Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First DSLR shots, feedback wanted!

• 12-10-2009 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

Well folks as it says in the title first weekend with my new camera, canon 1000d, so i took it to a local rally took loads of photos messed around with settings all day kinda got the hang of it by the end of the day but i'd dearly loveto hear some feedback on the shots i took and any advice on what to do to improve them, thanks in advance all,:D

Deano.

I'll start with my favourite one.
    4004018589_47c3ba7855_b.jpg

4004779928_a850424cd5.jpg

4004772450_a115ba6be4.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Well done , pretty good stuff for your first outing, a bot of work on the PP side of things and they'd be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I like to see something that would imply motion in the first shot.
    Almost looks like they pulled over to check the map.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

I really like the first one, I would do a bit of post processing myself, just a bit of contrast and saturation maybe. Good set!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

Fair play you got some excellent shots on you're first outing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

First one is really nice, well done on your first outing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Brndn wrote: »
    I really like the first one, I would do a bit of post processing myself, just a bit of contrast and saturation maybe. Good set!
    Same opinion here, part of the fun of Photography is the Post Processing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Thats a great start Deano!!
    Only starting myself - havent shot anything like this - must get out and try it!
    Agree on the PP aswell - give the shots some pop!! ;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well done on your first outing.

The light did you no favours what so ever ... thats what makes the pictures look a little flat (especially the first one... imagine it with a bright light and a big blue sky behind it).

Nothing you can do about that, just that the importance of light wasnt clear to me when I started out!

Nice shots though!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Nice first shots!

I see you're shooting in Program mode (Exif on Flickr -> Exposure Program: Program AE). From what I understand that's quite similar to Auto Mode.

I'd recommend the next step to choose either Aperture Priority (Av) mode or Shutter Priority (Tv) mode for each shot.

In Aperture Priority mode you can control the depth of field by adjusting the aperture size, the camera will select an appropriate shutter speed.

In Shutter Priority mode you can control the shutter speed. This is what you'd probably use for rally shots. A fast shutter speed will freeze the action. A long shutter speed will give the sense of motion - follow the car then taking the shot for a panning image.

Appologies if you already knew that stuff but that's where I'd go next with your dslr! ;) Lots of videos on YouTube about those modes. Search on Flickr for shots you like... then go into the properties of them to see what settings they used!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

thanks for all the feedback folks i'm going to get photoshop on friday, my only fear is i will like photoshop so much i will go mad on them!!!

Gary thanks for all the tips will defo try them next time i get to a rally, the girlfriend is doing alot of laughing at me says i've become a bit to attached to my camera, goes with me everywhere like a kid at christmas she says ah it'll soon wear off i'd imagine.

Anyways my flikr will be working overtime over the next few weeks, anyone who use's flikr add me sure that way i'll be able to steal all your camera settings, thanks gary, ha ha.

thanks again for the feedback all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28342412@N04/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Hi Deano!
    Just a quick edit to show what potential the pic has! I did my PP in Lightroom 2, but you could do most of this in Photoshop!

93185.jpg

Loads of great tutorials for photoshop all over the net - but really recommend youtube - its where I started, and is great cos you can follow exactly whats been done - you dont get lost; as you do in some written tutorials, that assume you know the very basics! Theres alot to take in when learning photoshop - lots of different ways to do one task - but its fun learning! And dont worry if you find yourself overprocessing them at the start! As mine is a bit - but like I said, quick edit! :rolleyes:
    Just on a side note; if you dont shoot RAW - you should read about it and its benefits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Well ive now got the bug, ha ha, i got picasa which will do me till i get photoshop, and i tried this photo as a first time attempt at an edit, be gentle all (i'll post the origional and the edit).
    4010865383_f0c91a9150_b.jpg

4010868983_2defc276ed_b.jpg

I tried to darken down muckish mountain as much as i could but at the same time leaving the car colour's as natural as possable so i came to this happy medium, and i thought taking the tape out makes the pic a lot better, again all comments welcome good and bad, thanks in advance!

Advertisement