Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Teamtalk/Gossip/Media Stories/ Discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Did anyone send off their ticket stubs from the montenegro game to the FAI? And if so, have you heard back from them yet?

Cheers

LD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

What way does it work buying a ticket over there? Can they screw you out of it at the gate cause your name is not on the ticket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    What way does it work buying a ticket over there? Can they screw you out of it at the gate cause your name is not on the ticket?

Don't quote me on this but that whole name matching thing is nonsense.
    I've never seen it being a problem.

Yeah must be there is 100s of tickets up on ebay already!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Sam Allardye blows his top at Trappatoni according to this story from RTE.
    manager Sam Allardyce has angrily demanded an apology from Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni after labelling the Italian's comments about Steven Reid 'disgusting'.

Reid, 28, has made just two Carling Cup appearances in nearly a year after sustaining a serious knee injury and saw his first-team comeback hindered recently with a niggling Achilles tendon complaint.

When asked about the player, Trapattoni cast doubt on whether he would ever be able to return to his best, saying a full recovery would be 'very, very difficult', something which Reid himself declared his surprise at.

Allardyce, though, pulled no punches with his response on the matter, demanding action from both the FAI and Trapattoni himself.

'It's disgraceful, completely out of order,' said the Rovers boss, whose side face Chelsea in tomorrow's late kick-off.

'He's not talking correctly in terms of Steven's injury. What he is saying is completely untrue and something he should apologise for.

'He has undermined us as a football club, undermined Steven as a player and he has really been very, very naughty in what he has said.

'He should make a public apology and hopefully that will be the end of it. Steven has had a long haul and he's trying to resurrect his career and secure a new contract. He also wants to go and play for his country as he has done many, many times and given his all on every occasion.

'There's no player more honest than Steven and to be dealt that sort of a blow at this stage, when he's not feeling the best, trying to come back from a big injury and picking up another little niggle, is very, very disrespectful to say the least. It's disgusting.'

For his own part, former Millwall player Reid confessed to be being 'amazed' at Trapattoni's diagnosis, but insisted he was desperate to play for the veteran coach in the World Cup qualifying play-off against France next month.

Allardyce commended his man for tact but insisted he would not let the matter lie.

'That's the mark of Steven for you,' he continued. 'Perhaps I haven't got the same dignity as Steven. Perhaps I just speak it as I see it. Perhaps he's more sensible than me. But I'm not happy with what Trapattoni said, I'm disgusted with it.

'I think his association should bring him to task. I think we as a football club should bring him to task and make him justify what he has said, but the thing is he can't.

'I've never spoken to him and after what he's said I don't want to. Steven's had a very difficult time and the last thing he needed was to sit down and read his international manager trying to write him off.'
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1023/reids.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i need to see what Trap fully said, because from that, it doesn't sound like he said a lot wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

stovelid wrote: »
    If people are not satisfied with a 10% away allocation, I trust they will also support an away allocation far in excess of that for the French when they come here?

If they had given us a better allocation then yes but because they haven't then no!

SlickRic wrote: »
    i need to see what Trap fully said, because from that, it doesn't sound like he said a lot wrong.
    Maybe Im wrong but Trap does normally be praising Stephen Reid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

my god i hate Sam Allardye with all my might

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Home tickets all sold out in three hours today. So unless you're friends with one of the 20,000 corporate luvvies that hold the remaining allocation you're bang out of luck.

Anyone see Trap at Spurs v stoke match today!!! Keane and delap where on from the start then he got a good luck at Whelan to!!

sugarman wrote: »
    Yeah himself, Tardelli and Capello where all sitting beside each other. Keane and Delap did'nt preform today and he was gone after half-time so was'nt around for whealan. Rumor has it he went to the Blackburn v Chelsea match from there.

Imo, he would have been better off going to see Sunderland V Birmingham to check out Carsley, Carr and Reid with Fahey out injured and O'Shea not making an apperance.

Yeah but you know yourself the Andy Reid situation!! We need a strong mid-field for this play off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭podge018

are people actually excited that our national manager went to look at some of our players. Shocking stuff really.

I would love to see the two reid in the squad for the play offs!! Whats the story on Finnan?

sugarman wrote: »
    +1, i think Finnans just fallen out of favor since he got injured and he pushed JOS to RB and throwing St.Ledger in CB. Would much prefer to see Finnan RB and put JOS LB getting rid of the liability that is Kilbane.

He wont drop Kilbane !! After the last game it would not suprise me If he plays O Shea in the midfield :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought it was a very strange choice of match for the two of them to go to. I was pleased to hear Setanta picking up on this earlier. Lawrence wasn't likely to feature and he knows all about Keane and Whelan so what was the point?

