Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Projects '10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

Conor108 wrote: »
    How are people in terms of progress on the project?

Finished outputs 1-6 thank god,, working on ideas for my own design to start after crimbo. What about everyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Just about finished 4. Know what I'm gonna do for part b though

But in regard to output 2, The compare and contrast, I'm doing a DS and a Wiimote. And a DS for output 4. Should I get rid of the wiimote and do another handheld console? Or is that fine? Kinda confused now

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

But in regard to output 2, The compare and contrast, I'm doing a DS and a Wiimote. And a DS for output 4. Should I get rid of the wiimote and do another handheld console? Or is that fine? Kinda confused now

I'm Doing a Console and a controller as well and I know there are more in my class doing the same so I'd say its fine.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fuinneamh1

Hav my idea for the concept design but its not a handheld controller.. more like one you wud sit on a table..

any1 kno if this would be allowd? or would it loose me marks?
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

fuinneamh1 wrote: »
    Hav my idea for the concept design but its not a handheld controller.. more like one you wud sit on a table..

any1 kno if this would be allowd? or would it loose me marks?
    thanks.

don't think it would be allowed?

Not a bit late in the game, for that now??

• Advertisement

kennethk wrote: »

Still a month and a day left! Although I must get cracking:eek:

Still a month and a day left! Although I must get cracking:eek:

better you than me:p
    what was the most popular choice in your class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fuinneamh1

don't think it would be allowed?

a month is plenty of time:D

Choice of thing to model? DS I suppose

Hmm, mostly Wii controller in mine, a few did the guitar hero one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Geard

Our class is i'd say one of the slackest classes doin DCG........ Have to get cracking is right!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 NoHands

Hey are there sample or real projects from last year that we can look at online for comparison?

This is my one from last year. I believe I got an A1 with it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41694067@N06/

guitar hero? cool like 2c tat!
    in mine there's psp's, a gud few doin the nintendo ds
    and even a gameboy sp

and then there's a gud few doin pass:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Wii is way too easy, it's just a box with a few buttons.

I did a Playstation Controller (the right one, not a PSP), very hard! Took me ages to get the curved handles looking somewhat right, had to do a lofted base with splines as Guide curves, it ain't perfect but it will do!

Does anyone have ideas for Mods to a Playstation controller?

NoHands wrote: »
    This is my one from last year. I believe I got an A1 with it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41694067@N06/

Very nice, I'll take tips from this! Good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I went the easy way out and did a Wii. Today I've to do the modification part. My ideas are to add a battery level meter on the controller itself, perhaps change the hook where you tie on the armband part and probably add some grip to the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Slevin7792

For those of you planning to do it in a month, Dont forget 2 weeks of that is mocks. I found out today and nearly died!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Slevin7792

Actually, while im here does anyone know where i can find something that tells me how to model a xbox 360 controller in solidworks???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Can anyone give me a boost with the modification part?

I've to do 3 pages, one is going through the different ideas through sketch, and another is a complete graphical representation of my mods.

Whats the 3rd, and where does the brief fit in?

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    I did a Playstation Controller (the right one, not a PSP), very hard! Took me ages to get the curved handles looking somewhat right, had to do a lofted base with splines as Guide curves, it ain't perfect but it will do!

Does anyone have ideas for Mods to a Playstation controller?

Awh i did that too, it actually was so annoying doing them guild curves, the amount of evenings i took off ass to finish it.........

Try adding in some small grips as the material of the handles is really smooth, maybe slighty move the shoulder buttons to make them more easily reached (for those of us who have short fingers ;) ) , You could add buttons on the bottom of controller (like the Wii) , maybe change the size of the joysticks, or add in small speakers on the controller.. Just a few ideas, hope it helps.. :)

• Advertisement

3_BOoYA_X wrote: »
    Awh i did that too, it actually was so annoying doing them guild curves, the amount of evenings i took off ass to finish it.........

Try adding in some small grips as the material of the handles is really smooth, maybe slighty move the shoulder buttons to make them more easily reached (for those of us who have short fingers ;) ) , You could add buttons on the bottom of controller (like the Wii) , maybe change the size of the joysticks, or add in small speakers on the controller.. Just a few ideas, hope it helps.. :)

Ya, I've spent over Christmas practicing the Curves, got to get stuck into it tomorrow so I can start on the mod. Good ideas. The grip sounds like good idea. I like the speaker one, maybe a headphones plug in aswell.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Ya, I've spent over Christmas practicing the Curves, got to get stuck into it tomorrow so I can start on the mod. Good ideas. The grip sounds like good idea. I like the speaker one, maybe a headphones plug in aswell.

Yeah there a pure bitch to do.. especially trying to get the them all equally touching at the top of the circular part of dpad...:mad: Anywayss....
    Headphones.. Hmm i like it :)
    Maybe even move the pause button over to the sides or something because there real awkward in the middle..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ctk

does anyone know if many marks will be lost if a curve isnt 100%??

Dont think you'l lose many, its the overall look that counts. You will gain more marks for having more solidworks features used.. Eg (guide curves, spline, extudes, fillets etc )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ctk

that is one ov my main problems!!!i hav very limited knowlege on actually getting the spline!..ie the coordinates

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

Yeah do you know for a spline, is it bad to just draw it so it looks vaguely right and then just click fix for all the points instead of putting in dimensions?

Doing a ps3, finished my model and halfway through the modifications... Found it alright, The sketching is the worst part for me, i'm sh!t at anything arty.......
    Does anyone else think its a bit unfair that they just expect us to be able to do these wonderfully rendered and shaded freehand sketches?

Yeah i think it is to an extent because i never did art, but then again TG is slighty arty subject...:/

For the guide curves on mine i made two separate planes (one in the center of the controller and one out where the handle ends) and used the guide curves (four on each) and connected them to look pretty accurate. I used correct dimentions for planes, and stuff but the guide curves were guess work.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Leavenotrace

Slevin7792 wrote: »
    Actually, while im here does anyone know where i can find something that tells me how to model a xbox 360 controller in solidworks???

Here look keep it simple im doing a 360 controller as well and i got the basic shape with extrudes and extrude cuts and mine looks pretty acurate forget all that crack with splines and guide curves all you need is extrude(&cut) and fillet. Theres more than one way to do things, so find the simplest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bigrob

I just finished all my solidworks today! i did the pc propad 4, will not be surprised if no one has heard of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 kershaw93

guys i did a wii controller, do you think they'll take marks off straight away because its basically a box? it look pretty real

Advertisement