Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcycle parts business

• 12-10-2009 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi

I'm trying to get some idea on how i can get a business idea off the ground.

I have years of experience in motorfactors and am thinking of something along that lines for motorbikes.

I can get parts and accessories from uk trade suppliers and am looking to see what is the best way to proceed.

I know a lot of lads buy from uk mail order crowds because they are cheaper than irish shops and you dont have to wait for weeks to get the parts (if you ever get them!)

I can compete with the uk on prices but obviously the delivery time would be longer - to start off with i'd be ordering once or twice a week.

I know i could end up losing money at the start because i'd be caught for carriage from the uk and if i only have a small order it might not cover it but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I know what its like to be waiting and waiting for a bike shop to get stuff in so I def wont be doing that to my customers.

So what do you think about this idea? how can i make it more attractive to irish bikers?

future plans would be for a small catalogue as well.... but money is very tight at the moment

Thanks

If you think its a stupid idea just let me know as well!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

can u think of any reason why someone would use you as opposed to any of the online uk retailers ? if you can - fair play but you'll have a serious problem competing on price - just think of the vat difference alone.

i've bought online quite a bit from the uk for bike parts and other stuff and i'm very rarely tempted to shop local now. i know a lot of other fellas who do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gizmoiddy

ifah wrote: »
    can u think of any reason why someone would use you as opposed to any of the online uk retailers ? if you can - fair play but you'll have a serious problem competing on price - just think of the vat difference alone.

There are too many bike shops closing down at the moment so i dont want to go the normal route of trying to sell used bikes etc. but I'm also looking at offering a supply and fit service in the future (I've worked as a bike mechanic)

What i'm trying to do is find out whats actually wanted in the market and see if i can fit in there.

What would tempt you to use an irish shop now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

gizmoiddy wrote: »
    What would tempt you to use an irish shop now?

Cheaper prices!!! The Irish market is way over priced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gizmoiddy

yogidc26 wrote: »
    Cheaper prices!!! The Irish market is way over priced

how much cheaper?

If i take a uk price (ex vat) and using a realistic exchange rate convert it to euro (ex vat) then add 21.5% irish vat onto it - would that be enough?

:o

or do i need to match the uk price (inc vat)

How much leeway do i have with the prices? :confused:

The exchange rate is something I'm still trying to figure out. I want to stay competetive with the uk but I dont want to have to change my prices every 2 or 3 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

you have to remember that most people buying parts etc online are not registered businesses - they're just tinkering with their bikes. so it's the bottom line price thats important - ie inc vat.

i buy alot of computer equipment and most of the irish sites (komplett/elara/dabs....) are now matching uk prices - but thats because they are part of a uk mothership.

• Advertisement
Advertisement