Why not check out Hull vs Pompey for example where they can check up on Hunt and decide if he's playing well enough for a starting role iin the play-offs. Not to mention McShane and Finnan both in action with the latter looking like he's made a big difference to Portsmouth's stability at the back.

As sugarman said there was also the option of Birmingham vs Sunderland where they can check out Stephen Carr at right-back as well as a certain Sunderland player who remains a useful option.

Just didn't make sense in my opinion.
    sugarman wrote:
    Rumor has it he went to the Blackburn v Chelsea match from there.

The two of them must be planning to jump Big Sam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

He wont drop Kilbane !!

Mores the pity.

Any suggestions on this? Midfield is where we need help the most?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Any suggestions on this? Midfield is where we need help the most?

Ideally I'd like to see Carsley given a call-up. Andy Reid obviously. Can't see either happening though.

I feel there's a big concern at left-back with Kilbane. I'd prefer O'Shea there with Finnan or Carr coming in at right-back. Foley would be an option too but I'd rather someone with experience there. Again I don't see this happening however.

I reckon he will stick with the players he's had for most of the campaign.

Ideally I'd like to see Carsley given a call-up. Andy Reid obviously. Can't see either happening though.

I feel there's a big concern at left-back with Kilbane. I'd prefer O'Shea there with Finnan or Carr coming in at right-back. Foley would be an option too but I'd rather someone with experience there. Again I don't see this happening however.

I reckon he will stick with the players he's had for most of the campaign.

Yeah the only two that might get a look in are Finnan and S.Reid maybe

• Advertisement

Rte.ie
    The kick off times for the FIFA World Cup Play off between the Republic of Ireland and France on 14 and 18 November have been confirmed.
    The Republic of Ireland will play France in Croke Park at 8pm on Saturday 14 November and will travel to Paris for the away leg which kicks off at 9pm local time (8pm Irish time) on Wednesday 18 November.
    The FAI have been given 8,000 tickets for the crucial second leg clash in France but are believed to be seeking more from their French counterparts...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Just been reading a Stoke messageboard and they all think Delap is woeful, and his throws are becoming more and more ineffective, and they're annoyed that he starts at the expence of Whelan (whom they consider their best CM).

As a Sunderland fan I watched them on Saturday. Andy Reid like the rest of the team was poor for the first hour. Then he created the 3 best chances of the game - a free kick that made the goal and two other wonderful chances that went unconverted. Andy was the best of a bad bunch really. He's having a smashing start to the season.

In fairness I would rate Whelan better then Delap but I wouldnt say delap is as bad as they make him out to be!!! Agreed Andy Reid played well the weekend he could do wonders for us if he got back in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Chopper888

In fairness I would rate Whelan better then Delap but I wouldnt say delap is as bad as they make him out to be!!! Agreed Andy Reid played well the weekend he could do wonders for us if he got back in!!

Have to agree with you about Andy Reid, he would add an attacking dimension to our midfield and a calmness which is badly missing with Glenn Whelan and Keith Andrews. With regard to Rory Delap, I think he would be worth having in the squad as if we were in need of a goal in the last 10 minutes, he would be worth a try with his long throws .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Stephen Reid starting for Blackburn and hhas scored a peno.

This is Massive news for us and our chances vs. France.

Reid-Whelan/Andrews is a huge difference and Leets hope to fcuk he stays fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

only1stevo wrote: »

Steven Reid has only played in the Carling Cup this year, Given Allardyce's reaction to Trap's comments i think he will be withdrawn from any Ireland squad he is named in (just my thoughts) - putting that aside....

Naming Reid in the starting line up, a player who has played 120 mins, plus whatever he plays tonight is just idiotic, As much as people don't rate Whelan and Andrews, or rate Reid above them - it should not happen.

Just to add, he slipped taking the peno and miskicked it in, and given the outbreak of Swine Flu at Blackburn, i'm surprised a man of his nature is not one of the infected :)

Would love to see the highlights of that blackburn match!!! He should be starting every game for blackburn now with some there players out with the swine flu!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Steven Reid has only played in the Carling Cup this year, Given Allardyce's reaction to Trap's comments i think he will be withdrawn from any Ireland squad he is named in (just my thoughts) - putting that aside....

Naming Reid in the starting line up, a player who has played 120 mins, plus whatever he plays tonight is just idiotic, As much as people don't rate Whelan and Andrews, or rate Reid above them - it should not happen.

Just to add, he slipped taking the peno and miskicked it in, and given the outbreak of Swine Flu at Blackburn, i'm surprised a man of his nature is not one of the infected :)

If hes escaped the flu then maybe he'll start the next two prem matches....
    In fairness i think 3 weeks full training will do him well too. International football is nowhere near the pace of the premiership so you never know...

Big shout, admittedly, but while fit he was a far superior player to Whelan and Andrews.

Agreed But with Reid Fit who do you play with him?

