Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(possibly) moving to Ennis

• 12-10-2009 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

I may be moving to Ennis in the new year (from Dublin).

I'll be working in Shannon, and my wife + two new babies will be with me.

Ideally looking for a biggish house to rent to allow for extended family who will be staying with us pretty regularly.

Want to be very close (short walk) to center of town but want to live somewhere "nice" (whatever that means).

Suggestions? Advice? Things to avoid? Places to avoid?

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

There are a lot of options within a mile of the town center. I'm not sure exactly what the best places are because you wouldn't know unless you live there yourself. Estates I can think of off the top of my head with larger, detatched houses (and probably less chance of their being a rental tenent and 10 cars outside the gaff) would be Willsgrove (on Cahercalla Road), College Grove (next to St. Flannans college) and... it's impossible to remember the names of these places cos they're all so blandly named.

Main places to avoid would probably be the massive labyrinthine estates on the Limerick road, and dingy old estates which you probably wouldn't be looking at anyway because the houses are too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

lots of new estates on the lahinch and tulla road, both have quick slip roads to get you onto the motorway straight to shannon, myself and my missus live in a large 3 bed semi, rents for these types are cheap these days under 700, lots of great value in the rental market in town at the moment, we looked at a few places recently as we moved from our last place

tulla road area is nice, you have roslevin shoping center if you didnt fancy the 5 minute trip into town, and the motorway as i said is literally down the road,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Anywhere except the Gort road would be ideal for you I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Dont move to the hawthorns/bramble lane estate anyways. Seems to be alot of anti-social behaviour going on around there these days.
    And westfields has loadsa young wans hanging around so avoid like the plague, id say, if you're not into all that. Both on the limerick road.

College grove seems preety cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Try one of the local auctioneers, I use Location, location to rent my house find them good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,471 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You can get very good value renting large well speced houses in the better parts of town.

Ballybeg is nice, just beside the bypass so very convenient to shannon. only a 10 minute walk to the town centre and it has a nice woodland behind it
    there are two 4 bed houses on Daft in that area, both with big gardens and very reasonable rent (expecially compared with dublin prices.)
    http://www.daft.ie/2783993
    http://www.daft.ie/2790028
    presumably you have your own furniture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

Tulla Road ticks every box for you imo. Very handy for Shannon, 5 mins from town and the Roslevan SC is a godsend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Check out Daft - all of their listings have maps and can tell you how far out the houses are.

www.daft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 33 RAMADAN

Don't move to Ennis. If you have extended family in Dublin, it would be MUCH better to be closer to Limerick. How about Sixmilebridge? Very close to Shannon, but also only 20-25 mins from Birdhill (Dubliun Road) by the back roads? You would then be able to choose Limerick or Ennis as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

DO NOT ATTEMPT to live in sixmilebridge.
    what was once a lovely village has now been transformed into an urban nightmare.Over development without any of the neccessary infrastructures to substain the ever growing population.
    Daily traffic jams.
    Over crowding in the schools.
    No large scale supermarket.
    Due to it's close proximality to limerick city some criminal elements are also moving in to the area.
    Unfortunately, What was once a perfect living enviroment has been turned into the perfect example of inadaquate planning.
    Tulla road or the quin road in Ennis IMO would be your best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Don't move to Ennis, there is nothing here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

exiot wrote: »
    Don't move to Ennis, there is nothing here!

That's bullsh**, Ennis is one of the nicer towns in Ireland. It has pretty much everything you need, if not, you can get to Limerick in 30 mins or Galway in an hour.

I agree, Tulla Road is your best bet from a location point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Kilrush road, is a nice choice, seems to be reasonable rents out that way as well. with quick access to the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 33 RAMADAN

Kilrush road, is a nice choice, seems to be reasonable rents out that way as well. with quick access to the motorway
    I was looking at house and site prices in the wider Ennis area recently. Seems there are certainly some bargains to be had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

There's a massive oversupply of houses at the minute. I'd say you could knock a hundred euros off most of the advertised prices and get a nice place for 550 or even 500.

Advertisement