Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Air Corps PC9M down

• 12-10-2009 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1012/cornamona.html

Aer Corps aircraft crashes in Co Galway
    Monday, 12 October 2009 19:51
    The Irish Aviation Authority has said an Aer Corps Pilatus PC9 aircraft has crashed at Crumlin East near Cornamona in Connemara, Co Galway.

The accident is believed to have happened shortly after 6pm this evening.

Emergency services, including a Coast Guard helicopter, ambulances and fire service personnel are on the way to the scene.

A spokesman for the Coast Guard service said a number of local people had reported seeing the aircraft in difficulty and preparing to make an emergency landing.

The Irish Aviation Authority says three Aircorp planes were operating in the area earlier this evening.

So far only two have been accounted for.

The spokeswoman said there was no further information about how many people were on board

:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Jesus,hope to god the pilots made it out and nobody was injured.

:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

Just found this out a minute ago. Hope theres a good outcome for the pilot/crew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MetalDawg

just found out a minute ago as well, I hope everyone on board is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Air Corps aircraft crashes in Co Galway
    Monday, 12 October 2009 20:37
    The Irish Aviation Authority has said an Air Corps Pilatus PC9 aircraft has crashed at Crumlin East near Cornamona in Connemara, Co Galway.

The aircraft carrying a flight instructor and cadet were part of a flying training exercise of three aircraft that left Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel at 5.45pm.

The accident is believed to have happened shortly after 6pm this evening.

The two other aircraft have safely returned to Galway airport.

A number of local people reported seeing the aircraft in difficulty and preparing to make an emergency landing.

An Air Accident Investigation team from the Air Corps and Department of Transport have been dispatched to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

Steyr wrote: »

Air Corps aircraft crashes in Co Galway

I realise this topic fits under several different categories but what are you doing posting it in multiple forums?! It would be nice to have one thread do be able to check for updates on this.

• Advertisement

ScabbyLeg wrote: »
    I realise this topic fits under several different categories but what are you doing posting it in multiple forums?! It would be nice to have one thread do be able to check for updates on this.

Its handier as I and many others would not frequent the Aviation forum.I wouldent of heard of this until the news.

It's also in the military forum!

This is the military forum. Whats your problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

This is the military forum!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Jesus, I just heard.

Hope to f*ck that they got out in time!!!!!!

• Advertisement

This is the military forum!!!!!!

You see! I can't keep track!
    Ah no, fair enough but it's annoying none the less!

DF spokesman Comdt Young on TV now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Gentlemen..a more appropriate time for this. Lets wait for more intel shall we, Steyr posts here regularly and thankfully he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

12 Oct 09. Air Corps Aircraft missing tonight.
    Today at 22:01
    Defence Forces Press Office
    12 October 2009

Statement

An Air Corps PC 9 two seater training aircraft has been reported missing in the area of Crumlin-East/Crumlin West, north of Lough Corrib, on the Galway-Mayo border, at approx 6.20 pm this evening. The aircraft carrying an instructor and cadet were part of a flying training exercise that departed Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel this evening at 5.45 pm.

The two other aircraft have safely recovered to Galway airport. An Air Accident Investigation team from the Air Corps and Department of Transport have been dispatched. Gardai from Clifden are enroute to the scene and local Fire Officers are onscene now also.

ENDS.

Gavin Young
    Commandant
    Defence Forces Press Officer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Lads, I don't care if Santa Claus told you something about this crash.

The next person to post rumours regarding our 2 comrades from the Aer Corps will be taking a holiday from the Military forum.

Consider this the only warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Its Official

R.I.P lads!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Was just on the news on RTE2 that the two Air Corps lads were killed.

R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Defence Forces Press Office
    12 October 2009. 11.10 pm.

Statement
    The crew and wreckage of the Air Corps Pilatus PC 9 reported missing this evening have been located and the two crew members, the flight instructor and cadet pilot, are unfortunately confirmed dead. Their remains are at the scene of the crash, which has been sealed off by local Gardaí and Fire Crews.

The crash site will be examined at first light tomorrow morning by Air Accident Investigators from the Air Corps and Department of Transport. The remains of the two crew can only be removed after the scene has been cleared of the explosives from the PC 9 ejector seats which would be at the crash site also.