If hes escaped the flu then maybe he'll start the next two prem matches....
    In fairness i think 3 weeks full training will do him well too. International football is nowhere near the pace of the premiership so you never know...

Big shout, admittedly, but while fit he was a far superior player to Whelan and Andrews.

I'm not sure about him starting the next 2 premiership matches. The only confirmed players with it are Dunn and Samba - Reid cannot play in any of their positions.

There is one other player apparantly infected, but regardless of that Blackburn still have Andrews, Nzonzi and Emerton fit who play in or can play in the centre.

I don't think Reid will be played against Man Utd, as he was not even given time when down so much at Chelsea where he was on the bench.

The pace of International v Premiership can be debated, but they are not games, or an occasion that would suit bringing back Steven Reid, who will not be match fit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Agreed But with Reid Fit who do you play with him?

I'd have Reid and Whelan like in the Georgia game. They complement each other well. Whelan is a better passer of the ball than Andrews so I'd much rather he started.

Whelan is very underrated in Ireland I think. He is capable of more than his current role allows. Seeing him play for Sheff Wednesday, albeit at a lower level admittedly, highlights he has potential for greater things. Not saying he will morph into Liam Brady if he was let loose, just that in Traps system, his scope for creativity and shooting is limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Reid was taken off again tonight

hope god not another injury:rolleyes:

Andy Reid just missed a peno there in the carling cup shoot out against Villa

Reid was taken off again tonight

hope god not another injury:rolleyes:

Nope, just fitness, he can only last an hour or so at the moment,

thats 60 - 70 mins in 3 league cup games this season, as i keep saying not enough to be considered for the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Given Allardyce's reaction to Trap's comments i think he will be withdrawn from any Ireland squad he is named in (just my thoughts)
    Aldardyce has no power to withdraw him from the national squad. And he's hardly likely to withdraw himself, if he's named, since he wants to play for Ireland and this is a chance of playing in the world cup.
    Naming Reid in the starting line up, a player who has played 120 mins, plus whatever he plays tonight is just idiotic,
    The playoffs aren't tomorrow you know.
    There are two (i think it's two) more club games to go before the playoffs. There's no point in ruling him out at this stage. It's still possible, although unlikely, that he'll do enough between now and then to get a place ahead of Whealan/Andrews.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Aldardyce has no power to withdraw him from the national squad. And he's hardly likely to withdraw himself, if he's named, since he wants to play for Ireland and this is a chance of playing in the world cup.

The playoffs aren't tomorrow you know.
    There are two (i think it's two) more club games to go before the playoffs. There's no point in ruling him out at this stage. It's still possible, although unlikely, that he'll do enough between now and then to get a place ahead of Whealan/Andrews.

Allardyce has no power i know that, but Reid is looking for a new contract. He has gone off on International duty before and seriously injured himself. This will be in the back of his mind. He has come out and said he wants to play - there is only one player at the moment who doesn't want to play for Ireland.

I know there is time between now and then, but as i've already said. He has played 3 League Cup games, between 60-70 mins in each. He has not been on the bench for many League games and when he has, he has not been used. The next game is away to Man Utd - and i don't think he will get a look in, there is no point in risking him.

As a Blackburn fan, i'd like to see him protected a bit more, not used in the playoff's, Ireland can qualify without him, then hopefully he has a season of working himself back to full fitness carefully before a World Cup next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Just been reading a Stoke messageboard and they all think Delap is woeful, and his throws are becoming more and more ineffective, and they're annoyed that he starts at the expence of Whelan (whom they consider their best CM).

People who post on footie messageboards usually don't have a clue.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Great to see Reid scoring for Blackburn last night. Hopefully he'll be called up now. We badly need him.

Allardyce has no power i know that, but Reid is looking for a new contract. He has gone off on International duty before and seriously injured himself. This will be in the back of his mind. He has come out and said he wants to play
    Well i'm presuming that he's a man of his word. And since he has said that he is trying to be ready in time for the playoffs i doubt he will withdraw himself, if he's named in the squad, simply because he wants a new club contract.
    As a Blackburn fan, i'd like to see him protected a bit more, not used in the playoff's, Ireland can qualify without him, then hopefully he has a season of working himself back to full fitness carefully before a World Cup next summer.

Right, so you want to protect him for his use to Blackburn as much as to Ireland (perfectly understandable). I'm more concerned about his use to Ireland. If we do get to the world cup, he's just as likely to be injured after his season playing in the premier league, no matter how careful he is. Saying that Ireland can qualify without him is irrelevent. We obviously need all the help we can get.

