annoys me, is after working on the campaign and seeing all the politicians that did regularly attend the meetings, it was clear as day who was there with any conviction and who needed the votes in the upcoming elections.

Worst of all is the fact that After the amount of time that has passed, after all the lies that were peddled and the politicians involved in piggybacking on the pain and suffering of cancer patients in the north west that nothing has changed or probably will change.
    John Perry and his ilk are still in their high paid positions, and it's horrible to think of the tactics he consciously used to get there, but the people of Sligo and the northwest have largely let this issue go.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/minister-is-given-aib-loan-despite-his-credit-issues-3223665.html

Maybe this thread needed resurrection?

It just keeps getting worse!

And I don't like quoting the Sindo but jaysus...:eek:

He is some serious bit of nasty business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

One set of rules for the likes of Minister Perry and another for the rest of us.

Don't think I've ever disliked a politician as much as this cowboy. Him denying that he made that promise really,really pissed me off.

Edit: I remember someone here posting the link to his radio interview with Ocean Fm before and he hung up, can anyone find that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Don't think I've ever disliked a politician as much as this cowboy. Him denying that he made that promise really,really pissed me off.

Edit: I remember someone here posting the link to his radio interview with Ocean Fm before and he hung up, can anyone find that?

In all it's entirety. All 1:39 secs.

http://soundcloud.com/oceanfm/minister-john-perry-fg-hangs

Advertisement