Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Projects '10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

IrishKev wrote: »
    That is too good, A1 without a shadow of a doubt once your portfolio is any half bit decent :D

My part A is back on page 22. Have to redo my part B of the portfolio now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    My part A is back on page 22. Have to redo my part B of the portfolio now as well.

I know yeah I already saw it mine's back there somewhere aswell if you wanna see it, but hows your folder coming along? I just finished mine tonight but like I said above I think I might have a page or two more than the limit of 14 pages, but do the examiners really pay that much attention to it? Like once it's not like 25 pages I'd say they wouldn't really mind? Any idea?

I know yeah I already saw it, but hows your folder coming along? Like I said above I think I might have a page or two more than the limit of 14 pages, but do the examiners really pay that much attention to it? Like once it's not like 25 pages I'd say they wouldn't really mind? Any idea?

I'd say you are better off sticking to the 14 pages. The cover page doesn't count though as far as I'm sure. I'm personally just gonna stick to the 14 pages. Although my teacher showed me one that was 15 pages long and got an A1.

EDIT: Just found yours. Looking at my PS3 controller it looks impossible to get it right. I might challenge myself :O I made loads of things with solidworks. I designed my Engineering project with it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 danbo115

I know yeah I already saw it mine's back there somewhere aswell if you wanna see it, but hows your folder coming along? I just finished mine tonight but like I said above I think I might have a page or two more than the limit of 14 pages, but do the examiners really pay that much attention to it? Like once it's not like 25 pages I'd say they wouldn't really mind? Any idea?

I got the same problem so i'm putting the photo realistic and the exploded view on the same page. Says max of 14 for a reason

Yeah I suppose it's better to stick to the quota, but it's a bit unfair that the limit is 14, when the "Suggested No. of A3 Pages" column in the pink official booklet thing that we got adds up to 20....

• Advertisement

Yeah I suppose it's better to stick to the quota, but it's a bit unfair that the limit is 14, when the "Suggested No. of A3 Pages" column in the pink official booklet thing that we got adds up to 20....

I know thats why i'm over the 14 too haha. Added them up and didn't' see the 14 till earlyer. Should just say recommended 14 pages.

I'd say you are better off sticking to the 14 pages. The cover page doesn't count though as far as I'm sure. I'm personally just gonna stick to the 14 pages. Although my teacher showed me one that was 15 pages long and got an A1.

EDIT: Just found yours. Looking at my PS3 controller it looks impossible to get it right. I might challenge myself :O I made loads of things with solidworks. I designed my Engineering project with it as well.

Wow you made a PS3 aswell? Any chance of the pics if you've got them handy? Wouldn't mind seeing them meself :D It is hard to perfect, the handles are a bit off with the spline lines but I'm fairly happy with it overall. There's a lot of great models up here though :D

danbo115 wrote: »
    I know thats why i'm over the 14 too haha. Added them up and didn't' see the 14 till earlyer. Should just say recommended 14 pages.

True, it should, but I'd say the reason being is that there's some ones around the country handing in like 30 pages and the examiners couldn't be arsed correcting all that :D Although I wouldn't like it either half way through the summer I suppose :D

Wow you made a PS3 aswell? Any chance of the pics if you've got them handy? Wouldn't mind seeing them meself :D It is hard to perfect, the handles are a bit off with the spline lines but I'm fairly happy with it overall. There's a lot of great models up here though :D

No. I might make one after the project is done. I enjoy making random things on solid works.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/7773/gamesroom.jpg I had a PS3 done for that but there isn't much detail. I was building that for my room so I used solidworks as well haha :D

True, it should, but I'd say the reason being is that there's some ones around the country handing in like 30 pages and the examiners couldn't be arsed correcting all that :D Although I wouldn't like it either half way through the summer I suppose :D

haha well they're being paid to do it. and just remembered I have to name all my solid works extrudes and fillets. There is over a 70 of them, super

• Advertisement

No. I might make one after the project is done. I enjoy making random things on solid works.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/7773/gamesroom.jpg I had a PS3 done for that but there isn't much detail. I was building that for my room so I used solidworks as well haha :D

Wow nice. Yeah I like Solidworks aswell meself, if I get some spare time I might make some stuff during the summer seeing as I'm after getting better at it since the project. Considering it was a LC project the whole thing was enjoyable enough........ considering :D
    haha well they're being paid to do it. and just remembered I have to name all my solid works extrudes and fillets. There is over a 70 of them, super

Yeah they're a balls alright, what I did for most parts is just label them like "Main Sketch" instead of Sketch 1, or "Top Extrude" or something like that.

Wow nice. Yeah I like Solidworks aswell meself, if I get some spare time I might make some stuff during the summer seeing as I'm after getting better at it since the project. Considering it was a LC project the whole thing was enjoyable enough........ considering :D

If you got the student edition it will run out soon enough. I'm pretty sure, a fella repeating in our year said the one he got last year ran out when he tried to open it this year

Yeah they're a balls alright, what I did for most parts is just label them like "Main Sketch" instead of Sketch 1, or "Top Extrude" or something like that.
    Ya good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Lithium.

Any chance of getting some help on the exploded view ?
    Do you just save it as a JPEG in solidworks and then print,or do you open a drawing of the exploded view and print ?

Lithium. wrote: »
    Any chance of getting some help on the exploded view ?
    Do you just save it as a JPEG in solidworks and then print,or do you open a drawing of the exploded view and print ?

