Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 HMR groupings

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

I think as far as I know the Parker Hale is only rated for .22LR subsonic ammunition. The pressures on a .17HMR have knocked the stuffing out of any Parker Hales I've seen when using them with .17's, popping the threads and distorting the baffles causing bullets to tip off them.

I use a 22 Parker Hale on my HMR. It works well as a moderator and I have had no problems with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

I didnt get a chance to go out and have another go, but i did inspect the mod and it looks fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

I use a 22 Parker Hale on my HMR. It works well as a moderator and I have had no problems with it.

You can also prop your car up on concrete blocks as we'll but I'd rather use axel stands working underneath mine ;)
    All I'll say is the Parker Hale opens to be disassembled and cleaned, in the few I've seen after .17's they don’t open properly and when you do get them open the threads are stretched and the baffles have been damaged. I’m not a gunsmith but that says pressure problems to me. But hey I’m not the manufacturer; they say the moderator is for .22LR subsonic ammunition. So do you think the .17 HMR which is a necked down .22 magnum high velocity round would create more pressure than a .22LR subsonic round in a confined space.

Seriously I'm not having a go at anybody using a Parker Hale on a .17HMR but it's just not rated for that pressure which could lead to a life altering experience
    Cheers
    Slug

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

It will exert a levering force on it, yes, but depending on the stiffness of the barrel, its length, the weight of the mod, even the mod's design, it's likely that the barrel will not bend to any practically measurable extent.
    And i said??

Hundreds of thousandths of an inch are utterly insignificant. To conduct an experiment, weigh your mod, then remove it and hang soft material of the same weight from the end of the barrel and see how the points of impact and accuracy compare. I'd want that data, plus measurement of the extent to which a barrel is bent, before I'd think about that assertion.
    it's obviously not the problem here but i'd like your opinion on bedding and free floating if you believe fractions are insignificant

• Advertisement

ezridax wrote: »
    If a moderator was able to bend a barrel there would be obvious scrape marks down the inside of the barrel as the bullet followed the bend of the barrel
    You did say...please:D..i stand by what i said,i dont know the specs here and dont have that much experience with rimfire but mod will bend barrel,i'm not proclaiming to be an expert and i cant say why your POI is higher with supp on but maby something to do with arrangement of the baffles.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

kakashka wrote: »
    i cant say why your POI is higher with supp on but maby something to do with arrangement of the baffles.

I think it may be due to the bullet causing the barrel to whip as it travels down the rifling. Any change to the whip caused by a mod or bedding would make the bullet leave the barrel on a different trajectory giving a different POI. I wouldn't think the difference would be that dramatic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Moose get yourself a SAK there about 45 to 50 euro, i have one on my Marlin 17hmr over 2 odd years now. It cuts down on the crack quite abit and it wont break the bank either.. 400 euro for a rimfire mod thats made my day :D, if that whats he is charging for a moderator whats he charging for firearms and optics..

Hey riflehunter mind me asking where did you pick up your SAK moderator having serious problems finding one.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭lucy333springer

We everyone, when I bought my CZ .17, I was told by the dealer that the rifle had been zeroed and ready for bunny eye shots, but when I mentioned about popping on the moderator, he said that he forgot about this purchase, and that the gun needs zeroed in again, (sak mod, silence of the lambs) :)

also, i have a brno 22lr, i'm kind of scared to think about this, but can my .17 mod fit this .22lr safely, no if's but's or maybe's
    YES, or NO.
    Thanx.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Quick answer, No.

Long answer, if the mod is designed for use on .17 a .22 bullet will be larger in diameter and will not fit through the mod. Check the specifications of the mod. Unless its designed to take up to .22 then the answer is no.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭lucy333springer

Thanx,
    I was kinda thinking that,
    it's all the chat on here about mods and different
    bullet sizes.
    this night duty is hard work on the fingers:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

We everyone, when I bought my CZ .17, I was told by the dealer that the rifle had been zeroed and ready for bunny eye shots, but when I mentioned about popping on the moderator, he said that he forgot about this purchase, and that the gun needs zeroed in again, (sak mod, silence of the lambs) :)

also, i have a brno 22lr, i'm kind of scared to think about this, but can my .17 mod fit this .22lr safely, no if's but's or maybe's
    YES, or NO.
    Thanx.

If it's an SAK mod then yes it will fit they are made to do .17 to .22 mag

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

moose112 wrote: »
    Hey riflehunter mind me asking where did you pick up your SAK moderator having serious problems finding one.

Moose most dealers should be able to get them in for you no problem, try giving joe meany a ring in connolys red mills 0599775800 he might have one or be able to get one in for you. I think i got mine in athlone it was sent to be threaded and fitted by my dealer. There well worth it really cut down on the crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

sfakiaman wrote: »
    I think it may be due to the bullet causing the barrel to whip as it travels down the rifling. Any change to the whip caused by a mod or bedding would make the bullet leave the barrel on a different trajectory giving a different POI. I wouldn't think the difference would be that dramatic though.
    That's the correct answer, well done that man :D

Barrel flip or flap is a well known phenomenon and was one of the reasons for experimentation with shorter barrel lengths. The same reason as was suggested for floating barrels as it meant that the barrel harmonics weren't interfered with.

There certainly would be some 'bending' effect from extra weight on the end of your barrell, the amount would be very tiny, but can be calculated. However, the forces generated by the bullet as it travels down the barrel would be far greater by an order of magnitude and in fact the difference in POI is as was suggested; caused by the change in barrel flip due to the added weight of the mod.

Advertisement