Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Teamtalk/Gossip/Media Stories/ Discussion thread

• 12-10-2009 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

heard Dunphy really let rip after the ireland game, unfortunalty i missed it as was on the way back from the pub after the game, anyone have or know of any links for it, cant see it on rteplayer or find it on youtube.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

You should be able to see it in the sports section of the RTE news under soccer, find the story about the game on there. There's video links on the right hand side of that page. You'll need to have Realplayer installed and enabled in your browser though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

ah just the usual dunphy rant... mentions andy reid most of the time and how we need him back but sure we all know that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

You'd be better off looking up Traps interview,I thought he was gonna threaten concrete slippers after being asked about Andy Reid,quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dunphy's a Skinny Rat - Hunt. Front page of tomorrow's Star.

He's not wrong either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

It's all been done before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Trap is gonna have a blow out like he had at Bayern Munich soon. :D

At least he's capable of it. I mean, a little passion I'd take over some polite semi-comatose twaddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Stephen Hunt on Dunphy!
    'We’re not so much annoyed but they know what goes on. They have families, families watch games and stuff like that. Where do they get their kicks from? Do you know what I mean? Especially Dunphy, he should know better by now. He’s a skinny rat, a skinny, little rat.

'Listen, the world champions came to town and, despite what people say, we did OK. There are a certain two or three people who say stuff and they just say it for the sake of saying it - to be the bad cop. What’s the point in that? To get a higher salary in the RTE or wherever they come from? It’s stupid.

'I’m talking about certain people who say it for the sake of it and it just doesn’t make sense. Why say it? To earn bigger money or to be the man? Silly rat.

'I just hear things, what goes on. You are paid to give a personal opinion on the game but at least give an honest one.

'Italy have always just done enough to qualify and that is their record. They just did enough to win the World Cup, they just did enough over the last 20 years. Their history says it. To perform the way we did was great for the boys, so credit where credit is due.

'I would be the first to say if we’re rubbish, write and say what you want on TV, but don’t say it for the sake of saying things, to be different. What’s the point? Some people say things for the sake of it and you think ‘What are they doing? What are they trying to achieve? Sell more newspapers or get more viewers?’ It’s ridiculous.'

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Stephen Hunt on Dunphy!
    Stephen Hunt on Dunphy!

Quote:
    'We’re not so much annoyed but they know what goes on. They have families, families watch games and stuff like that. Where do they get their kicks from? Do you know what I mean? Especially Dunphy, he should know better by now. He’s a skinny rat, a skinny, little rat.

'Listen, the world champions came to town and, despite what people say, we did OK. There are a certain two or three people who say stuff and they just say it for the sake of saying it - to be the bad cop. What’s the point in that? To get a higher salary in the RTE or wherever they come from? It’s stupid.

'I’m talking about certain people who say it for the sake of it and it just doesn’t make sense. Why say it? To earn bigger money or to be the man? Silly rat.

'I just hear things, what goes on. You are paid to give a personal opinion on the game but at least give an honest one.

'Italy have always just done enough to qualify and that is their record. They just did enough to win the World Cup, they just did enough over the last 20 years. Their history says it. To perform the way we did was great for the boys, so credit where credit is due.

'I would be the first to say if we’re rubbish, write and say what you want on TV, but don’t say it for the sake of saying things, to be different. What’s the point? Some people say things for the sake of it and you think ‘What are they doing? What are they trying to achieve? Sell more newspapers or get more viewers?’ It’s ridiculous.'

That's good stuff from Hunt, he could have left out the name calling though and it would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Stephen Hunt on Dunphy!

Spot f^^king on. Stephen Hunt has just shot right up in my estimation.

• Advertisement

Fair play to Hunt for speaking his mind but,he comes out of it looking a little silly imo,no better than Dunphy really,perhaps could have chosen his words with a little more care.
    Fair play to him all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'd hate to see them go back to the siege mentality of previous management/teams.

All this "Everyone hates us", "won't talk to the media cause they are against us", "you're either inside the tent pissing out or outside the tent pissing in" attitude has been a feature of regimes through Staunton, McCarthy, Charlton and I'm just about old enough to remember it during Eoin Hands time as well.
    Its tiresome and I honestly don't think it helps the players at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Spot f^^king on. Stephen Hunt has just shot right up in my estimation.

He's not spot on. Dunphy was one of the first people on RTE who was willing to take a pay cut. So where he's getting the idea that he's just doing it for money I have no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

briany wrote: »
    You should be able to see it in the sports section of the RTE news under soccer, find the story about the game on there. There's video links on the right hand side of that page. You'll need to have Realplayer installed and enabled in your browser though.

URL: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1010/ireit_reaction_av.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

tdv wrote: »
    He's not spot on. Dunphy was one of the first people on RTE who was willing to take a pay cut. So where he's getting the idea that he's just doing it for money I have no idea.

Oh give me a break. Dunphy wouldn't have a wage to accept a cut on if he didn't play the controversy card. Hook does it in Rugby. Spillane more recently copped on to the tactic and started doing it in GAA. It entertains some, angers others, but guaratnees people will watch and keeps you in the spotlight.

Dunphy's being doing it right from the beginning of his career, right back to the spiteful nonsense he wrote about Brady during his playing days. Profiting personally off stirring sh*t is exactly the kind of career that is befitting of the labels used by Hunt and fair play to him for not holding back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Oh give me a break. Dunphy wouldn't have a wage to accept a cut on if he didn't play the controversy card. Hook does it in Rugby. Spillane more recently copped on to the tactic and started doing it in GAA. It entertains some, angers others, but guaratnees people will watch and keeps you in the spotlight.

Dunphy's being doing it right from the beginning of his career, right back to the spiteful nonsense he wrote about Brady during his playing days. Profiting personally off stirring sh*t is exactly the kind of career that is befitting of the labels used by Hunt and fair play to him for not holding back.

We all what Dunphy is like there must 50 threads of him on here by now. And you yes dose stirr alot of **** but makes a point at the same time.

Hunt is just being over sensitive he cant take criticism. And is just taking things out of context aswell.
    'I would be the first to say if we’re rubbish, write and say what you want on TV,

I don't rember anybody on the RTE panel calling the team rubbish.

The mutual feeling between the panel was that the performance when Irealnd had possesion of the ball was very below the standard that it should be. Which I think is spot on.

And skinny rat? I certainley don't rember anyone making remarks about a players physical appearence. Just childish name calling from Hunt who needs to grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

tdv wrote: »
    I don't rember anybody on the RTE panel calling the team rubbish.

Bill put it to the panel that it was a good performance, citing that we'd drawn with, and nearly beaten Italy...and Dunphy proceeded to call it one of the worst performances he had ever seen from an Irish team. as bad as any other performance in the group stages.

Hunt has every right to defend the performance of the team.

the name calling was indeed needless and childish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Thing with Dunphy is that if he says something against a team you support he is spouting rubbish, if it is against a team you don't support then it is great stuff, he is being honest and you would not get it on Sky etc..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Thing with Dunphy is that if he says something against a team you support he is spouting rubbish, if it is against a team you don't support then it is great stuff, he is being honest and you would not get it on Sky etc..

wrong.

There's a well known idea in journalism and it's recognition through cynicism, and it's the worst way to go about being a writer or tv/radio presonality because for all the moaning etc. it actually shows less balls than to say what you really think.

With politics I can listen to Dunphy, with Sport he's actually a liar and a sheep.

mayordenis wrote: »
    wrong.

There's a well known idea in journalism and it's recognition through cynicism, and it's the worst way to go about being a writer or tv/radio presonality because for all the moaning etc. it actually shows less balls than to say what you really think.

With politics I can listen to Dunphy, with Sport he's actually a liar and a sheep.

Obviously not everyone will fell like this but in general people will react like this to Dunphy, great if he is having a rant at a team you don't support, terrible if the opposiite is the case.

• Advertisement

Obviously not everyone will fell like this but in general people will react like this to Dunphy, great if he is having a rant at a team you don't support, terrible if the opposiite is the case.

If someone is very biased towards a team then yes, a Dunphy rant can be amusing. But if someone uses their brain they'll realise just how cynical and downright miserable he is.

JPA wrote: »
    If someone is very biased towards a team then yes, a Dunphy rant can be amusing. But if someone uses their brain they'll realise just how cynical and downright miserable he is.

I would agree with you, but from what I have seen, people generally react based on who the rant is against. Just read the threads on a CL night.

I would agree with you, but from what I have seen, people generally react based on who the rant is against. Just read the threads on a CL night.

This is an excellent point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Looking forward to Dunphy's retort tomorrow!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Hunt's shot up in my estimation as well. Fair play to him.

Dunphy is a skinny little fúcking rat.
    Sure he entertains but no one ever takes what he says seriously.
    Why? because he's a bitter deluded poisonous little man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Do him and Giles still think Scholes is the messiah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1013/hunts.html

Stephen Hunt has branded Eamon Dunphy a 'skinny little rat' after the pundit described Ireland's performance in drawing with Italy as 'shameful'.

