Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Air Corps PC9M down

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1016/6news_av.html

Ceremony at Cadet Jevens' funeral today, from the RTE news.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭deanswift

How tragic that these men gave their lives training to be pilots to fly pratts of fianna fail ministers to every dogfight god knows where in the world.
    Since search and rescue now is with a different agency.
    All the media focus on the death of a pop star from a boy band whose death happened seeming from an overdose of alcohol.
    Life is indeed strange.
    May they rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

deanswift wrote: »
    How tragic that these men gave their lives training to be pilots to fly pratts of fianna fail ministers to every dogfight god knows where in the world.
    Since search and rescue now is with a different agency.
    All the media focus on the death of a pop star from a boy band whose death happened seeming from an overdose of alcohol.
    Life is indeed strange.
    May they rest in peace.

While I agree some politicians should've gone to their funerals the reason Stephen Gatley got all the media coverage is because he was known worldwide or at least throughout Europe these men, unfortuneatly wheren't.

You also have to take into account that it was a training flight. They didnt die fighting a war or on a peace-keeping mission. This of course doesn't make their death less sad or tragic.you just have to bear it in mind when relating their death to the media coverage it received.

RIP.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

pmg58 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1016/6news_av.html

Ceremony at Cadet Jevens' funeral today, from the RTE news.

Volley was a bit ragged.

Was his dad a former serviceman? Seemed he was saluting?

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Volley was a bit ragged.

Was his dad a former serviceman? Seemed he was saluting?

NTM

Im not sure.

I do know that his current line of work was installing electrical items into cars - phone kits, alarms etc. I must ask my oul fella, he knows him.

I'll agree with the comment about the volley too - it was like a mexican wave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

Im not sure.

I do know that his current line of work was installing electrical items into cars - phone kits, alarms etc. I must ask my oul fella, he knows him.

I'll agree with the comment about the volley too - it was like a mexican wave.

Its not something thats exactly practiced on a regular basis in the air corps....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

murf313 wrote: »
    Its not something thats exactly practiced on a regular basis in the air corps....

They had four days to get it right.

Have a look at what the 37th cadet class did for JFK's funeral in a similar timeframe:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

At the end of the day I dont think the Gun salute is what the family cares about.If its done well,grand,if it isent then so be it.Trivial things tbh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

At the end of the day I dont think the Gun salute is what the family cares about.If its done well,grand,if it isent then so be it.Trivial things tbh

It's all part of the package, and a very obvious bit of it. You can point out that at the end of the day, the family probably don't care about a military funeral at all, but if the State is going to make a representation, it would behoove the State to say "We care enough about this that we're going to get it right"

I've done about forty gun salutes so far, and over 400 military funerals total (In the US, not all military funerals are full honours with the three volleys), I've gotten a fair feel for what the families notice.

0648.jpg

0671.jpg

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

gizmo555 wrote: »
    They had four days to get it right.

Have a look at what the 37th cadet class did for JFK's funeral in a similar timeframe:

well in that case the cadet class should have done it....

i dont know if you have any military experience but if you do you will know that everyone in the air corps has an employment such as aircraft technician etc etc. they would certainly not of been standing around for four days with nothing to do but practice. i know it sounds crap but thats the way it is.....

the cadet class are in training 24/7 and do drill everyday so its not a fair comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

You can point out that at the end of the day, the family probably don't care about a military funeral at all, but if the State is going to make a representation, it would behoove the State to say "We care enough about this that we're going to get it right"

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

It's all part of the package, and a very obvious bit of it. You can point out that at the end of the day, the family probably don't care about a military funeral at all, but if the State is going to make a representation, it would behoove the State to say "We care enough about this that we're going to get it right"

I understand,Iam sure that every effort was put into it,and as much time and prep aswell.I was just seeing it from the family's point of view.

Btw,In the first pic,what are them ranks?

Iam thinking first guy is private,then Sgt and Cpl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Lads, this thread is about the death of 2 serving members of the Defence Forces and subsequently paying respects.

I'd very much appreciate if you didn't turn it into a thread full of criticism of the drill carried out by the Aer Corps. There's a time and a place to have a crib over drill, this isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭doleman2010

time check 21.17 18 05 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

what the **** is your problem?

• Advertisement
Advertisement