Names of the crew of the aircraft will not be released until it is confirmed that their families have been informed by Air Corps personnel. The Chief of Staff, Lieutenant General Dermot Earley and the General Officer Commanding the Air Corps, Brigadier General Ralph James have expressed their deepest sympathies on behalf of the Defence Forces at this difficult time for the families of these deceased airmen.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.

I'm absolutely gutted... This is a sad day for the DF.

RIP

R.I.P

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=68888

It says here that there were 2 fatalities,

*post was made while others were posting, apologies for repeating the sad news*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Just heard this on the news on RTE 2. Terrible tragedy and an awful coincidence that this should happen the same evening they showed a documentary about the Dauphin crash in 1999 on RTE 1 earlier this evening.

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

R.I.P.
    Thoughts and prayers are with the deceased's family's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

RIP - my condolences to the families at this terrible time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

RIP, terrible news :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭-aurora

i cant believe this its horrilble news for the lads and there families. Tomorrow will be a somber day in work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Rob67

R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

R.I.P.

May They Rest In Peace.:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

RIP, condolences to their families and friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Absolutely terrible news - RIP :(

Ah jesus,only heard it was official just there now:(

RIP to the lads and every condolences to the two mens families.A sad day for the Irish Defence Forces:(

:(:(

My cousins Bf is in the Air Corp,working as ground crew,can only imagine how he is feeling now:(

RIP. My deepest condolences to their families and comrades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

RIP, and my deepest condolances to their friends, family and colleagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

RIP lads, condolences to family, friends, colleagues and comrades.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Think this is the latest news about it...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/.../breaking4.htm
    Air Corps pilots killed in training flight
    CONOR LALLY and LORNA SIGGINS

Separate investigations by the Defence Forces and the aviation authority are underway after two Air Corps pilots were killed when their training flight crashed in Co Mayo yesterday evening.

The captain and cadet were manning a two-seater training plane that came down about five miles west of Cong village after 6pm.

A spokeswoman for the Irish Aviation Authority said a local woman had raised the alarm after a loud bang was heard in the area where three Air Corps aircraft had been flying.

“At around 6pm a woman rang the air traffic control in Shannon to report that a plane had gone low overhead and that she heard a loud bang immediately after.”

The other two Pilatus PC 9 aircraft and crew landed safely at Galway Airport, where all three aircraft had been due to refuel shortly after 6pm.

The planes had taken off at 5.45pm from Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel, Co Dublin, for their training flights across the country. The plane that went down was reported missing about 35 minutes after takeoff.

After air traffic control at Shannon was notified an Irish Coast Guard helicopter was despatched from Shannon. The wreckage was then located in Crimlin east.

The search was focused on the area of Crimlin-East/Crimlin-West, between Lough Corrib and Lough Mask.

Minister for Defence Willie O’Dea said: “I am receiving regular updates from the Chief of Staff on the unfolding situation. My thoughts and prayers are with the two men and their families at this time.”

The crash scene was described by military sources as a “rugged and mountainous” spot where low-flying exercises are carried out.

Emergency lighting had been erected at the crash scene last night in a bid to aid the search. Gardaí from Clifden sealed off the area and units of the local fire brigade were assisting the search.

There were reports last night the plane was attempting to make an emergency landing when it crashed.

Separate investigations by the Defence Forces and the aviation authority have commenced in an effort to establish the cause of the crash. Air Corps personnel travelled to the homes of the two pilots to break the news to their families of their deaths. The Irish Times understands the cadet under training was from Co Wexford while the other pilot was a senior instructor from the south Dublin area.

Their plane was one of eight Pilatus PC 9 aircraft that went into service in 2004. Air accident investigator teams from the Air Corps and the Department of Transport were travelling to Mayo last night.

Tragic stuff.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭deanswift

RIP

Play golf beside Baldonnell, and see these Pilateus aircraft regularly.
    They seem to me to be highly manoeuvrable and capable of extremely fast flying.
    Have often watched in amazement at the aerial acrobatics out at Baldonnell being performed by these aircraft.
    Just wondering do these aircraft have the so called black box that commercial jets have.

May they rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Just heard through a family member that I went to school with the Cadet involved.

The families have been notified obviously, but I wont release his name here until its official.

RIP.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Very sad news. thoughts are with the familys and mates of these fellas. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

The names have officially been released, they are

Captain Derek Furniss (32) and Cadet David Jevens (22)

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

RIP this is terrible news.

