Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Projects '10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Your teacher will have to sign off on your work, and will probably refuse to do so if you complete part of it at home.

If you right click on any feature in the 'Feature Manager Design Tree' and select 'Feature Properties' it will show who created that Feature. All features should be created by the same user.
    This is one way that an Examiner could detect that you didn't do it at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Conor108 wrote: »
    Thats what I thought! How would that even show the IP address of the computer you did it on? Solidworks wouldn't even log it! And I'd imagine most schools have dynamic IP addresses anyway! Crazy argument!
    The solidworks files are also on the disk though and even if you change your username at home to match your school one, the times will look wrong eg. 11pm - cant have been done in school and you cant change these!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Your teacher will have to sign off on your work, and will probably refuse to do so if you complete part of it at home.

Well seems as though he advised us to do it at home I'm sure he will...
    Qwerty? wrote: »
    If you right click on any feature in the 'Feature Manager Design Tree' and select 'Feature Properties' it will show who created that Feature. All features should be created by the same user.
    This is one way that an Examiner could detect that you didn't do it at school.

AFAIK this can be changed. Anyway, you could have made it on two different computers within the school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Mmcd wrote: »
    The solidworks files are also on the disk though and even if you change your username at home to match your school one, the times will look wrong eg. 11pm - cant have been done in school and you cant change these!

Ah but sure you could change the system clock :)

Ah but sure you could change the system clock :)
    You could always just infiltrate the examination commission as a spy and correct your own exam but at the end of the day its only about 20% of the overall work in the project. What Im doing is working at home and in school and when I have my finished product Ill remake it in school with the proper names on features etc..
    I seriously doubt you'll get caught doing it at home but I dont see it as that much of an advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

We had this debate last year, no examiner is going to go bother and check. They only will if a chief examiner gets involved or something is very (or too) good (i.e. Check its your work etc)

I wouldn't be too bothered. In fact, we weren't told ever officially that we couldn't do it at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fuinneamh1

Anyone know do we lose marks if in output 2 we compare two handheld consoles? like a ds lite and a psp

help please!

fuinneamh1 wrote: »
    Anyone know do we lose marks if in output 2 we compare two handheld consoles? like a ds lite and a psp

help please!

I am anyway, and I asked my teacher and he said it will be sound. He actually goes around teaching other teachers on in-service days so he knows his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jabn

Does anyone have any suggestions to a controller that I could pick to modify? I don't want to go with the one for the PS3 of the Xbox because nearly everyone in my class is going for them. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Leavenotrace

Here with the sketching how would they know if you traced? I mean i spent like 4 hours sketching today and i'd hate if some one put in 20mins and traced!

• Advertisement

Here with the sketching how would they know if you traced? I mean i spent like 4 hours sketching today and i'd hate if some one put in 20mins and traced!
    Ya apparently that was a huge problem for the examiners last year, they weren't sure was it allowed or not. I hear they're cracking down on it this year, it's pretty easy to know if its traced tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

jabn wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions to a controller that I could pick to modify? I don't want to go with the one for the PS3 of the Xbox because nearly everyone in my class is going for them. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Just to clarify - You have to modify the one you are modelling.

If you are still looking for a controller to model, why not try the Buzz controller, or one of the children's Vtech controllers, it would be something different that not many will be doing.

Reillyman wrote: »
    Ya apparently that was a huge problem for the examiners last year, they weren't sure was it allowed or not. I hear they're cracking down on it this year, it's pretty easy to know if its traced tbh...

Not true one guy in my class does art and his sketches are like outta this world! i thought he was tracing until he did one in class, So how would they know

Not true one guy in my class does art and his sketches are like outta this world! i thought he was tracing until he did one in class, So how would they know

Yeah I know, there was a few guys last year that were of the same ability, but even them drawings are slightly out of proportion, trust me.

Reillyman wrote: »
    Yeah I know, there was a few guys last year that were of the same ability, but even them drawings are slightly out of proportion, trust me.

I'm telling ya you should see this guy he gets the pencil out and measures this distances. It looks perfectly proportional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭timsnewbridge

they're handheld games consoles not games controllers..

actually its handheld games controllers check your brief

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

does anyone have a link to ps3 controller dimensions??i cant find them on the net.....and does anyone have a guide on how ta make controllers in solidworks??..i wanna practice at home before i start doing it for real in school

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

I measured it myself and it's 95mm high, 155mm long and 50mm deep... approximately :p
    This might be a shot in the dark but does anyone have an NES controller they can measure for me? I have the height, length etc. but I need the exact measurements of the buttons and their loaction for solidworks

gant0 wrote: »
    .....and does anyone have a guide on how ta make controllers in solidworks??..i wanna practice at home before i start doing it for real in school

What the hell have you been doing for the last year and a half?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

well weve been doing other stuff as we werent expecting a controller.....an i have no idea where to start for a ps3 controller...no way i could find out all those equations an other stuff you need by just messing about

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hey guys, I did this last year, I'd suggest you all work backwards. Design your finished controller, then freehand sketch it, then make more basic freehand sketches till you have the basic idea.

One more thing you might want to watch out for, when you sketch and model an existing controller you're not meant to do the same ones as other people in your class (apparently), now this will obviously be an issue, so if you happen to have an Atari controller in your house, you'd be better off modeling that imo.

errlloyd wrote: »
    you're not meant to do the same ones as other people in your class (apparently), now this will obviously be an issue, so if you happen to have an Atari controller in your house, you'd be better off modeling that imo.

Goddamit theres about 3 people in my class doing a DS! Me included

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

Goddamit theres about 3 people in my class doing a DS! Me included
    I'm pretty sure more than one person can do the same controller/console in a class, at the end of the day they won't know what class you were in, all they know is your exam number...

Hey guys, I did this last year, I'd suggest you all work backwards. Design your finished controller, then freehand sketch it, then make more basic freehand sketches till you have the basic idea.

One more thing you might want to watch out for, when you sketch and model an existing controller you're not meant to do the same ones as other people in your class (apparently), now this will obviously be an issue, so if you happen to have an Atari controller in your house, you'd be better off modeling that imo.

Not saying you're wrong but I wish most of the people here would stop posting supposed facts without a source and I wouldnt count most of the teachers as a reliable source seeing as alot seem to know less than most of us!

:rolleyes:

Not only was that quote an epic fail on the basis that it's outrageously wrong, but also the fact that you obviously haven't read this thread as this has been discussed and proven wrong already...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭itsgrand

im doin a psp for my output 4

im wonderin,can it be broken up into the 5 parts?

and ive no clue how to use solidworks,is there any good tutorials that i could use to help me? i know theres lots of tutorials on the actual solidworks,but which ones would be best to help me with the psp?

Hey are there sample or real projects from last year that we can look at online for comparison?

itsgrand wrote: »
    im doin a psp for my output 4

im wonderin,can it be broken up into the 5 parts?

Well the battery, memory stick (?) and battery cover are parts I guess. Maybe if you count individual buttons as parts?

• Advertisement

How are people in terms of progress on the project?

Advertisement