Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Projects '10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 wats up doc

dear god do a mod.just throw an extra button on it somewhere and ur sorted.thats all i did last year and i ended up with an A1.new design would take too much time and effort.

Sound!!! that makes things alot easier,wont have to think as hard now

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Leavenotrace

Surely it would be easier just to make up a new one rather than going and trying to measure up an existing controller and make it look good on solidworks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

You have to model an existing product, that is part (a) of the project. In part (b) you have to either modify the one you have or come up with a new concept design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 poetryinmotion

Surely it would be easier just to make up a new one rather than going and trying to measure up an existing controller and make it look good on solidworks
    Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.trust me.all i did last yr was put a screen on the side of my docking station so if you wanted to watch a video on it or something the screen would be enlarged.trust me thats way easier than coming up with a new design

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Leavenotrace

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    You have to model an existing product, that is part (a) of the project. In part (b) you have to either modify the one you have or come up with a new concept design.

Ahh yes i seem to have missed that bit :S

As far as i can see its open up to both nintendo ds style consoles and things like xbox controllers. But its very vague

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 amxxs

Are yous all guys??

Anyway for the compare and contrast how do you make 2/3pages on it?Last year (when I was in fifth) we did like a mock project and did the same as last years pass brief and for the compare and contrast we did it on the same page so does it mean for the actual project you have one page with one controller with measurements etc and the next page is the same but a different controller??

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

...made a stab at 1 over the weekend!!..happy enough with how shes comin along!

1060052749a11748345219o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

IM CONFUSED IS IT A GAMES CONTROLLER OR GAMES CONSOLE

either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wheres wally

lads does any one know a good web site for research

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Alls i can say is, Start this as early as you can, the project is really easy once you start properly. I remember last year being in in the easter midterm havin to do it and its jus hassleful. Our teacher was terrible though.. had no idea what he was doin. I dont see why they made the question in any way ambiguos, its just crazy that people should be "confused" about 40 percent of their subject.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LCblogger

I think this is an excellent project. Its based on something most of us are very familiar with. I know i am. All those hours on my Xbox may pay off yet.:D:D Check out my blog on the DCG project for some tips and how to start off here http://lcbloggers.wordpress.com/category/dcg/

Id recommend doing the concept dessign to be honest. Im sure the examiner correcting your project will already have seen loads of projects with extra buttons added, colours changed or screens put in. I did a concept for mine, the actual SolidWorks build was pretty basic but it is how you get your inspiration and how you actually communicate your ideas that you get the marks for.

Dont worry about this yet though, just get cracking with part (a)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LCblogger

For part (A) brainstorm for comparisons and look for pictures of Controllers form 1970 all the way up to present day and see how you can compare them. There is some good info on my blog about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 st3mc92

has anyone finished output 1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Not doing DCG but I would say the Wii controller would count as being pretty easy, maybe add strip lights at the side. A little thing in the middle of the controller which you can slide out and use a crosshairs for FPS games etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

LCblogger wrote: »
    blog log bog blog
    Enough about your blog, kplsthx!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Really pleased with my opening page. Managed to get in a brief outline of the project in the middle, with a quick paragraph on each controller from every generation. It specifically asks SINCE THE 1970's...so I would SERIOUSLY recommend including at timeline in your project.

I have five frees tomorrow, so going to get cracking on the compare and contrast.

No points for sketching on this one I don't think, and our teacher says after an in-service he was in that there IS NOT ENOUGH PRIMARY RESEARCH - so I'm taking two digital photos of two controllers I have (PES1 an Wii) - comparing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

LCblogger wrote: »
    For part (A) brainstorm for comparisons and look for pictures of Controllers form 1970 all the way up to present day and see how you can compare them. There is some good info on my blog about this.
    Everyone in our school last year did a modification, so I haven't seen any on the other kind. What rough idea would it be, completely designing a new controller?

