Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Projects '10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

ahhhhhhhmmmm

a joystick counts because it is handheld controllers

so yeah it counts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Leavenotrace

What type of controllers are people looking at modeling? I mean xbox/ps3 controllers are a nightmare with all the curved surfaces!!!

i am thinking of something wii related but put an accesory with it, way too simple on its own really like the nunchuk or somehting

and thing is with the xbox controllers you can do them on solidworksn or CAD just the same as you can do the wii, you just gotta make the effort

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Leavenotrace

Yes but its not lack of effort with xbox controllers but to make them look in anyway realistic you would have to use very advanced 3d modelling

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Yes but its not lack of effort with xbox controllers but to make them look in anyway realistic you would have to use very advanced 3d modelling
    I agree. I dont think anyone who just used the knowledge they gained in school would be able to replicate an xbox or playstation controller!

Also when they are checking it do the dimensions have to be exact or is it a visual thing?

• Advertisement

well you can get all the dimensions on the net liek its not very complex

and well just use solidworks fillet the crap out of all the edges and its alot closer to looking realistic

then just smart dimension it :)

MaggieNF wrote: »
    well you can get all the dimensions on the net liek its not very complex

and well just use solidworks fillet the crap out of all the edges and its alot closer to looking realistic

then just smart dimension it :)
    1. Where can you get the dimensions?

2. So really then it just has to look realistic and the measurements arent the bee all and end all?

Mmcd wrote: »
    1. Where can you get the dimensions?

2. So really then it just has to look realistic and the measurements arent the bee all and end all?

well like i applied to forums and got measurements but if you google it all the modern controllers are easy to find measurements for liek in fanress its only older ones are more difficult

well the better and more accurate the measurements are then all well and good

well i mean solidworks isnt going to be the realistic part thats like the output 6 art where you have a photorealistic drawing

for the solidowrks/CAD its mainly to prove you can do the stuff more than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jabn

Does anyone know if steering wheels and dance mats be would be counted as game controllers:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Steering wheels have to be attatched to something so I dont think they can be classed as handheld. The only handheld one is the wii one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Does anybody know where you can get measurements/ design spec etc for handhelds or controllers? It would help alot with the solid-works besides guessing it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

Reillyman wrote: »
    Does anybody know where you can get measurements/ design spec etc for handhelds or controllers? It would help alot with the solid-works besides guessing it all.

......dont be so lazy!! get a digital vernier calipers and measure up your piece!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Eanna B

My teacher is actualy right good but hasnt a clue about controllers so does anyone know how similar two projects can be?

Im doing a PS2 controller and someone else in the class is doing a PS3... Both official Sony contollers so they're almost idendical... I have it called anyway so I should be ok but still....

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Eanna B wrote: »
    My teacher is actualy right good but hasnt a clue about controllers so does anyone know how similar two projects can be?
    This years project is a lot different to last years in that there isn't a huge variety of controllers.they're basically all made by Nintendo,Sony or Microsoft.So inevitabely a lot of projects will be very similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 perfectmisfit

a few people in my class are doing psp's and nintendo ds's,

i just really wouldn't want to take the risk that whoever is examining it may think they're not games controllers, 'cus there not really.

I'm doing ordinary level (cus i suck at tech drawing) which frankly I think is harder for the research part anyway, I hope they don't take surveillance cameras as just cctv type cameras, i've got info on spy cameras and speed cameras and hidden cameras in my timeline (even the camera that filmed JFK getting shot) , but surveillance means "to watch over", so they can't really dock marks. Also, it's effing annoying that honours get to do games controllers, which most households have, and pass have to do surveillance cameras, how many people actually have those? I'm managing to model something without a real one on solidworks, a lot less curves than on a games controller I guess

Anyone else doing pass?

Thing is... They can't be similar... You can't be failed for having the same project as someone in your class but you can be BARELY passed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Hmm what about if its a DS Lite and a DSi.

Would they be different enough? I'm guesisng not.

Jesus theres at least 3 in my class doing a DS (Different generations I THINK). I might go to my backup plan of a Wiimote

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

Thing is... They can't be similar... You can't be failed for having the same project as someone in your class but you can be BARELY passed...

...thats SIMPLY NOT TRUE...2 identical controllers can be drawn in very different ways.
    A controller modelled showing "design intent" with a logical design tree structure and use of more advanced techniques like lofts and sweeps wil get way more marks than one drawn simply with the use of extrude and fillets...
    The examiners arent goin to set out to "barely pass" someone who has a generic controller as its inevitable that multiple ps3,Xbox and wii controllers are goin to be submitted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

Anyone doing PSP or DS - hate to break it to you but you're gonna lose a lot of marks... as my tech drawing teacher (a forty year old man with no life what-so-ever that spends all his spare time playing games consoles) would tell you a handheld controller and handheld console are very, very different things... Always read the question!!

• Advertisement

Ian_K wrote: »
    Anyone doing PSP or DS - hate to break it to you but you're gonna lose a lot of marks... as my tech drawing teacher (a forty year old man with no life what-so-ever that spends all his spare time playing games consoles) would tell you a handheld controller and handheld console are very, very different things... Always read the question!!

We'll see...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

It says in the brief that new features include things such as "built in consoles".

So you can do do a PSP. I mean any thing that you can use to control a game can be done.

A crucial part of the project is the whole "evolution of controllers over the last 30 years" thing and as far as i know there were no handhed consoles at all up until the last 10 or 15 years so a lot of marks will be lost there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Lads, PSPs, Nintendo Gameboys and so on ARE ALLOWED! Ian_K, I suggest your teacher reads the questions.

A crucial part of the project is the whole "evolution of controllers over the last 30 years" thing and as far as i know there were no handhed consoles at all up until the last 10 or 15 years so a lot of marks will be lost there

I think it's time you went to bed, and leave your shovel down while your at it because your digging a hole for yourself here mate. The first handheld game was developed in 1977, which I'm almost sure was 32 years ago???

So don't come on here being all condescending and authoritative when really, you don't have a clue what your on about.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/03/a-brief-history-of-handheld-video-games/

Alright mate maybe i was wrong about the age thing (i was only thinkin bout gameboys and dat) but dont ya tink that if they wanted projects bout the history of handheld consoles thay wud have said that and not controllers??

Alright mate maybe i was wrong about the age thing (i was only thinkin bout gameboys and dat) but dont ya tink that if they wanted projects bout the history of handheld consoles thay wud have said that and not controllers??

They did say it..
    Such features include cordless technology, integral speakers, inbuilt screen and console, etc.

Can't argue with facts.

thanks slickmcvic... sorted anyway... teacher made the others pick a different project today... i still have the PS2... i still wouldnt reccommend anyone doing the same project... last year i got 12 marks taken off just because they suspected tracing... which i didnt.. so they're fairly picky...

teacher made the others pick a different project today... i still have the PS2... i still wouldnt reccommend anyone doing the same project...

Absolutely ridiculous. It is inevitable that people will have the same model for Part A. I think people on this don't realise that we are competing against the whole country, not the people in our class.

I also find it quite worrying that a teacher "made" others pick a different project, because you had "called" the PS2, this is the Leaving Cert, not a class test...

• Advertisement

Reillyman wrote: »
    Such features include cordless technology, integral speakers, inbuilt screen and console, etc.

That's exactly the point i was making - consoles are mentioned as an additional feature (that has been developed in the last 30 years) so if you were to do your entire project on handheld consoles (like compairing a DS with a DSi) you would lose an awful amount of marks. That's what i said at the start... as i see it the point of the project is to study the evolution of the handheld controller over time so starting off with a console is a waste of time.

Advertisement