Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Projects '10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 keeffo2008

i have all my ps3 controller drawn and assembled bhut i put all the measurements in mm instead of cm so my contoller is nly like 5mm in size so my solidworks is ALLL wrong so does any1 no how to change all my already put in measurements to cm instead of mm PLZ HELP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

The dimensions don't really matter so long as everything is in proportion you will be grand.

You can overide the dimensions when you use smart dimension. You only have to put in a few dimensions anyway. Alternatively, you could put a note in your title block saying that all dimensions are centimetres.

Either way it is only something minor, don't get hung up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

How do you go about getting SolidWorks at home lads? Do I have to buy it online somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    How do you go about getting SolidWorks at home lads? Do I have to buy it online somewhere?

Our teacher gave us all a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jayzbrady

I think that it says in the brief somewhere that all submitted work must be completed in school, under your teacher's supervision.
    Just a heads up. I know that you can get much needed practice in at home, and do the work in school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

jayzbrady wrote: »
    I think that it says in the brief somewhere that all submitted work must be completed in school, under your teacher's supervision.
    Just a heads up. I know that you can get much needed practice in at home, and do the work in school.

i gotta agree, you do any of your project work at home and you pretty much fail

you can buy it though and practise at home or just practise after school?

MaggieNF wrote: »
    i gotta agree, you do any of your project work at home and you pretty much fail

I have to disagree with you here. In last years DCG class in my school, most of them done their modelling at home. Out of that class they had the 1st and 4th highest score in the projects in Ireland.

It is quite easy to change the name of the computer it was done on to correspond with your school computers, having said this I was told the examiners seldom bother checking things like this.

What, you can't do it at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jayzbrady

Reillyman wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you here. In last years DCG class in my school, most of them done their modelling at home.

Yes, they might have.
    The point of doing it in school is that it's fairer than being able to do it at home.

the time you spend doing it at home is the same as the time you would spend doing it in school, why not just do it in school to be safer?

and last year was the first year they werent going to fail everyone this yeah they could check things more closely

• Advertisement

jayzbrady wrote: »
    Yes, they might have.
    The point of doing it in school is that it's fairer than being able to do it at home.

How is it fairer exactly?
    the time you spend doing it at home is the same as the time you would spend doing it in school, why not just do it in school to be safer?

So you can spend the time in school revising for the exam...

it is fairer because evryone is doing it in the same place and with the same amount of time? why are people so determined to do it at home?hmmmm

it is fairer because evryone is doing it in the same place and with the same amount of time? why are people so determined to do it at home?hmmmm

I answered this question already.

yeah but you can study whenever, if the department felt there wouldn't be time for a project why would they introduce? i doubt it was for a bit of fun anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Because then your teacher can verify that YOU know how to do it, rather than your big brother who is doing Product Design in Uni ... :)

Practising / working at home is grand, but a good teacher will at least check that you can do the stuff on your own in the classroom environment.
    So you can spend the time in school revising for the exam...
    Or revise at home? :)

yeah but you can study whenever, if the department felt there wouldn't be time for a project why would they introduce? i doubt it was for a bit of fun anyways

I said revise, not study. By revise I mean going over the core topics with a teacher to explain the whole thing to you. This cannot be done at home. Project work can.

And everyone should be reasonably competent with solidworks by this stage...

And no, I don't have "an older brother in Uni," I am the eldest child.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

And no, I don't have "an older brother in Uni," I am the eldest child.
    :rolleyes:

Hypothetical situation, to illustrate a point! :p

/throws custard pie at Reilly

Because then your teacher can verify that YOU know how to do it, rather than your big brother who is doing Product Design in Uni ... :)

Practising / working at home is grand, but a good teacher will at least check that you can do the stuff on your own in the classroom environment.

Or revise at home? :)

gotta agree with that point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Just on the toipic of "Primary Research" how can i prove i took pictures myself? And is there any other method of primary research? I presume the internet wouldnt count :p

Primary research is basically any research you do yourself. Getting reviews off the internet is secondary research, whereas physically trying out all the different controllers and commenting on them would be an example of primary research.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tanora78

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 010010011010

ya the handles are tricky to get right,

just wondering how would they know if you did it at home?

ecause surely if they can tell who made it, it defys the point of havin an exam number

they can tell if you did it at home by the IP address. computers in your school would have te same one, but one at home would be different, and since you cant change the IP address then they will knwo you did it somewhere other than school

they can tell if you did it at home by the IP address. computers in your school would have te same one, but one at home would be different, and since you cant change the IP address then they will knwo you did it somewhere other than school

1) Do you seriously believe the IP address can't be changed?

2) Are you still whinging about this?

Come back to me in August and we'll see "all the marks I'm going to lose":rolleyes:

2) Are you still whinging about this?

Come back to me in August and we'll see "all the marks I'm going to lose":rolleyes:
    Did you try any of it at home?

you can change it with a lot of effort,
    2) Are you still whinging about this??

yes, well i don't "whinge" not that you would know, on the brief it states to do it in school, but whatever do it at home. I am personally more worried about my project not yours.
    Come back to me in August and we'll see "all the marks I'm going to lose"
    in august it will be marks you lost not going to lose :)

and once i get my course, i don't really care what you get in your exam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Are you saying Solidworks logs the IP of the workstation your drawing on?

How do we submit the projects? Print them out and send them? Or email the PDF file?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Conor108 wrote: »
    Are you saying Solidworks logs the IP of the workstation your drawing on?

How do we submit the projects? Print them out and send them? Or email the PDF file?
    Print them out and send them and put the pdfs on the cd!

I am personally more worried about my project not yours.

and once i get my course, i don't really care what you get in your exam

Well why on earth are you constantly trying to convince me to do it in school? Seems to me your the type of person who has a pet-hate of people breaking rules. Come to the dark side...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Mmcd wrote: »
    Print them out and send them and put the pdfs on the cd!

Thats what I thought! How would that even show the IP address of the computer you did it on? Solidworks wouldn't even log it! And I'd imagine most schools have dynamic IP addresses anyway! Crazy argument!

Advertisement