Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Projects '10

Options
  • 12-10-2009 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

They're coming out on Thursday apparently. What do ye think it'll be?

Lets just say if it's a mobile phone there will be a great night out on thursday:D:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Considering how the project completely threw off candidates last year I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you something easier this year.

That said I don't think it is going to be a mobile phone. (Way to obvious)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

I reckon it could be something like a remote control or a clock, i doubt it will be too complex anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Isaac702 wrote: »
    Considering how the project completely threw off candidates last year
    What was it last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

DCG projects 2010

Ordinary Level - Surveillence cameras

Higher Level - Game Controllers
    ........tough enough but Noice

Ya we got the briefs today aswell.

At first impressions I thought it would be easy enough but after looking at the modelling involved in game controllers I reckon it's going to be really tough(the modelling end of it anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

slickmcvic wrote: »
    DCG projects 2010

Ordinary Level - Surveillence cameras

Higher Level - Game Controllers
    ........tough enough but Noice

Thats for us this year is it? Sounds ok-ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

Isaac702 wrote: »
    Considering how the project completely threw off candidates last year I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you something easier this year.

That said I don't think it is going to be a mobile phone. (Way to obvious)

How did it throw off candidates last year? sure it was the first year of it, therefor we didnt know what to expect, therfore we werent thrown off as we werent expecting anything in particular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 perfectmisfit

better than i thought it would be anyway, scared my when our teach said whatever we get might have gears and cams :eek:

i have so many games controllers and can compare em easy, wonder can you do it on joysticks..

• Registered Users Posts: 28 danbo115

its not joysticks its more like psp's and gameboys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 perfectmisfit

they're handheld games consoles not games controllers..

• Advertisement

Reillyman wrote: »
    Ya we got the briefs today as well.
    EDIT:

/decides to remember he's a mod and not make terrible jokes ... >_>

EDIT:

/decides to remember he's a mod and not make terrible jokes ... >_>

I thought about that when i was writing it:D

Was waiting to see who'd be the first to comment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 theirishboater

they're handheld games consoles not games controllers..

are they hand held games consoles, or games controllers with the modification of an attached screen/built in console?
    If we're meant to track the development of controllers from the 1970's, would you not include the progression of controllers into what we now consider hand held consoles?
    As far as I can remember the brief actually mentions a built in screen as a modification along with features like being wireless.

are they hand held games consoles, or games controllers with the modification of an attached screen/built in console?
    If we're meant to track the development of controllers from the 1970's, would you not include the progression of controllers into what we now consider hand held consoles?
    As far as I can remember the brief actually mentions a built in screen as a modification along with features like being wireless.

Your right, it says "hand held game controllers" not "consoles"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

im repeating and i did it last year (the docking station) and my 1st impression on this is good, sounds way easier i think than last year and should be ok.

and yeah its handheld game consoles (e.g psp, nintendo ds, gameboy, etc)

Can people on this forum not read?

The brief doesn't mention console at all, it says

"There have been many changes to handheld game controllers over the last 30 years. These developments consist of changes to shape and form as well as the addition of new features. Such features include cordless technology, integral speakers, inbuilt screen and concole, etc.

(A) Carry out a design investigation of the physical form and features of handheld game controllers to include their development since the late 1970's."

This includes PS, XBOX and Wii controllers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

The screen thing might refer to a dreamcast controller and not a PSP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wheres wally

better than i thought it would be anyway, scared my when our teach said whatever we get might have gears and cams :eek:

in higher you have to make it into 5 parts but if you split a controller you only get 2 main parts

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

"There have been many changes to handheld game controllers over the last 30 years. These developments consist of changes to shape and form as well as the addition of new features. Such features include cordless technology, integral speakers, inbuilt screen and concole, etc.

(A) Carry out a design investigation of the physical form and features of handheld game controllers to include their development since the late 1970's."

This includes PS, XBOX and Wii controllers

..it doesn't mention consoles but it doesn't have to...the fact they mention inbuilt screens would allow for the likes of PSP,DS etc....i'd go along with a controller myself but the brief is very much open for interpretation and they wont turn away any efforts on a handheld console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

in higher you have to make it into 5 parts but if you split a controller you only get 2 main parts

Each unique shaped button would count as a part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

We've been researching for the last three days and have begun our brief. We've discussed doing the Wii, as the modifications you could make up for that are endless.

And it's most certainly games CONTROLLERS. I've began the history brief where I've started in the early 70s with a joystick all the way up to the Xbox 360 control.

timeline3.jpg

It's gonna be good, I think. Lots of work but should go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Oh the irony
    Such features include cordless technology, integral speakers, inbuilt screen and console, etc.

slickmcvic wrote: »
    ..it doesn't mention consoles but it doesn't have to...the fact they mention inbuilt screens would allow for the likes of PSP,DS etc....i'd go along with a controller myself but the brief is very much open for interpretation and they wont turn away any efforts on a handheld console.

Ya I know it allows for the likes of PSP's etc, I was replying to the fact that peopl on this forum said..
    danbo115its not joysticks its more like psp's and gameboys.

and
    perfectmisfitthey're handheld games consoles not games controllers..

and
    brennaldoand yeah its handheld game consoles (e.g psp, nintendo ds, gameboy, etc)
    Niall09 wrote: »
    Oh the irony

What I meant was in the instructions it doesn't mention consoles, not the introduction to the instructions, so fcuk off with your irony...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Isn't this the same as last years ordinary level project? Either way I think its a lot easier than last years docking station.

Some advice to people doing this project:
    1. If your teacher is advocating that you have to do the project in a logical order, as in do output 1 first, then 2..., ignore him! Do some brainstorming, pick the one you want to do and start modelling it in SolidWorks. When you have that done go back and do output 2, 3 etc as at that stage you will have a vast knowledge of controllers and it will be easier and you will waste less time.
    2. Do not rely on Microsoft Publisher because to be honest, its a pile of cack! Your project will look very amateurish if you use publisher. It can only do basic backgrounds and shapes. Lots of people overlook powerpoint. Its actually really good for doing the project. After all it is a presentation you are doing and it is presentation software!
    3. Do not waste time at the start! Get cracking on it, January is not that far away! Start modelling it...keep making progress. Dont spend a few weeks trawling through images on the net like we did, otherwise you'll end up staying after school, coming in over the mid-term, weekends etc.
    4. The guideline is 40 hours. I spent 40hours in the last 3 days doing it! I easily spent 400 hours on it! You may think you have loads of things done, but there are loads of loose ends that take time. One example is rendering on SolidWorks, it takes forever, another is sketching!
    5. Last of all, GOOD LUCK!

I can't take anything you say seriously with the pic in your signature:D

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Indeed, and if I have to go editing posts, some Mayomen could end up publicly admitting to some very strange sheep-related activities ... >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 wats up doc

will it be easier to do a concept design or modifcation?:confused:

I think myself the modification could be a hard one because it would be harder to make a big change to an existing controller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I think myself the modification could be a hard one because it would be harder to make a big change to an existing controller

It doesn't have to be a 'big' change, just an improvement/modification/addition to the existing design.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 poetryinmotion

dear god do a mod.just throw an extra button on it somewhere and ur sorted.thats all i did last year and i ended up with an A1.new design would take too much time and effort.

Advertisement