Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

where to put all your data

• 12-10-2009 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

folks,

I'm interested in any discussion that hopefully will arise here. If we are all taking more and more digital photos now on, where do we put them?

On an external HDD?
    It will eventually fail or be upgraded. so do we keep moving more and more data from old to new disks ?

On the web?
    If so where? How many photos will you take in your lifetime? will Flickr host them all? what if Flickr or others goes belly up ? You could host them on your own web space but what about cost? maintenance? upkeep ?

How do you link metadata to your pictures ? I know about EXIF but what about the all important title / description / names of those in pic / location / funny anecdotes or stories about the pic (this information is priceless especially over time). We can use a database script such as gallery2 or some other program, but if you ever move a picture, the link to its metadata is broken.

What do you store?
    If you shoot on digital you probably shoot 20 pics to get one good one. Do you keep the 20, or keep the one ? or perhaps the best 5 etc ?

Where are we really headed with all these pics that amount to TB's of data for us all to have to manage ? Is there a solution ? Where do you see your photos in 40 years time ? are they all on the web ? in different places ? are they all on external HDD's? if so how to you manage them ? how do you find that gem you took 35 years ago ? do you even remember it ? are your photos seeing the light of day at all ? if we are so time poor, then we do not have time to look at all these millions of photos so who sees them ? are they competing with the billions of photos that others are taking ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

dnme wrote: »
    folks,
    On an external HDD?
    It will eventually fail or be upgraded. so do we keep moving more and more data from old to new disks ?

Yes, everything on at least 2 disks, and ideally a regualr backup to disk(s) offsite.
    On the web?
    If so where? How many photos will you take in your lifetime? will Flickr host them all? what if Flickr or others goes belly up ? You could host them on your own web space but what about cost? maintenance? upkeep ?

No harm also having them on the web. Trying to keep all images online would require a lot of space, but hosting like dreamhost.com offer makes it at least possible. You also need a decent broadband uplink. At the very least it's possible and cheap enough to put all your best pics on flickr or pix.ie
    How do you link metadata to your pictures ? I know about EXIF but what about the all important title / description / names of those in pic / location / funny anecdotes or stories about the pic (this information is priceless especially over time). We can use a database script such as gallery2 or some other program, but if you ever move a picture, the link to its metadata is broken.

Metadata in the image file itself is the way to go, there are other formats for this apart from EXIF like XMP that allow custom fields etc so it's not a problem
    What do you store?
    If you shoot on digital you probably shoot 20 pics to get one good one. Do you keep the 20, or keep the one ? or perhaps the best 5 etc ?

I keep everything I take that isn't technically flawed (i.e. out of focus, extremely under/over exposed). You never know what pictures may have zero significance now, but much in the future. Disk space is cheap, there's no need for me to delete.
    Where are we really headed with all these pics that amount to TB's of data for us all to have to manage ? Is there a solution ? Where do you see your photos in 40 years time ? are they all on the web ? in different places ? are they all on external HDD's? if so how to you manage them ? how do you find that gem you took 35 years ago ? do you even remember it ? are your photos seeing the light of day at all ? if we are so time poor, then we do not have time to look at all these millions of photos so who sees them ? are they competing with the billions of photos that others are taking ?

I see all my pics always fitting on one or two drives. The price/size of drives is only making it easier to store my pics. I don't know what direction things on the web will go, but I guess the idea of cloud storage is probably here to stay.

You raise some good questions about the sheer numbers of photos we'll have, I imagine most will never be seen again, but as long as you're always identifying the real keepers and tagging them as such, they will be easy to find and enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I have about 5TB of images - and growing.

all except the last couple of weeks on hard drives - in chronilogical order, also have the ones that I sent out to newspapers backed up on two different online areas (Gmail) and personal online account ( I dont use Flickr/Pix or any of those)

as for remembering pics - somehow I seem to remember that I took pics or this or pics of that and just need to find when !!! ( or sometimes find what it was filed under - the important pics are filed with the uncaptioned pics so makes it easy to find the originals)

Hopefully in the next 6-12months I'll go through all my images and catalogue them properly ..... file them and have my own organised stock of images.

Advertisement