Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Teamtalk/Gossip/Media Stories/ Discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

My sources tell me Jamie O' Hara will soon be confirmed as an Irish player. ;)

Stay tuned to radio station Dublin 98 for an interview with him in the coming days.

Fantastic news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

Stay tuned to radio station Dublin 98 for an interview with him in the coming days.

Fantastic news.

Ill believe that when i see it

I'm not certain about it, but I really hope so. It'd be brilliant to have him available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

I'm not certain about it, but I really hope so. It'd be brilliant to have him available.

Well it's on Wikipedia so it must be true ;).

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jamie_O%27Hara_%28footballer%29&oldid=347310094#Honours

Bukman13 wrote: »

Eire-Dearg works fast :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Fantastic news.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought he already declared himself? Today or yesterday?

I heard nothing about it!

Lol at the Wiki page, it wasn't me!

Let's hope he's declared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

What's the story regarding Euro 2012 fixtures? I see Scotland have had their fixtures published. Any idea when Irelands fixtures come out?

O'Hara was on soccer Saturday there just a few minutes ago

it seems he wont be making a decision until after the WC, he's hoping some of English players may retire after the WC so he may have a chance to get into the England squad. I reckon if England dont call him up he may declare for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Headshot wrote: »

it seems he wont be making a decision until after the WC, he's hoping some of English players may retire after the WC so he may have a chance to get into the England squad. I reckon if we England dont call him up he may declare for us

Its quite simple for me now. He shouldn't be picked.

I am willing to accept players if they want to play for us - if they consider themselves Irish on some level but asking us to wait until the next tournament qualifications start to see if he gets a call-up?

Well **** that. He doesn't want to play for us - its over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

noodler wrote: »
    Its quite simple for me now. He shouldn't be picked.

I am willing to accept players if they want to play for us - if they consider themselves Irish on some level but asking us to wait until the next tournament qualifications start to see if he gets a call-up?

Well **** that. He doesn't want to play for us - its over.

Meh. If a good player'll play for us, I'll take him. I'd rather we win with mercenaries than lose.

Meh. If a good player'll play for us, I'll take him. I'd rather we win with mercenaries than lose.

I think that argument only works to a certain point.

Waiting another 6 months to see if England call you up (dream on btw Jamie) is an absolute joke.

Time to move on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Keith Andrews is painfully shit but if O'Hara said that then give me Keith any day of the week. Mind I'm not even surprised, I would probably do the same if I was Jamie O'Hara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

in fairness, the likes of Aldridge didnt declare for us until he was 28, its fair enough that O'Hara wants to wait a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I hear he's the type who likes to party and is meant to be a bad influence. I dunno if thats true though.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    in fairness, the likes of Aldridge didnt declare for us until he was 28, its fair enough that O'Hara wants to wait a while.

It isn't okay no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Headshot wrote: »

it seems he wont be making a decision until after the WC, he's hoping some of English players may retire after the WC so he may have a chance to get into the England squad. I reckon if England dont call him up he may declare for us

Not too keen on O'Hara playing for Ireland if this is how he really feels. But if Trappatoni is willing to wait and still pick him, there's nothing I can do about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Not too keen on O'Hara playing for Ireland if this is how he really feels. But if Trappatoni is willing to wait and still pick him, there's nothing I can do about that.

In fairness, it's not Trap's job to safeguard the purity of the national team, it's just to win games. In my mind, that should be our priority anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Would O'Hara do a job LB anyone reckon?

And if he is only fcuking us around, we should do all we can to convince him to play for us.

Then play him for one competitive game, and tell him in Irish to fcuk back to England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't see the problem. Are you not allowed feel an affinity for two countries? I don't see anything wrong with O'Hara keeping the door open to an England call-up. If he feels that's closed off to him then I'd personally welcome him with open arms to the Irish set-up.

As far as I can see he would be the biggest acquisition we could get under this new rule.

• Advertisement

I don't see the problem. Are you not allowed feel an affinity for two countries? I don't see anything wrong with O'Hara keeping the door open to an England call-up. If he feels that's closed off to him then I'd personally welcome him with open arms to the Irish set-up.

As far as I can see he would be the biggest acquisition we could get under this new rule.

Well, in my opinion, Stephen Ireland gets lambasted for a hell of alot less.

I am all for casting the net but I don't want to have to drag players over here from England when there are more willing players available. I sincerely question the commitment of somebody who has to be chased for well over a year just to declare.

It wouldn't be acceptable at club level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I agree, and I am sure even those players in the past that have chosen to play for Ireland will still retain a strong affinity with England, afterall they were born there, live there and have learned there trade there also.

As a side note can you imagine the reaction of Irish fans though if the situation was reversed ;)

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I agree, and I am sure even those players in the past that have chosen to play for Ireland will still retain a strong affinity with England, afterall they were born there, live there and have learned there trade there also.

As a side note can you imagine the reaction of Irish fans though if the situation was reversed ;)
    Is there not a Dutch kid this could happen with? Can't think of his name, but sure he has been mentioned here before, Barry something maybe

Is there not a Dutch kid this could happen with? Can't think of his name, but sure he has been mentioned here before, Barry something maybe

Barry Maguire.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Maguire

That is him, moving on to September, what do people reckon the team will be?

GK - nothing to discuss here, apart from maybe Westwood will hopefully be playing in the Prem before Euro 2012 comes around

CB - Dunne looks as good as ever for Villa this year, we certainly have another campaign out of him, O'Shea and St.Ledger certainly looked solid under Trap, but St Ledger has an uncertain club future. Aside from this Marc Wilson and Shane Duffy will hopefully push on to keep gingers away from our side for a while. O'Dea hasn't developed as we had expected

RB/LB - O'Shea was solid at RB with St.Ledger in the center, likewise Wilson could play here maybe with Johno moving to LB? We also have Kevin Foley who I thought would have gotten a call up by now. Is Phil Bardsley eligible? LB is a bit of a worry, surely Kilbane has done enough for us at this stage - the legend? Stephen Ward, is he good enough? Jamie O'Hara?

CM - hopefully McCarthy will get his chance, along with one of Whelan or Andrews, who I feel grew into their roles towards the end of WC qualifying, and both still have a future in the squad. Chris McCann has been unlucky with injuries this season, and Owen Garvan seems to have gone backwards, both players I would have expected to have full caps by now. Hopefully S Reids loan will show he can still do it, if he fails to do anything at WBA I fear for his career. Conor Clifford or Robert Brady - maybe this campaign is too soon. Andy Reid and Trap will never happen I'd say. And as for Stev....less said about him the better

RM/LM - no changes on the wings with all 4 in good form - Duff, Hunt, McGeady or Lawrence. I'd like to see McGeady leave Scotland, maybe even go to Europe, and the other 3 staying in the Prem. Can't see many coming through here, maybe Scannell but he seems more of a 4-3-3 winger than 4-4-2

CF - Keane and Doyle first choice without doubt. But worryingly there is a strong possibility neither will be playing in the EPL come September. Behind them Long looks to have eventually found form, and Stokes is scoring for fun, but in Scotland. Will Leon Best play in the Prem for Newcastle? Could Robbie get a partnership going with Cillian Sheridan if he comes back to Celtic?

Anyone see any other changes / players I have missed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

You missed Caleb Folan. And you should have said:

"CF - Keane and Doyle first choice no doubt. If it isnt working stick Caleb Folan on and we will have a 100% success rate from any ball kicked into the air."

You also may have missed Seamus Coleman at Everton who turned a few heads with his showing against Spurs, surely a future Prem RB/LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

In fairness, it's not Trap's job to safeguard the purity of the national team, it's just to win games. In my mind, that should be our priority anyway.

Agreed. Trappatoni's job is to pick the best players that are available to him.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

You also may have missed Seamus Coleman at Everton who turned a few heads with his showing against Spurs, surely a future Prem RB/LB.

Jesus H Christ - talk about jumping the gun.

What's the story regarding Euro 2012 fixtures? I see Scotland have had their fixtures published. Any idea when Irelands fixtures come out?

Group B fixtures are to be negotiated in Moscow, Russia on 15th and 16th March 2010.

And if all teams can't agree then the will be determined by lots by Uefa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

noodler wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ - talk about jumping the gun.

Huh?

The lad is a future premiership right back/left back, how is that jumping the gun? Considering Paul McShane is a premiership right back, its hardly touting the lad for a FIFA World XI spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Seamus Coleman was missed there and looks to have more a future than some of the other players mentioned.

Cillian Sheridan is never going to be good enough to be a regular Irish International player. And thats from a celtic fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Trap wont play O Hara anyway!:rolleyes: Hel get his chance when Trap leaves. Its Whelan and Andrews in the middle till Trap leaves Ireland. Why would he change a midfield or a team that nearly beat France to gt to the world cup. Im sure he thinks Ireland has exceeded there potential in the last 2 years so why would he change anything. I think thats wrong btw but I think thats how Trapp thinks!

Fixtures for group B are currently being negoiated in Moscow, and should be out within the next day or two.

Uefa have made a few changes to the days in which the games will be played. All mid-week games are to be played on a Tuesday to allow players enough time to return back to their respective clubs.

Dates of Matchdays

3/4 and 7 September 2010
    8/9 and 12 October 2010
    25/26 and 29 March 2011
    3/4 and 7 June 2011
    2/3 and 6 September 2011
    7/8 and 11 October 2011

What would you like to see as our opening fixtures?

We aren't restricted to 2 opening away games in September like the last campaign (Georgia and Montenegro) as Landsdowne Rd (Aviva) will be re-opened by then.
      Macedonia 3rd Sep
    (H)
      Andorra 7th Sep
    (A)

Would be my preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think it's best to get the tough ones out of the way early. I'd like Russia away in one of the first 2 games. It would also avoid a winter trip to Moscow.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Republic of Ireland versus England at Italia 90 on ESPN classic right now.

Lmao how the English commentator keeps emphasising that practically the entire ROI team was born in the UK.

I think it's best to get the tough ones out of the way early. I'd like Russia away in one of the first 2 games. It would also avoid a winter trip to Moscow.

Don't think I would be a fan of that tbh. Russia's season runs from March - November. I we played them in September the majority of their squad will be coming into their season peak, we will only be 2/3 games into our season and still a bit rusty.

Plus, Russia are almost impossible to beat at home competitively. A loss in our first game would set us up bad for the rest of the group.

Playing them in March would be my preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Don't think I would be a fan of that tbh. Russia's season runs from March - November. I we played them in September the majority of their squad will be coming into their season peak, we will only be 2/3 games into our season and still a bit rusty.

Plus, Russia are almost impossible to beat at home competitively. A loss in our first game would set us up bad for the rest of the group.

While you're probably right about them being in their peak season if we played them I'd much rather get the difficult games out of the way first. At least if we lost (which will more than likely be the result. That or a draw) we wouldn't have to depend on it later on in the campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Don't think we should fear Russia all that much, to be honest. They were knocked out in WC play-offs, and they'll have lost Hiddink as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

In fairness, a lot of their better players don't play in Russia...

Once we didn't get them in the middle of their winter I'd be happy enough.

• Advertisement

Don't think we should fear Russia all that much, to be honest. They were knocked out in WC play-offs, and they'll have lost Hiddink as well.

Yea, I agree somewhat that we shouldn't fear them, especially at home. But I think we would have a far greater advantage playing them away in March than early September. Russia's loss to Germany on the final match day of the World Cup Qualifaction was their first ever loos at home in a World cup match, and if I remember correctly many peoples team to avoid for the play-offs was Russia. A draw away from home would be a great result.

They hammered Slovenia in the first leg of the play-offs, and should have been 4/5 nil up, when Slovenia scored in the last min to make it 2-1. In the second leg they were imo harshly reduced to 10 men (and latter 9men) in a scrappy defensive game.

Agree about the loss of Hiddink though. That is a huge plus for us.
    In fairness, a lot of their better players don't play in Russia...

Once we didn't get them in the middle of their winter I'd be happy enough.

Only 5 of their 30 man squad play outside Russia. Granted that includes Arshavin, Bilyaletdinov and Paveluchenko who will probably start for them. But I still think their team would be stonger in September than in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

No deal on dates for Ireland's 2012 qualifiers
    A meeting to arrange fixtures for the Republic of Ireland's group in the forthcoming European Championship qualifiers has ended without agreement in Moscow.

The FAI Cheif Executive, John Delaney, told RTÉ that Ireland, Russia and Slovakia did agree dates, but one of the other countries applied their veto.

As a result, Delaney confirmed that the draw will now be taken out of the hands of the countries involved and made by UEFA.

Into the hands of UEFA!!!!!!!!!

Russia and Slovakia away last two games so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Clark is a shocking player, shouldn't even be in the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Clark is a shocking player, shouldn't even be in the squad

Care to suggest better alternatives? We don't have any quality centre halves to be saying a premier league starter shouldn't be in the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

A lot of Irish players in the championship/reserves with this transfer window. Ciaran Clarke could end up 4th choice centre half at Villa, Richard Dunne is gone to QPR. John O'Shea, Glen Whelan, James McClean, Marc Wilson and Wes Hoolahan are all in danger of not getting gametime. James McCarthy is still waiting for someone to take him from Wigan. Not promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

A lot of Irish players in the championship/reserves with this transfer window. Ciaran Clarke could end up 4th choice centre half at Villa, Richard Dunne is gone to QPR. John O'Shea, Glen Whelan, James McClean, Marc Wilson and Wes Hoolahan are all in danger of not getting gametime. James McCarthy is still waiting for someone to take him from Wigan. Not promising.

All is ok, Paul McShane is now a premier league player with Hull, and even better news is that he signed a new 2 year contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Are many going to the Sweden game in September, that will be the big one. Win that and we give ourselves a chance of getting into the playoffs. I bought my tickets yesterday and see there are still lots left. Looking forward to it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Think there's 11 of us going up to it, its a must win game if we have any chance of making the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Think there's 11 of us going up to it, its a must win game if we have any chance of making the playoffs.

I have not been to the Aviva yet. I'm about halfway back in the lower tier blk 119, anyone know what these tickets are like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

wtf? this thread has jumped from 2010 to today in the space of a few posts:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

wtf? this thread has jumped from 2010 to today in the space of a few posts:confused:

Moderator magic

• Advertisement
Advertisement