You don't think he'll get much, if any, game time before the playoffs, I agree. However, IF he did and he showed some form, then he would be very much worth considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I was just about to say, Reid looks the type to play if he feels he is fit enough. Can't see Jolly Sam convincing him to pull out if he feels he is okay to play himself.

noodler wrote: »
    I was just about to say, Reid looks the type to play if he feels he is fit enough. Can't see Jolly Sam convincing him to pull out if he feels he is okay to play himself.
    Sam wont have a say your right of course Reid will wanna play he will want his chance to be at the world cup!!! Hope trap at least names him in the squad!!!

Sam wont have a say your right of course Reid will wanna play he will want his chance to be at the world cup!!! Hope trap at least names him in the squad!!!

Of course Sam will have a say, Reid's contract is up next Summer, if he goes off and gets injured in any of these playoff games he is fucked. We'll see what happens in any case, but he will have very little game time before the playoffs for his club, and as i keep saying throwing him in and expecting a huge performance is just not on. A squad place is of little use to player or country if he is not going to be able to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think an S. Reid-Whelan combo is the best we can hope for at the moment. Finnan at left back though is what i really wanna see though, as Kilbane is a little too worriesome or maybe O'Shea at centre back and St ledger out. Which defensive line would be better : Finnan, O'Shea, Dunne, Kilbane or Finnan, St Ledger, Dunne, O'Shea?

briany wrote: »
    Which defensive line would be better : Finnan, O'Shea, Dunne, Kilbane or Finnan, St Ledger, Dunne, O'Shea?
    Kilbane should be the one dropped if Finnan returns imo. I'd be really happy with that back 5 then.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Kilbane should be the one dropped if Finnan returns imo. I'd be really happy with that back 5 then.

Mine would have to Be finnan dunne st ledger o shea!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

briany wrote: »
    Finnan, O'Shea, Dunne, Kilbane or Finnan, St Ledger, Dunne, O'Shea?

I'd have to go that one. I'm still not convinced of St Ledger.

I'd rather go with experience, especially against the French.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A back line of Finnan, Dunne, O'Shea & Kilbane would definitely be preferred. I'd be surprised if Finnan doesn't get called up to the next squad. Trap never shut up talking about him when he first took over.

And I don't know how much of an influence he's been since his first 3 games for Portsmouth but they've won 1, drawn 1 and lost the other. Considering they've lost every game up until his first game, that's not bad. Plus he's got an assist for his troubles too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

What dates are the playoff's?

14th and 18th Novmeber!!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1028/mccarthym_wexford.html
    Mick McCarthy believes the Republic of Ireland have a great chance to progress to the World Cup ahead of the World Cup play-off with France next month.
    Ireland take on France on 14 November in Croke Park, before travelling to Paris four days later for the second leg.
    'I looked at the fixtures and I have to be honest - I'd sooner be going to France in the second leg than going to Portugal, Russia or Greece,' McCarthy admitted.

'If they can keep a clean sheet in Ireland I'd be happier going to France than going to Greece with the atmosphere there, or Russia, possibly playing on a plastic pitch, or Portugal, who I've seen playing in the last three games and probably shouldn't have ended up in the play-offs.
    'I wouldn't be so negative about playing France, and they did finish second in the group remember.'

McCarthy was speaking ahead of a trip to Ireland with his current club Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Wolves will play Mick Wallace's Wexford Youths at Ferrycarrig Park on Monday in a friendly game.
    'Ireland has never had an away leg first, not since I can remember. Belgium at home, Belgium away, Turkey at home, Turkey away, Iran at home, Iran away.
    'They don't come much harder than that in the last game - Turkey and Iran away.

'I think they can do it, because they are hard to beat and Trapattoni has got a list of successes as long as my arm and my leg put together.
    'There's every chance they can do it because they've got good players and they'll have the belief.'
    Kevin Doyle will almost certainly start in both play-off games.
    Doyle' summer move from Reading to Wolves was the reason behind the planned friendly and McCarthy is thrilled to be making the trip to Ireland.
    'It was part of our deal to bring Kevin in that we would go over and play a friendly thanks to his association with Mick Wallace, and it is something Kevin particularly wanted to do.

'We are delighted to be able to go over and play this friendly, and it will be the first team squad making the trip for the game.
    'It will be a very special night for Kevin and we're all looking forward to the game.'
    The former Ireland central defender has been quick to praise the League of Ireland after signing Stephen Ward from Bohemians and last month he added young Monaghan United goalkeeper Aaron McCarey to the Wolves squad, though McCarey is finishing the season with Mons.
    'We've had some good success with bringing players in from Ireland, and it's always important to give something back to the clubs that have helped produce these players,' said McCarthy.

'Although we bought Kevin in from Reading he was a player who initially made his name in the League of Ireland and also played underage for Wexford.
    'It may be a long way down the line in Kevin's career since he played for Wexford and indeed in the League of Ireland, but their part in his development was very important.'

• Advertisement
Advertisement