Irish insults are great :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Fair play to Hunt for calling it as it is. Dunphy has made an entire career out of insulting the Republic of Ireland squad and manager, going back two decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Like others have said Hunt has certainly shot up in my estimations, and its no harm at all to see one of our players showing a bit of passion and pride in the teams performance.

As for Dunphy you do know he doesnt even believe what he is saying himself half the time, its just controvesy for the sake of it, just look at he's u-turn on Roy Keane for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Ireland should have beaten Italy and indeed showed their lack of ability and tactical awareness to the full. Dunphy was right. The Irish team is so devoid of quality its pathetic. Trappatoni is not wholly to blame as injuries have hampered the availabilty of steven reid to the squad but Andy Reid alongside his namesake is a better central midfield than Ireland currently have.

It is sickening that Ireland have quality players who just cant avoid injuries, just wont play or wont be picked by trappatoni

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I agree with Dunphy in so far as the Reid situation and how far giving the opposition all the ball can get us but it was a million miles away from a 'shameful' performance.

Cyprus in 06 was a shameful performance.

noodler wrote: »
    I agree with Dunphy in so far as the Reid situation and how far giving the opposition all the ball can get us but it was a million miles away from a 'shameful' performance.

Cyprus in 06 was a shameful performance.

I know from the other thread your opinion on the Andy Reid issue and you know mine so we wont go into that we'll agree to disagree on the merits of it ;) but isnt this just another perfect example of Dunphy at he's worst, he spent over two years constantly barking on about Andy not been good enough to play for Ireland and then when he is admitedly controversially axed Dunphy is all up in arms about it been the greatest travesty in Irish soccers history or something

My da hates Eamonn Dunphy but yet he still watches the RTE coverage of the games. This applies to a lot of people I know, they don't like Dunphy but they still watch when they could be looking at SKY's coverage or an internet stream or maybe even radio. Say what you want but I'd much rather see Eamonn go of on one than see those guys on SKY sports going on and on.

he spent over two years constantly barking on about Andy not been good enough to play for Ireland

I dispute this.

If Dunphy ever criticized Andy Reid before then that is fine. All players receive criticism at some stage.

I don't recall any two year spell where Dunphy was using all his airtime to say Reid wasn't good enough.

He wouldn't have either, Reid generally played well for Ireland under Kerr and Stan.

• Advertisement

I dispute this.

If Dunphy ever criticized Andy Reid before then that is fine. All players receive criticism at some stage.

I don't recall any two year spell where Dunphy was using all his airtime to say Reid wasn't good enough.

He wouldn't have either, Reid generally played well for Ireland under Kerr and Stan.

He was very much anti- reid and called him lazy and over-weight on more than a few occasions and even did it after some of Andy's better performances quiet similar to Gile's apparent apathy for Aiden McGeadey the panelists dont allow little things like facts or performances get in the way of a good old sh*t stirring rant.

He was very much anti- reid and called him lazy and over-weight on more than a few occasions and even did it after some of Andy's better performances quiet similar to Gile's apparent apathy for Aiden McGeadey the panelists dont allow little things like facts or performances get in the way of a good old sh*t stirring rant.

Now don't go backing away from what you originally said, are you still sticking with the argument that Dunphy has nothing but criticism for Andy Reid for two straight years and called for him to be axed from the Ireland setup?

What you have said above does not constitute that, in fact any criticism about Reid's weight is completely justified. There was always the sense that if he was that good with the weight, imagine how good he would be without it.

Now don't go backing away from what you originally said, are you still sticking with the argument that Dunphy has nothing but criticism for Andy Reid for two straight years and called for him to be axed from the Ireland setup?

What you have said above does not constitute that, in fact any criticism about Reid's weight is completely justified. There was always the sense that if he was that good with the weight, imagine how good he would be without it.

How am i backing away from what I said - you dont think labeling someone lazy and overweight constitute's criticism??

Im not getting into this again especially when its dragging a thread off topic, you think Andy Reid is great I think he is average at best so just leave it at that. My head hurts from beating it off a brick wall tbh as im sure your's does, but wouln'nt sport be very boring if everyone agreed all the time!

How am i backing away from what I said - you dont think labeling someone lazy and overweight constitute's criticism??

You said Dunphy was calling for Reid to be axed from the Irish setup for two years.

This is a brazen exaggeration.

The lazy and overweight criticisms have been around for years and occasionally saying Reid needs to loose weight does not equal feeling he should be axed from anything.

