Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning Problem !!

• 12-10-2009 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi All,

I'm new to posting here and I'm hoping someone can please give me some advice ;)
    Myself and my partner have recently applied for planning for a 2 story house ,it's 3100sq feet, with two wings on the side one wing is a conservatory and the other a bedroom. It has five windows across the front of the house with the front section jutting out.
    We have just got a letter today for request for further information.
    The planner wants us to lose the two wings, and to not have the front of the house jutting out, also they want 3 windows across the front of the house.

We are not sure where to go from here we really do want the two wings on the side of the house and 3 windows across the front would look ridiculous on this size of a house.(also there is houses along our road similar)
    I would really appreciate some advise !!
    Thanks !!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Did you have a pre-planning meeting.

Sounds like the council are "suggesting" a smaller house for the site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Go to the planning office and pull your file, read the planners report, make an appointment to meet the planner. Speak to your planning agent and go with them to meet the planner and put your case forward for your house with supporting photos of similar developments around as you say. Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 I'm

What's the total frontage on the ground floor ? Some councils seem to be aiming for 17-18m; you could think about an L shape to achieve the same floor space size with a reduction in the frontage.

Regarding the windows - hard to tell without drawings, but perhaps the planner is not happy with the solid to void ratio due to the size and number of windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭r-i-tect

Without seeing drawings or anything else, this is a bit of a guessing game. If neighbouring houses are comparable to your design then you could submit photographic evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Sha wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm new to posting here and I'm hoping someone can please give me some advice ;)
    Myself and my partner have recently applied for planning for a 2 story house ,it's 3100sq feet, with two wings on the side one wing is a conservatory and the other a bedroom. It has five windows across the front of the house with the front section jutting out.
    We have just got a letter today for request for further information.
    The planner wants us to lose the two wings, and to not have the front of the house jutting out, also they want 3 windows across the front of the house.

We are not sure where to go from here we really do want the two wings on the side of the house and 3 windows across the front would look ridiculous on this size of a house.(also there is houses along our road similar)
    I would really appreciate some advise !!
    Thanks !!!

Front jutting out? you mean forward facing gable?. I know for a fact in galway right now, there a NO NO. The wings, I cant understand why they would want them out, unless its a size issue on site.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

did your architect not read the local rural design guidelines???

if there's none in place, the cork design guide is a good yardstick of what is not acceptable.

there is also many issues regarding proportion of dwellings to site size, and the ability of smaller sites to assimilate large dwellings into the landscape.

Advertisement