Also, in your brainstorm thing, what do you mean by "moral"?

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Really pleased with my opening page. Managed to get in a brief outline of the project in the middle, with a quick paragraph on each controller from every generation. It specifically asks SINCE THE 1970's...so I would SERIOUSLY recommend including at timeline in your project.

I have five frees tomorrow, so going to get cracking on the compare and contrast.

No points for sketching on this one I don't think, and our teacher says after an in-service he was in that there IS NOT ENOUGH PRIMARY RESEARCH - so I'm taking two digital photos of two controllers I have (PES1 an Wii) - comparing them.

Dont have too much text in it, it really takes away from it.

Have sketches everywhere. In every output that isnt CAD have at least a small sketch in it.

To everyone, dont dwell on these outputs because I guarantee none of ye will keep them come the end.

If anyone wants to see my project from last year, send me a pm and put the name of your county in the pm to protect my anonymity. If its the same county as me Ill ask you the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Hey folks, I did this last year. It was a great thing added on to DCG and it actually quite abit of fun. Just my two cents:

1) Remember its only a percentage. One guy in our year spend three times as long on his project that anyone else. It was amazing but he still only a got a B1 in comparison to other guys who did less and got A1's

2) Boards.ie and other websites are monitored by the Dept. I know this, first hand. So don't post your designs etc. Keep them secret. The reason is two fold a) Your linked to a name / location etc b) Someone on the last day out of desperation could steal your deign and hey presto, your both on the plagiarism band wagon.

Looks like a good project though. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

In regards to downloading the student version of Solidworks, I downloaded it last week and am now thinking of upgrading to windows 7. Can I download it again as I didnt keep the installation file from the first one.

Mmcd wrote: »
    In regards to downloading the student version of Solidworks, I downloaded it last week and am now thinking of upgrading to windows 7. Can I download it again as I didnt keep the installation file from the first one.

Careful. Two issues arise here:

1) Your license might not cover two installations. The license key may see it as two different machines even though you've only changed the OS

2) Is SolidWorks even supported by Windows 7? I doubt its full supported. Vista isn't great for SolidWorks and originally had no support for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Ive checked and there is an option for transferring your license
    However thanks for warning about windows 7 compatibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

It's within last 30 years. So I wouldnt suggest going any earlier than 1979.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LcLk

hey everyone

just a question
    you all know the way they mentioned "handheld games controller"?
    well would this allow for joysticks or other table top controllers as these aren't strictly handheld?
    I was thinking of maybe modelling my n52te (google it if you don't know what it is) but it is turning out to be a bit complicated....
    but I would still like to know if it is allowed and if the department really is monitoring this site I wouldn't mind if you answered my question personally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

LcLk wrote: »
    hey everyone

just a question
    you all know the way they mentioned "handheld games controller"?
    well would this allow for joysticks or other table top controllers as these aren't strictly handheld?
    I was thinking of maybe modelling my n52te (google it if you don't know what it is) but it is turning out to be a bit complicated....
    but I would still like to know if it is allowed and if the department really is monitoring this site I wouldn't mind if you answered my question personally

Well you've just answered your own question there mate, a joystick isn't handheld, so therefore, nope, ya can't do one.

Reillyman wrote: »
    Well you've just answered your own question there mate, a joystick isn't handheld, so therefore, nope, ya can't do one.

A joystick can be handheld. Define handheld? As in held in ones hand? Then yes, its handheld. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

Ive finished timeline and research, but do i have to compare & contrast two controllers also?

..Have to say modelling on Solidworks is turning out harder than i expected, Curved sufaces..Nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

ironclaw wrote: »
    A joystick can be handheld. Define handheld? As in held in ones hand? Then yes, its handheld. No?

If it's a table-top joystick then it's not handheld. Having said that, the brief is rather vague so I suppose you could interpret it however you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

ironclaw wrote: »
    I would suggest checking how the *industry* defines it ... :)

Advertisement