There is nobody who felt Reid's weight wasn't an issue, Dunphy was hardly alone in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Ya know what? I LOVE looking at Dunphy, Giles + Extra after Ireland matches.

I fell its as important to me as the match itself - at least for entertainment value.

In fairness, they're hilarious! Take what they say with a pinch of salt, seriously, Dunphy would stil wind the rest up, even if we beat Brazil in the World Cup final after playing an amazing 90 minutes, scoring 3 top goals, and playing exciting, flowing, world class football.

Thats what he's there for. Cause a bit of a stir and controversy. Why else would they bring in Souness?? Everyone knows they NEVER agree, nearly came to a punch up a while ago etc etc

Its all for the entertainment value, and should be left at that. Leave the analysis to the analysts, and the entertainment to the entertainers - Dunphy et al.

Less just be thankful Dunphy isn't ON the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I know from the other thread your opinion on the Andy Reid issue and you know mine so we wont go into that we'll agree to disagree on the merits of it ;) but isnt this just another perfect example of Dunphy at he's worst, he spent over two years constantly barking on about Andy not been good enough to play for Ireland and then when he is admitedly controversially axed Dunphy is all up in arms about it been the greatest travesty in Irish soccers history or something

Hey noodler, just wanted to add that premierstone didnt say dunphy was calling for him to be axed as you seem to keep bringing this up! he said that dunphy was up in arms when he WAS axed.
    I myself remember dunphy going on for ages how he wasnt good enough (over weight,lazy etc). Then again he has said similar thing about alot of players, john o'shea (now he's world class according to dunphy) mcgeady and others. always saying they will never be good enough which always annoys me!

he spent over two years constantly barking on about Andy not been good enough to play for Ireland

There you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

well i think "calling for him to be axed" is a bit strong. i wouldnt be suprised if he did say andy wasnt good enough to play for us but i dont think that means dunphy was saying for him to be axed from the squad.
    would be funny to see a clip of all dunphy's changes of mind on players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Good for Hunt. Most of the country's been complaining about Dunphy for years, it's about time someone wityh a bit more status stood up and called it as it is.

He's never happy with a performance. I remember a few years ago Germany won a match 6-0 and he still critisized them! Unbelievable.

And the way he picks apart every little fault in our performance is a disgrace, IMO. Yes, constructive criticism would be good, but how is pointing out every single flaw and analysing in depth constructive.

I think he needs to realise that Ireland has an average squad with avreage ambitions and get over it.

DaPoolRulz wrote: »

I think he needs to realise that Ireland has an average squad with avreage ambitions and get over it.

Thank Christ you're not in charge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Dunphy On Harry Kewell:
    "Kewell should have been yanked off the pitch at half time and put in
    a hot bath, a boiling hot bath."
    "Fat and a clown. A fat clown for all to see."

Dunphy On Rio Ferdinand:
    "Ferdinand is a clown. He was a liability for the first goal and he is
    always a liability. It was Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink against Rio
    Ferdinand of Barclays Bank."
    "a tramp"

I think Huntie is really just learning his future trade as a pundit from the master of name-calling :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Thank Christ you're not in charge!
    Let's be honest, we're not going to win the World Cup. Our ambition is to qualify for it and to the best we can when we're there, yes? And with the exception of the dozen or so countries who can win it, isn't that every country's ambition? Sounds like an 'average' target to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I just cant stand the negativity from the panel. Its painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Tusky wrote: »
    I just cant stand the negativity from the panel. Its painful.
    Dunphy aside they are reflecting whats being played on the pitch. Souness has consistently said Ireland should be delighted to be in this position. Giles has consistently praised Trappatoni for getting this far with the players he is picking. Note the he is picking line. All the panel rightly believe if Trap was to pick more technically skillful players in midfield then we would be more effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Dunphy's full of it.
    How anyone can complain about the performance that leads to a draw and nearly beating a team that has better players in every single position, is beyond me.

If we tried to play football against the Italians for 90 minutes we would have been slaughtered. The best we could do was make the game difficult for the Italians by getting men behind the ball and nick a goal(or two) if we could.

We didn't concede because we were hoofing the ball away, we conceeded because we got ahead of ourselves and gave away posession with too many players committed and were hit on the counter. O'Shea out of position, a bad goalkeeping decision and shocking defending by St Ledger made the finish easy for them.

Eamon Dunphy can want us to play football all he wants, frankly I'd rather be in the World Cup play-offs

• Advertisement
Advertisement