Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discuss your Hidden Gems

• 12-10-2009 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

Though I'd make a thread for those rock and metal albums that aren't really that famous, but should be.

A few weeks ago I heard of an Andorran Progressive Death metal band called Persefone. I got their last two albums, a 75 minute, 3 track Epic called Core, and the more conventionally laid out Shin Ken. Both are amazing albums and I couldn't beleive I had never heard of them before.

So what are your hidden gems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Maybe not as fancy or original as your Prog. Death band:p, but Warpath are a very good Thrash band IMO. Unsigned, and I can't understand why. Their whole album is one of my favourites, not sure if they count as 'Hidden Gems,' some posters might know of them, considering I've mentioned them before in the recommendation thread.

By the way, that band kicks ass. I'll have to look into them some more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Yeah I've heard of Warpath, only really because they're Irish and supported Despised Icon though :P

EDIT: Wrong warpath...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

I see what you did there.....
    :pac:

Whoops I thought it was intentional.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Got into Circus Maximus ages ago, a Norwegian prog band, don't thing many people have heard of them, though I may be wrong.

Don't have my favourite song on youtube unfortunatly :(

This ones is still quite good though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Probably more famous than I give them credit for, but Vandenberg were a great band from Holland. Very much kinda light metal/glam metal band, but excellent stuff all the same! Adrian Vandenberg was the driving force behind the band, and eventually became lead guitarist for Whitesnake.

I absolutely love Vandenberg, and I'm often longing for a reunion!

Also, EZO... a Japanese hard-rock outfit from the late 1980's. Their debut album, 'EZO', was pretty glam-influenced, yet much much heavier than the standard glam bands of the day, some of the music bordering on speed metal. Their second album, 'Fire Fire' was a lot heavier and much cooler!

''Flashback Heart Attack'' off the album 'EZO':

''Night Crawler'' off the album 'Fire Fire':

Lynch Mob, formed by ex-Dokken guitar shredder George Lynch, were a sleaze metal outfit from the early-90's... Unfortunately arriving onto the scene too late and just as Seattle was killing Los Angeles. A lot of potential, none sadly realised.

This is a band I discovered purely due to them having a song in the videogame, "Max Payne 2". I investigated them... and discovered they are freaking awesome!!! Poets Of The Fall, one of Finland's better non-death metal exports.

This is an awesome American band from the late 70's/early 80's, who never really found the deserved fame. Probably had the worst band mascot in history!!! Riot, ladies and gentlemen: Swords And Tequila!!!!

Yes, I am obsessed with 1980's heavy metal before you ask! There's no accounting for taste, I guess!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

DazMarz wrote: »
    Probably more famous than I give them credit for, but Vandenberg were a great band from Holland. Very much kinda light metal/glam metal band, but excellent stuff all the same! Adrian Vandenberg was the driving force behind the band, and eventually became lead guitarist for Whitesnake.

I absolutely love Vandenberg, and I'm often longing for a reunion!

Also, EZO... a Japanese hard-rock outfit from the late 1980's. Their debut album, 'EZO', was pretty glam-influenced, yet much much heavier than the standard glam bands of the day, some of the music bordering on speed metal. Their second album, 'Fire Fire' was a lot heavier and much cooler!

''Flashback Heart Attack'' off the album 'EZO':

''Night Crawler'' off the album 'Fire Fire':

Lynch Mob, formed by ex-Dokken guitar shredder George Lynch, were a sleaze metal outfit from the early-90's... Unfortunately arriving onto the scene too late and just as Seattle was killing Los Angeles. A lot of potential, none sadly realised.

This is a band I discovered purely due to them having a song in the videogame, "Max Payne 2". I investigated them... and discovered they are freaking awesome!!! Poets Of The Fall, one of Finland's better non-death metal exports.

This is an awesome American band from the late 70's/early 80's, who never really found the deserved fame. Probably had the worst band mascot in history!!! Riot, ladies and gentlemen: Swords And Tequila!!!!

Yes, I am obsessed with 1980's heavy metal before you ask! There's no accounting for taste, I guess!!!:D

FYP ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I bought a CD called "Zombiecronomicon" at hellfest some years ago, split between Italian gore band Corpse****ing Art, and a Columbian (I think) gore band called Goretrade.

The Corspe****ing Art half of the CD was excellent, each of the songs had a dialogue intro taken from some classic horror movie.

This isn't as good as the CD version, but you get an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I like it! I'll have to grab hold of an album or two.

One band I've been listening to a lot lately are Mutyumu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Human Waste Project

I love these guys. One of the better female lead vocalist metal bands. Released one album (E-Lux) in 1998 and dissapeared :( It's hard to find their best tracks on youtube but here is a video

I stumbled across them on last.fm after they were tagged as having recorded "This Town" with Jonothan Davis but I think that was Kittie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Found a Belgian Gem at Full Metal Racket last year:
    Thurisaz (Not to be confused with Turisas)

They played the best gig of the day by a mile, and their album 'Circadian Rythm' is just awesome. Hard to describe their music, so will just link:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Probably well known to many of you here but I still think It's an absolute disgrace this album wasn't more popular:

Alone I Stand In Fire

A Day By The Lake

It's a real pitty their followup couldn't hold a candle to 'Back To Times Of Splendour'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I threw some Guano Apes onto a cd for my car at the weekend. It still amazes me the amount of people who've never heard of them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Kretan, a pretty good Brutal Death Metal band that, so far, only has one EP out..

Razor Rape, they caught my attention by doing a cover of a Dying Fetus song, also good brutal death metal IMO

Advertisement