Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bit of Help

• 12-10-2009 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭

Went to look at a house today to price for a small bit of work.
    Small extension built on to house at rear used as kitchen.
    The walls were freezing cold and damp to touch (condensation).
    The lady that owns the house reckons the last owners built it without any insulation at all.
    She wants to get the walls drylined to keep a bit of heat in the kitchen.

Question - would you advise using a vapour barrier directly on the wall before fixing on the insulated board?

Second question - i looked in her attic and noticed there was no insulation at all - none!!
    I was thinking of putting in 100mm rockwool between the joists (4inch) and then laying another layer of 100mm rockwool the opposite way.
    Would it be an idea to also insulate between the rafters or after putting down 200mm of rockwool on the joists, would this be overkill?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 PCPL

Hi There,

If you have condensation issues drylining isnt goin to fix them, its only a cosmetic fix, you'll have a nice new wall inside but still have all the underlying problems, my opinion is to externally insulate, it eliminates all the dampness and the wall mass acts as a storage heater retaining all the energy during the day and releasing it during the night so the house is always comfortably warm, insulation is fixed to the exterior, a basecoat is applied with an alkali resistent mesh embedded, it is then rendered over with normally an acrylic finish, you have no issues with removing skirting boards, kitchen units etc, redecorating associated with drylining, regards to the attic i think you can never have enough insulation although you must leave room for air to enter the attic aswell, hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

mfceiling wrote: »
    Went to look at a house today to price for a small bit of work.
    Small extension built on to house at rear used as kitchen.
    The walls were freezing cold and damp to touch (condensation).
    The lady that owns the house reckons the last owners built it without any insulation at all.
    She wants to get the walls drylined to keep a bit of heat in the kitchen.

Question - would you advise using a vapour barrier directly on the wall before fixing on the insulated board?

Thanks.

No, you never put a vapour barrier on the cold side of insulation.

Now, the first thing you need to figure out is why the walls feel damp. How is the room ventilated? How is the room heated? Is there sufficient heating? If you dryline this room you run a real risk of getting mould growth on the wall at the back of the insulation. Installing a vapour check will more than likely not prevent this as vapour will find a way through anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

mfceiling wrote: »
    Second question - i looked in her attic and noticed there was no insulation at all - none!!
    I was thinking of putting in 100mm rockwool between the joists (4inch) and then laying another layer of 100mm rockwool the opposite way.
    Would it be an idea to also insulate between the rafters or after putting down 200mm of rockwool on the joists, would this be overkill?

Thanks.
    Yes overkill ... in fact insulating the rafters has no effect at all. Ensure you dont block the ventilation of the roof timbers!

Advertisement