Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decentralisation 315 million euro spent so far

Options
  • 12-10-2009 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭

Document on PSEU web site shows over €315 million spent to July 2009, with official numbers of about 2,500 people 'decentralised from Dublin' including an unknown number of people who never lived or worked in Dublin in the first place.

Not shown is the cost of re-training, lost productivity and wasted skills.

Latest news is that some of the Dublin people who did move, now want to return to Dublin.

Will the 'decentralisation' project to take jobs away from Dublin still be a FF policy when it looks desperately to hold any seats in Dublin at the next election?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

well tbh with you back in 2006/2007 decentralisation was a great long term solution if things kept going the way they were, i.e. the cost of the buildings in dublin was insane not to mention the cost of the employees living in dublin( i.e. they required a higher wage to pay for a larger mortgage ). The sale of the assets in dublin could have made them a lot of money, but typical government they made a hash of it.

Look at RTE in 2006, the amount of prime land they have in D4/Stillorgan and its value was insane for them to continue there, at a time when they were increasing our stupid license fee they could have sold all that crap and moved to Kildare only for the Pat Kenny's and the Ryans would have been inconvienenced. Looking back now im glad they didnt as that would have been another thing thrown into Nama lol.

Im in the private sector, got moved from dublin and had absolutely no problem with it in fact im glad i did move when i did. I place a lot of the blame on the PS for decentralisation failing at the time, jebus didnt anyone have respect for actually having employment back then? ahh they probably still dont.

Looking at it now it is wasted money, but really only for the fact that the property in dublin is worthless now anyway.

The biggest joke on decentralisation is loads of folk actually wanted to move but they were employing them in Dublin, my wife works in the PS, she asked to be employed in a few locations outside of Dublin and they gave her a job in dublin???? that was during decentralisation.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Decentralisation was a complete success.
    Its only aim was to deflect attention from a bad budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

It was an appalling strategy, and remains one - if it were wrapped up now it would show a farcical minimum cost of €126,000 per person relocated.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Ill thought out,doomed to failure from the word go.

And it still hasn't been jettisoned, if I am correct in my assumption.

Officially that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Decentralisation is far older than the McCreevy budget. Alls he did was raise the stakes.

It was always a terrible idea, which sought to buy votes while costing us in terms of public sector efficiency.

• Advertisement
Advertisement