I used photoview, open the assemin it, put a plain background on it. and rendered at a high resolution,
    then saved as a jpeg. and print

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I'm starting to get a bit worried. I've the SolidWorks side of my project completed, but haven't done any exploded views or anything along those lines, its just there made up.

It's closing on the 12th Feb, does that mean we have to have it in by the 12th?? Our teacher has told us we've to get it printed ourselves over the mid-term, long after the deadline.....!

Also don't think my project is of the standard of some here, all my mates are just buttons and stuff, all individually..

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I'm starting to get a bit worried. I've the SolidWorks side of my project completed, but haven't done any exploded views or anything along those lines, its just there made up.

It's closing on the 12th Feb, does that mean we have to have it in by the 12th?? Our teacher has told us we've to get it printed ourselves over the mid-term, long after the deadline.....!

Also don't think my project is of the standard of some here, all my mates are just buttons and stuff, all individually..

The closing date is Thurs for me and danbo. I would try get it done as soon as possible if I was you.

I don't understand what your last paragraph means.

Exploded view takes the most of an hour to figure out do and render. same with the orthographic. and all you need is 5 parts and aslong as you have them it dosen't matter. you'd just get more of a chance of getting full marks if you do more then 5 as your best 5 will be marked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MightyMouse!

Alright lads,
    been reading through some of the posts and have to say im very impressed with the standard of the work done on some these projects. I myself choose to do the N64 controller and chose to modify it. will post up rendered pics later.
    Had a question to anyone who was willing to answer it... did anyone actually do the "image-board" for output 7 and do you think it was actually a good indicator of your project of just a load of artsy-fartsy waffle?
    Cheers :D

Alright lads,
    been reading through some of the posts and have to say im very impressed with the standard of the work done on some these projects. I myself choose to do the N64 controller and chose to modify it. will post up rendered pics later.
    Had a question to anyone who was willing to answer it... did anyone actually do the "image-board" for output 7 and do you think it was actually a good indicator of your project of just a load of artsy-fartsy waffle?
    Cheers :D

I already had the part B made before I even touched making output 7 but I put an image board of a few pictures and ideas that I randomly took off google to make it look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

I'm sitting here doing the sketches now. Fcuk this, this isn't art. I can do the Soildworks no bother but I can't sketch at all! The Sh!t has hit the fan.

• Advertisement

How the hell do they expect you to print A3 size pages, who has an A3 printer at home?!

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    How the hell do they expect you to print A3 size pages, who has an A3 printer at home?!

Go to any computer shop.

Go to any computer shop.

And what? Buy a printer? It's the schools responsibility to provide the necessary equipment.

And what? Buy a printer? It's the schools responsibility to provide the necessary equipment.

wow its called putting in a bit of effort? ask them to print it? its 50 cent a sheet?

I already had the part B made before I even touched making output 7 but I put an image board of a few pictures and ideas that I randomly took off google to make it look good.

yea i was the same, the teacher only had an in-service day about the whole image board thing a few days ago and our whole class had already finished part B, apparently anyone who does an image board with a concept design is nearly guaranteed an A... but i really didnt fancy doing it, a lot of it doesnt even make sense like...
    as you said "randomly took off google to make it look good" ... kinda pointless at the end of the day isnt it?

on another note i found some rendered images of my controllers on my pc :D
    what do yas think?
    N64
    Original-origonaln64.th.jpg

Modification-controllert.th.jpg-

Would you complain if they didn't provide you with a copy book? Also you can just print them rather than buying a printer but a printer would be handy I suppose

Correct, my school has an A3 printer/scanner. every school that has DCG classes is meant to have one as well as an integrated LAN system to backup & share files with the teacher and between students. also in case anything goes horribly wrong with your pc.

yea i was the same, the teacher only had an in-service day about the whole image board thing a few days ago and our whole class had already finished part B, apparently anyone who does an image board with a concept design is nearly guaranteed an A... but i really didnt fancy doing it, a lot of it doesnt even make sense like...
    as you said "randomly took off google to make it look good" ... kinda pointless at the end of the day isnt it?

on another note i found some rendered images of my controllers on my pc :D
    what do yas think?
    N64
    Original-origonaln64.th.jpg

Modification-controllert.th.jpg-

nice and when I said randomly I meant in relation to what mods I cud make to the project. Like one I did was a picture of 12v car battery as a symbol for a bigger battery or a big screen TV as a bigger screen. Mp3 player as a built in mp3 player. A picture of a large speaker as bigger speakers. There random pictures but thats what a mood board is, ideas you've had about the project.

EDIT>oh and looking at your render again its pretty good!

nice and when I said randomly I meant in relation to what mods I cud make to the project. Like one I did was a picture of 12v car battery as a symbol for a bigger battery or a big screen TV as a bigger screen. Mp3 player as a built in mp3 player. A picture of a large speaker as bigger speakers. There random pictures but thats what a mood board is, ideas you've had about the project.

EDIT>oh and looking at your render again its pretty good!

Cheers mate :)
    you got any pictures of yours? and yea i think ill just stick to justifying my modifications! :P seems a lot simpler and imo more practical.

• Advertisement

Cheers mate :)
    you got any pictures of yours? and yea i think ill just stick to justifying my modifications! :P seems a lot simpler and imo more practical.
    (a)
    fixed
    http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3210/finalphotorender.jpg

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/1346/exploded.jpg
    (b)
    http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/777/sectionbrender.jpg

just put a few mods, nothing big, two touch pads to open up the first person shooter game type and a bigger screen, speakers and battery

Advertisement