Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research Assistant = PhD?

Options
  • 12-10-2009 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

Asking on behalf of a classmate :D

She's seen a job advertised as a "Research Assistant" paid an annual salary much higher than a PhD stipend. The job is conducting qual/quant research and some results production as part of an international project. There are no specific qualifications required....however the application is via an online postgraduate study application via the university overseeing the project.

Does this mean it's effectively a PhD or a component of one? Apparently research interests her, writing the thesis doesn't...especially as we've only just got done with our MA ones.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

No, I'm afraid Research Assistant does not equal PhD.

Having said that, there's no reason that your "friend" (it's YOU isn't it!) couldn't start off as a research assistant within the faculty. Then if a PhD comes up she would be in a prime position to apply for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

lol no it's not for me - an MA is plenty as far as I'm concerned!!

Thanks for that, she doesn't want to do a PhD so will be chuffed to know that that's not what the job is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Doing a PhD isn't the worst thing in the world. My missus traveled all over the Europe and beyond during her PhD and postdoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jeannieio

The IUA has put together a salary scale for researchers and research assistant is one of these posts. You will find some info on what sort of qualifications a research assistant should have by looking at this. http://www.iua.ie/iua-activities/documents/20092010ResearchSalaryScalesandDefinitions.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

i was on higher salary when i was research assistant. however i decided to go back and continue with phd. i think they are similar in roles but with the extra bonus of a qualification at the end of the phd. theres just that extra bit of stress with the phd that its completely your responsibilty. but overall similar jobs and i would recommend phd for the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Thanks a bunch folks. It turns out there was an error on the part of the university concerned and that she didn't have to fill out a student application to apply for the job. Clear as mud!

Grateful to all those who responded though.

Advertisement