Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laos

• 12-10-2009 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hey guys, Im hoping to go to SEA after christmas and am wondering whether Laos is worth visiting?? I havent heard much about when compared to cambodia, vietnam et al. Also, is a visa required?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I'd put Laos as my second favorite country in that region. Vietnam first and Thailand last. Visa is 36/37 dollars or 40/41 depending on where you cross. You can get it in Bangkok or on the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Dante09

Thanks for your reply. Dont want to sound silly but may I ask what, in particular is there to see and do in laos, that you would rank it so highly on your list?
    Also can I ask if you can get visas for cambodia and vietnam at the border or do you have to organize them before hand??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

Dante09 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. Dont want to sound silly but may I ask what, in particular is there to see and do in laos, that you would rank it so highly on your list?
    Also can I ask if you can get visas for cambodia and vietnam at the border or do you have to organize them before hand??

Vang Vieng is famous for tubing - a big pi** up for Westerners. I was embarrassed to be there to be honest.

Luan Pra Bang (not sure of spelling) is a lovely, cheap spot to chill out for a few days.

Vientiane, the capital, is a bit boring to be honest. Everything closes at 11.

Try go up to Northern Laos - some great little villages up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Dante09 wrote: »

Really liked Laos mainly because of how laid back most of the country was. The people were friendly in a more genuine way than most of the Thai's you encounter. The tubing in Vang Vieng is good craic if you want to just go on a bit of a session in an unusual setting. It's something different but the once is probably enough. Some people do it for days in a row. The town itself doesn't have much but cool to chill out in. Some decent bars that show films and tv shows all day. Friends most of the time or family guy.

Luang Prabang is more of a cultural experience. Temples, some french architecture, there's caves and waterfalls close by, trekking and markets. There's a bowling place that is open late and it's just a nice clean town to chill out in and relax with a few drinks. Or smoke if that's your thing.

As mentioned above Vientiane isn't really worth that much attention. Kinda boring.

Luang Namtha is a jump off point for hill treks in the north and is a popular place.

You can get the Cambodia visa on the border. Should be 20 US dollars. You'll get people trying to bring you to a fake immigration hut. Don't pay them. Just go straight to the real one by following the signs. The Vietnamese one must be obtained in advance. Easily done in most of the bigger cities. It can be done in Phnom Pehn if you are down that way. Any guesthouse should provide the service. It's around the 35-40 dollar mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Dante09

Thanks a mil for all of that info..will defo be giving laos a look so
    Didnt realize the visas were so cheap.
    I just went into a travel shop today and was told cambodia 100eur and vietnam 150eur.
    The only thing is, is that i'll be a first time traveler so im thinking one of those massive tours. I found one that starts in beijing, all the way sown the east of coast of china, vietnam, cambodia and across to bangkok. AFAIK will they not require me to have my visas sorted before hand??
    the tour im looking at is with intrepid...do you know if theyre any good??
    its nearly 2 months in total, so from there im thinking of going it alone through phukett, malaysia and singapore in about 3-4 weeks. Then im hoping to see the himalayan countries tibet, nepal and bhutan? Any comments or ideas on those three are welcome...Im looking to travel for a max of about 4 months.

Thanks a million and sorry about all of the questions....if you dont want to answer, ill understand

• Advertisement
Advertisement