I read that the planes had ejector seats. I was just wondering would there be any reason why the pilots would not have ejected??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Probably best to wait and see what the Accident Report says before theorising on why the ejector seats weren't used. Not directed at you DanDan, just a general statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

Very sad news.
    I knew Captain Furniss from his athletic endeavours and only last Sunday we were cheering him and his teammates to a great team result in the Dublin Cross Country race.
    R.I.P.

Been reported on worldairpics that Pilatus PC-9M, registration 265, was the aircraft that crashed in Connemara.

As it so happens, 265 was the aircraft that flew the solo display at the Connemara Air Show at Clifden in June of this year.

http://www.worldairpics.com/forum/index.php?topic=1866.15

ALSO

The Air Corps says the cause of the accident has not been established, but data recorders from the aircraft which may help the investigation have been recovered at the crash site.

The instruments were removed from the plane and have been taken to Air Corps headquarters at Casement Aerodrome in Baldonnel for examination.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1013/cornamona.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Says he would've been 22 today that is devastating.

From military.ie

http://www.military.ie/dfhq/pubrel/news/2009/october/new13Octa.htm

Tributes Paid to Air Corps Crew

The remains of Captain Derek Furniss and Cadet David Jevens have been removed from the crash site to University College Hospital Galway. As the investigation continues into the causes of the crash of the Pilatus PC-9 last night, General Officer Commanding the Air Corps, Brigadier General Ralph James summed up the mood at the moment by saying:

"The Air Corps is devastated by the loss these two very fine young men. The mood here is very sombre. Derek was a consummate professional who set and drove standards in all his work in Baldonnel.

David was living his life’s dream to become an Air Corps pilot and was on the cusp of achieving that later in the year with his classmates. Their loss is felt deeply here in Casement but also within the family’s I have met and the community’s they are from."

Captain Matt Quinlan who worked and instructed with Derek Furniss in the Flight Training School spoke of the loss of the two men saying:

“Derek worked in flight training for a long time here in Baldonnel and his legacy will always be the standards he set for everyone. He was an excellent teacher and he was always the steady hand within the school that was called upon for informed insight into individual cadet pilots. He was also an avid Leinster Rugby supporter who held season tickets.

David was a member of the 27 Air Corps Cadet Class with six other classmates who have visited his family today. He was a quiet individual who worked very hard. When you flew with him you knew his preparation would be 100% because he was so committed. He went home to his beloved Wexford every weekend to be with friends and family and would have turned 22 [years of age] today.

This is a very difficult time for all of us here, but nothing compared to Derek and David’s families and our hearts go out to them. Their loss is immeasurable.”

From a young age Captain Derek Furniss was highly involved in Scouting Ireland and actively supported and promoted scouting activities in south Dublin. He completed the Dublin City Marathon in 2008 and went on to further athletic success with Rathfarnham Athletic Club. Derek was also an avid Leinster and Ireland rugby fan and as a season ticket holder attended every home game.

Derek recently achieved academic success with the award of a first class honours Bachelor of Science Degree through the School of Business in DIT. He also held a Degree in Marketing and as fan of Coldplay attended all their recent Irish concerts.

Cadet David Jevens was scheduled to graduate with his Military Pilot Wings and Officer Commission later this year. David also had a keen interest in motor sports, owning and restoring several vehicles. In recent times, he became involved in Kayaking and, in the process, taught himself to swim. A keen model aircraft pilot, David was renowned in the Wexford model flying community for his skill, and also his enduring interest in Search and Rescue flying.

As a mark of respect to our two Air Corps colleagues the Defence Forces Annual Gala Concert scheduled for Saturday 17 October 2009 at the National Concert Hall has been postponed until the New Year.

Further information from:

Press Officer: Comdt. Gavin Young 01 8042687 : 087 2482130

e-mail: pressofficer@defenceforces.iol.ie web: www.military.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭meathmannn

Firstly my deepest sympathies to friends colleagues and families of these two men.
    I felt very angry watching news covering the funeral. Where are all our politicians etc.? These two men gave their lives training to protect their country.

No disrespect to anyone else, but a dead pop singer got more publicity, and I'd take a good guess there will be more public representatives at that burial.

• Advertisement
Advertisement