Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 7Mbps @ 1Mbps in Rush

• 12-10-2009 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone else here use eircom 7Mbps broadband in Rush (Dublin).
    Have you noticed poor performance each evening?

I switched from BT a month ago and since then my speed drops to around 1Mbps each evening. During the day it runs at the full 7Mbps (verified using eircom.net/speedtest)

I talked to tech support and after being fobbed off a few times they now agree is is 'most likely' contention (48:1). I was told before that the exchange was due for an upgrade, but have now been told it may be upgraded.

Has anyone heard a similar story from them?

They gave me the number for customer complaints and suggested I call them...

Thanks, Bam.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

bambam wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone else here use eircom 7Mbps broadband in Rush (Dublin).
    Have you noticed poor performance each evening?

I switched from BT a month ago and since then my speed drops to around 1Mbps each evening. During the day it runs at the full 7Mbps (verified using eircom.net/speedtest)

I talked to tech support and after being fobbed off a few times they now agree is is 'most likely' contention (48:1). I was told before that the exchange was due for an upgrade, but have now been told it may be upgraded.

Has anyone heard a similar story from them?

They gave me the number for customer complaints and suggested I call them...

Thanks, Bam.
    Everyday on the Broadband board there are tons of topics started with the same complaint as yours.

My advice, do a bit of reading. Start at the most recent topics of pertinence and work your way down. You won't spend too long finding what you're looking for, but that said, you'll be disappointed in that many of us have been long time sufferers of the same with no view to a resolution as yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

depressing news...
    I raised a complaint this morning for what that's worth. I'll amuse ye with the results of it when I hear more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LaughingJoker

Hey,
    try involving comreg, I got the following from them:

ComReg can become involved in the resolution of individual cases only when the customer has first lodged a formal complaint with the operator in question.
    To lodge a formal complaint, I advise you to proceed as outlined below:

• Contact Eircom complaints on 1800 200481,
    • say you have been advised by ComReg to lodge a formal complaint (use those exact words),
    • say you want a complaint reference number and the name of the person you are speaking to,
    • give details of complaint.

If Eircom does not respond to the complaint within 10 working days, you can contact ComReg with the complaint reference number/name, and we will then escalate the matter on your behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Hey,
    try involving comreg, I got the following from them:

ComReg can become involved in the resolution of individual cases only when the customer has first lodged a formal complaint with the operator in question.
    To lodge a formal complaint, I advise you to proceed as outlined below:

• Contact Eircom complaints on 1800 200481,
    • say you have been advised by ComReg to lodge a formal complaint (use those exact words),
    • say you want a complaint reference number and the name of the person you are speaking to,
    • give details of complaint.

If Eircom does not respond to the complaint within 10 working days, you can contact ComReg with the complaint reference number/name, and we will then escalate the matter on your behalf.

Comreg have no authority whatsoever to demand an ISP resolves any internet issue. The only ability comreg has is the universal right for everyone to have a phone line....... Doesn't matter if it can't support internet. Comreg can put pressure on though but don't expect miracles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LaughingJoker

Yeah I know...

• Advertisement

thanks folks. I raised a complaint yesterday, so I'll give it 10 days to see what they have to say.

Finally had a happy conclusion to this. After to-ing and fro-ing with Eircom they agreed there was nothing they could do, so they let me move providers without having to pay a cessation charge.
    I reckon the problem with Eircom was simply down to contention. Eircom have a 48:1 contention ratio and seeing how nearly every house around me has an Eircom wireless router it makes sense that every evening after 6:00pm my speed dropped from 7Mb to 1Mb. The Eircom engineer said pretty much the same.

I moved to Digiweb and now have constant 7Mb all evening, due to I believe their 12:1 contention ratio.

Advertisement