Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia E51 or I Phone 3g

• 12-10-2009 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Wondering which phone to get and any advice would be much appreciated.
    Can get E51 as upgrade but i like the I Phone and am unsure which to get.

Nokia E51 or I Phone 3g 9 votes

Nokia E51
    0% 0 votes
    Apple I Phone 3g
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'd like the e51 because I hate touch screen and like Symbian.
    My sister would pick the iPhone because it's stylish and she likes fancy things.

Would suggest a quick read of this and maybe we can help you make a more informed decision :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭SuperMario

my apologies, i didnt see that before i posted.

Features: camera, bluetooth, gps is a plus, internet
    Form factor doesnt really bother me, iv had most kinds over the years
    Internet: very important to me (e mails, browsing etc)
    Operator: im currently with vodafone (if getting i phone i will either get unlocked one or transfer to 02)
    price range relative to both phones listed.

Thanks for help.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

SuperMario wrote: »
    Wondering which phone to get and any advice would be much appreciated.
    Can get E51 as upgrade but i like the I Phone and am unsure which to get.
    I would hang on a month or two and get the E52.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Have you considered the E72 due out soon ?
    Get some nice QWERTY for yourself, plus a better camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Jonathan wrote: »
    I would hang on a month or two and get the E52.

I'd wait till they have the firmware definitely sorted out on the e52.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I've had an E51 for a year and a half. I've considered an iPhone several times but I've always decided ultimately to stay away from one. I have used iPhones briefly on occasion though, as well as the iPod Touch. Here's my synopsis of the two, based on your criteria:

The cameras on both are equally awful.

GPS is not available on the E51 without an external receiver. It is on the iPhone.

Bluetooth is available on both, but is completely unrestricted on the E51. The iPhone's Bluetooth capabilities are crippled by Apple.

Regarding internet, both have pros and cons:

The default browser on the E51 is quite clunky, slow and tends to crash on me a lot, despite several firmware upgrades. However, Opera Mini 4 runs like a charm on it, and features, among other things, a built-in RSS reader. that I use a lot. Opera Mini 5 is shaping up to be even better, finally adding support for tabbed browsing. For Flash support, Skyfire and Bolt are available, although I find both awkward to use for everyday browsing. The small low-res screen does get quite annoying too.

The iPhone offers a fantastic browsing experience, mainly due to the large, responsive touchscreen. However, mobile Safari is crippled. There's no Flash support (and no easy way to get it, even with a jailbroken phone). The odd page just won't work at all (to be fair, this is also the case with the E51). You can't download files without jailbreaking or installing a separate app, and forget about moving downloaded files around and using them with other applications unless you jailbreak.

Email: The iPhone features HTML email, the E51 doesn't by default (you can install Nokia Messaging for that, but I couldn't get it to work with my email provider, so I can't comment on how good or bad it is). The iPhone limits you to 200 emails stored on the device, the E51 has no limit.

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭dog_pig

The E51 has a well known speaker issue where the call volume will decrease hugely after a certain time period.

It's happened to me and people I know.

Advertisement