Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MR and MC

• 12-10-2009 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Wounder if anybody would like to help me with a question I can't get my head around.Mods feel free to move/delete.

If Cost function is 1/2Q^2. Marginal Cost is Q through diferentiation.
    But if Q is stated as Q: 1 - P.

Total Revenue can be moved around to result in Q-Q^2.
    Leaving a differentiated Marginal Revenue of 1 - 2Q.

The question is if I am to plot or draw the marginal revenue and marginal cost curve. I will continue to get a negative MR Due to the way the function is constructed. Do i Ignore the negative while inputing numbers to draw the curves. Its a monoplosit.

Any Help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

jayj224 wrote: »
    I will continue to get a negative MR Due to the way the function is constructed.

There's your problem. If
    [latex]TR = Q - Q^2[/latex]
    [latex]MR = 1 - 2Q[/latex]
    which isn't negative over the entire range of numbers. What about when Q=0.1? Sure, it's downward-sloping, but it's supposed to be. It's not negative "where it counts".

I get a reasonable equilibrium.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jayj224

There's your problem. If
    [latex]TR = Q - Q^2[/latex]
    [latex]MR = 1 - 2Q[/latex]
    which isn't negative over the entire range of numbers. What about when Q=0.1? Sure, it's downward-sloping, but it's supposed to be. It's not negative "where it counts".

I get a reasonable equilibrium.

Thanks Time Magazine, I understand MR should be downward sloping, I may have worded it wrong how would it be possible to have 0.1 of quantity as Q represents Qty all my examples have full figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

MR = MC to solve for q*, then you can find P*. Pretty small graph though :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

jayj224 wrote: »
    Thanks Time Magazine, I understand MR should be downward sloping, I may have worded it wrong how would it be possible to have 0.1 of quantity as Q represents Qty all my examples have full figures.

Quantities are often in thousands or millions.

Monopolists set MC=MR.

So we have

1-2Q = Q
    1 = 3Q
    3Q = 1
    Q = 1/3.

I assume P = 1 - Q, then with Q=1/3, P = 2/3.

So the equilibrium would be, for example, P=€0.67 and 333 units are sold.

As yer man said, small graph :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jayj224

Thanks for the help guys, you cleared everything up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement