Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Teamtalk/Gossip/Media Stories/ Discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

dyl10 wrote: »

Eamon Dunphy can want us to play football all he wants, frankly I'd rather be in the World Cup play-offs

+1

Still think he's a good watch though, only with a pinch of salt handy mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

8-10 wrote: »

Can't argue with that. The Irish panel is my favourite to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

8-10 wrote: »
    +1

In terms of achievement, he wouldnt lace Giovanni Trapattoni's shoes.

You may not agree with Graeme Souness or John Giles but at least they have some semblance of credibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

"there are players who are aesthetically pleasing, and there are winning players...some players may be beautiful to watch but it is not enough, you need to win, there is poetry and there are novels, novels are different to poetry"

Nice :rolleyes: except we don't actually win many games, for someone in the game as long as him you'd think by now he'd know the difference between not being beat and "winning"!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

deserving of its own thread?

there's a few on the first page this would have been suited for

Whatfukkinever

where should I have put it? Shelbourne v Paul McGrath selection or Chelsea team talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mr Alan wrote: »
    deserving of its own thread?

there's a few on the first page this would have been suited for
    True.

As for the this
    dogpile wrote: »
    Nice :rolleyes: except we don't actually win many games, for someone in the game as long as him you'd think by now he'd know the difference between not being beat and "winning"!!
    Why the rolleyes?

Trap is justified in his selection process and his decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Did i miss something? ....like Ireland finishing last in the group or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Whatfukkinever

where should I have put it? Shelbourne v Paul McGrath selection or Chelsea team talk

Probably the big thread called "How do you rate Trapattoni". You could have voted in the poll, posted that comment etc. You would have loved it!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Whatfukkinever

Nice to see the Chelsea thread has arrived

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I agreed in principle with Dunphy , our creative midfield play was non exist, the passing was poor overall, yes we scored 2 good goals, from set piece ... some people expect more than just results - watching Arsenal, Brazil etc . is what i like ... even though I support Ireland and Everton - its a tough life

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Merge all these goddam threads ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Footballer in respect for possible opponent shocker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Why not just have a sticky for general discussion about the Ireland team?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

What's he going to say?

We'll crush those donkeys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Eamon Dunphy can want us to play football all he wants, frankly I'd rather be in the World Cup play-offs

See, heres the problem. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

People are talking down the squad a little too much, we could be top of the group now if a bit more had been shown in the Bulgarian games.

lolz

We are unbeaten, we can score goals, Croke park is a tough place to go. why would anyone want to draw us. Nobody should really want anyone except 2nd seeds wanting Greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

considering that we have now reached the play offs, are there many of them being rested for tommorow night, and avoiding the risk of being suspended.

not suggesting that they are going out to get booked, but you never know, a rash challange, unsporting behaviour from the oposition, a bad ref and a booking causing a player to miss the next match

i my self would like the stongest possible team for the first play off to get that cushion for the second leg, and if that means resting or not selecting players, i'd accept that, granted with player availability, cant not select all of them, but can anyone see el trap making any sacrifices tomorrow

We need to use the Ireland superthread imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Only Given going to be playing!

thread closed/!

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Did i miss something? ....like Ireland finishing last in the group or something.

True and a good point well made..

but he hasn't won alot which was his point....my point in pointing this out was also a good point well made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Yeah the lower 4 seeds are hardly world beaters and we propably are the best of them. I think it's our style he is more wary of as the other teams have similar eastern European style as therselves and I'm sure they'd be confident of outclassing them rather than trying to combat our in your face style of football

It could also be a case that he seen us hold the world champions to a draw twice without seeing the games and is overestimating how good we are!

Dunphy's a Skinny Rat - Hunt. Front page of tomorrow's Star.

Funny he should mention it, it's an image I've often got when I've seen him take the field :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

"It is a pity Greece is one of the seeded teams. Talking about our possible opponents I can say that I have enough of British football that is why I don’t want to meet Ireland."

That's what he said. I think he means he has enough of the style of football rather than he thinks we will beat them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

CHD wrote: »
    lolz

We are unbeaten, we can score goals, Croke park is a tough place to go. why would anyone want to draw us. Nobody should really want anyone except 2nd seeds wanting Greece.

Russia should want Ukraine so they don't get one of those pesky away ties across the whole of Europe

He was very much anti- reid and called him lazy and over-weight on more than a few occasions and even did it after some of Andy's better performances .

I would go as far as him being Anti-Reid at the time but I do have recollections of him being very dismissive of the players ability at this level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ugh, pointless.

arshavin was always going to be respectful, always.

and anyway, as CHD said, nobody should be relishing anyone except 2nd seeds wanting Greece.

can't wait for the draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I have to say, I used to enjoy listening to dunphy, but to take him serious as a football analyst or journalist is a bad idea. Sure Fergie has "lost it" a few years ago when Chelsea won the league. He doesn't rate ronaldo as a player. He slated liverpool after the Madrid game in the Bernabeu cos they defended (even though they won!).
    I don't enjoy listening to Dunphy anymore because Brady isn't on the panel. He was the only one that would disagree with dunphy and argue against him.

If dunphy was a boards member he'd be banned long ago for trolling.

Oh yeah, hunts performances are going to be destroyed by dunphy in future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Dunphy's full of it.
    How anyone can complain about the performance that leads to a draw and nearly beating a team that has better players in every single position, is beyond me.

If we tried to play football against the Italians for 90 minutes we would have been slaughtered. The best we could do was make the game difficult for the Italians by getting men behind the ball and nick a goal(or two) if we could.

We didn't concede because we were hoofing the ball away, we conceeded because we got ahead of ourselves and gave away posession with too many players committed and were hit on the counter. O'Shea out of position, a bad goalkeeping decision and shocking defending by St Ledger made the finish easy for them.

Hang on.

I said before the game, I'd be happy with the draw to my mate. A bunch of us were watching the game, and afterwards the general consensus was that we weren't actually happy with the draw, we thought we could have won.

Italy do have better players, but they didn't play any better or any worse than us really. And the way we played in the first twenty minutes really got to them, there were signs we could do a lot of damage to a team.

Had we kept that up, I doubt Dunphy would have complained, but his point that we're a negative team isn't that wrong, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Actually yeah, when is the draw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

baraca wrote: »
    Actually yeah, when is the draw?

Monday

I think we would give Russia a good game at Croke Park but I'd fear for us in the away leg for a number of reasons, the long trip, the possible weather, the Hiddink factor and the artificle pitch.

Nightmare draw imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

I hate Dunphy. His the biggest idiot on tv imo. Half the things he says are only to draw attention to himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

I propose Terry Venables just to piss off Dunphy :) Or maybe even Big Ron, everyone deserves a second chance afterall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Trap's contract was just extended. He isn't going anywhere no matter whether we qualify or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

IBTL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I propose Terry Venables just to piss off Dunphy :)

I say install Venables now! Think how many more people that'd annoy! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

event wrote: »
    IBTL
    WTJIYMP

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I say install Venables now! Think how many more people that'd annoy! :pac:

Tel would do a better job than trap. Tels got enthusiasm and age on his side (compared to Trap at least). Plus hes fluent in english :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

I propose Terry Venables, just cause it will piss off Dunphy :) Or even Big Ron, everyone deserves a second chance afterall.

Even though Trapattoni is staying on for another two years no matter what happens, I wouldn't say it's exactly prudent to be going looking for a new manager everytime we don't qualify for a major finals especially when Trapattoni is one of the best managers around it seems and what alternatives would really be better? I loved Stephen Hunt's outburst against Dunphy, finally some players speaking their mind no matter how inflammatory their opinions might be. Dunphy not agreeing with the players, the players hating Dunphy and Trapattoni not picking players seemingly because they don't fit his system; those were all hallmarks of the Jack era were they not? Maybe we're going back that way. Bring it on I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

No-one, he's done a great job with a very limited set of players and a country of people willing to moan about anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Silly topic.

McCarthy got 3 shots at the playoffs, why would Trap only get one?

I do hope he would be on slightly less money if we don't qualify but thats probably a given.

Trap's contract was just extended. He isn't going anywhere no matter whether we qualify or not.

Yes but we can always buy him out or sack him for failing to achieve objectives set (ie to qualify)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The FAI couldn't afford another managment PR disaster

oh yeah In before lock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Trilla wrote: »
    WTJIYMP

ye lost me

Trap has been doing brilliant so far.

Any talk of replacing is ****ing idiotic in the extreme.

noodler wrote: »
    Silly topic.

McCarthy got 3 shots at the playoffs, why would Trap only get one?

I do hope he would be on slightly less money if we don't qualify but thats probably a given.

If Ireland don't qualify for the WC what would be the point in keeping him. If somethings broke you fix it.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Trap has been doing brilliant so far.

Will you still be saying the same thing if we don't qualify though?

If Ireland don't qualify for the WC what would be the point in keeping him. If somethings broke you fix it.

if Ireland don't qualify for the world cup (we've qualified for 3 in our history), the problem is not with our manager who is one of the most respected & succesful managers of all time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement