Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Teamtalk/Gossip/Media Stories/ Discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah I suppose Kilbane won't be dropped and I doubt O'Shea will move to the center considering he's been rock solid at right back. I don't know if Finnan/Kilbane on the wings is as safe as O'Shea/Kilbane anyway and It seems as though the oppositions's goal scoring opportunities come down the wings anyway cause that's where they sense weakness I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

briany wrote: »
    Yeah I suppose Kilbane won't be dropped and I doubt O'Shea will move to the center considering he's been rock solid at right back. I don't know if Finnan/Kilbane on the wings is as safe as O'Shea/Kilbane anyway and It seems as though the oppositions's goal scoring opportunities come down the wings anyway cause that's where they sense weakness I reckon.

As I said you never know with Trap he could start O Shea in the midfield :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    As I said you never know with Trap he could start O Shea in the midfield :eek:

That's definitely a possibility. And no need for the :eek:, JOS is :cool:

Pro. F wrote: »
    That's definitely a possibility. And no need for the :eek:, JOS is :cool:
    No im a big fan of JOS!!! The :eek: was if he starts him in the midfield:eek:

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    No im a big fan of JOS!!! The :eek: was if he starts him in the midfield:eek:

Well one of the adjectives that is often used to describe Trapattoni is "consistant" in his squad choice, tactics and playing positions. To think that he would start John O'Shea in midfield is a bit laughable at this stage and for a game like this. Besides, I was not really impressed by his midfield excursion last time out but that's just me. Definately hoping for Whelan/S Reid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Noel Hunt is out. Not a big loss thankfully.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1029/huntn.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

I hope it is a Whelan-Reid pairing in central midfield as Andrews is quite simply crap. He can't hold the ball, and his tackling ain't great. The great thing about Reid is that he can pick out great passes to the forwards and wings and he holds the ball....something that some of the Irish players will need to do against France. Hold the ball and pick out passes! We can't be holing back against France, we will get done for been too far back in our own area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Dancor wrote: »

Just hope this is only injury scare we get

when i first saw headline taught it was his brother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'd say no loss.

Yep, no real loss here. Lets just hope between now and the first leg, thats the only injury scare...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Not a big deal at all. I personally think he shouldn't even be in the squad any way. It's strange as the game draw closer and closer I find myself becoming more and more confident Ireland can beat these guys. I didn't think they had a hope when the draw was first made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I hope it is a Whelan-Reid pairing in central midfield as Andrews is quite simply crap. He can't hold the ball, and his tackling ain't great. The great thing about Reid is that he can pick out great passes to the forwards and wings and he holds the ball....something that some of the Irish players will need to do against France. Hold the ball and pick out passes! We can't be holing back against France, we will get done for been too far back in our own area

Would freaking love S. Reid to get into that team. If he isn't called up to the squad it will be a travesty. Don't think he will make the starting line up which is a shame. Trap will choose someone who will work their socks off and run miles and Reid may not have that kind of fitness under his belt by then. On the bright side he would make an awesome impact sub. Could see him making a defence splitting pass to send Robbie Keane in for a goal in the 90th minute:D. Trap has not been too kind to him in his comments about his injuries in the media though. Maybe he just doesn't like anyone with the Reid surname!!

There is always hope with the Irish team. :) We have a much better squad and manager now than we had the last time we played France under Steve Staunton. Also back then France were a better team. The only thing we need to worry about France is their star players up front like Henry. If the likes of those are up for both game, we could be in a spot of bother, BUT we have a good advantage when it comes to set pieces like frees and especially corners. The French defenders arn't great when it comes to defending those sort of situations :D

My heart sunk when I half heard that on the radio because I just heard Hunt and Injury and assumed it was Stephen!! Good that Noel is out if you ask me. Don't want him getting near the pitch.

magma69 wrote: »
    Would freaking love S. Reid to get into that team. If he isn't called up to the squad it will be a travesty. Don't think he will make the starting line up which is a shame. Trap will choose someone who will work their socks off and run miles and Reid may not have that kind of fitness under his belt by then. On the bright side he would make an awesome impact sub. Could see him making a defence splitting pass to send Robbie Keane in for a goal in the 90th minute:D. Trap has not been too kind to him in his comments about his injuries in the media though. Maybe he just doesn't like anyone with the Reid surname!!

Yep, it would be a travesty. I do agree Trap will probably use him in the first leg as an impact sub, and then hopefully use him for the whole game in Paris if his fitness from the previous game is anything to go by. Haha yeah it must be the name Reid that makes Trap cringe! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

S Reid will be a huge huge huge addition to the squad. Trap hasn't shown he isn't interested in S. Reid, and S. Reid does the hard work required in midfield as well as putting his foot on the ball.

Let's hope he can get fit in time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

PHB wrote: »

It'll be a miracle if he's fit enough to start by then. He's been out too long really, it'll be after Christmas I think before he'll be able to return to his previous levels.

It'll be a miracle if he's fit enough to start by then. He's been out too long really, it'll be after Christmas I think before he'll be able to return to his previous levels.

Well even if he can play at all I'd take him. The opinion of this board seems to be Reid at fifty percent still smokes andrews....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'd take a 1/4 fit S Reid over any of the donkeys we've been playing in there recently TBH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Haven't being paying attention to football news lately lads, a mate mentioned something about Ribery being injured? Is this true?

Archimedes wrote: »
    Haven't being paying attention to football news lately lads, a mate mentioned something about Ribery being injured? Is this true?
    Yeah this is true I think he might not be back till after christmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

I see Noel Hunt has been ruled out of the play off games. That's it. It's all over. I'm tearing up my match tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

I really dont understand this. He started a match on Tuesday, surely it cant take till after Christmas to get fully fit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

PHB wrote: »
    S Reid will be a huge huge huge addition to the squad. Trap hasn't shown he isn't interested in S. Reid, and S. Reid does the hard work required in midfield as well as putting his foot on the ball.

I agree and the type of player we need who will help out the defence and attack. I just hope he gets a good run of games between now and the play-offs and stays injury free as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

only1stevo wrote: »
    I really dont understand this. He started a match on Tuesday, surely it cant take till after Christmas to get fully fit?

It was the League Cup against Peterborough, he has previosuly played about an hour against Notts Forest and Gillingham. He has not played a minute in the Premiership yet this season and is unlikely to before the playoff's. I don't know about anyone else, but it's not the type of fitness program i'd have a player on before such a huge event.

• Advertisement

On the back of the Herald it said "Hunt is out". They should have said "Bad Hunt is out". They were trying to make a big deal over it as having no back up striker but I'd take moving Duff up front w/Lawrence and McGeady on the wings anyday over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

On the back of the Herald it said "Hunt is out". They should have said "Bad Hunt is out". They were trying to make a big deal over it as having no back up striker but I'd take moving Duff up front w/Lawrence and McGeady on the wings anyday over him.

If he is the only injury (fngers crossed touching wood as i speak) that we have then I be very happy.

Think there better players then him out there although he does give it his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

It was the League Cup against Peterborough, he has previosuly played about an hour against Notts Forest and Gillingham. He has not played a minute in the Premiership yet this season and is unlikely to before the playoff's. I don't know about anyone else, but it's not the type of fitness program i'd have a player on before such a huge event.

Well i really dont think itll be till after christmas.. Id say he might be 4 weeks off being fully fit for playoffs, involving a mixture of first team and reserve action, which is a damn pity!

only1stevo wrote: »
    Well i really dont think itll be till after christmas.. Id say he might be 4 weeks off being fully fit for playoffs, involving a mixture of first team and reserve action, which is a damn pity!

Who knows what goes through Traps head!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

On the news earlier it had Noel hunt is out aswell as Caleb Folan and Leon Best have knocks.I had a look,Best did have a knock but looks likely to play for Covvie this weekend.Bring back Clinton I say!

• Advertisement

Trap is to name the squad at 3 bells today!!! Fingers crossed lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Woohoo, i'm a going to the playoff!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Kiith wrote: »
    Woohoo, i'm a going to the playoff!!

Are you Stephen Hunt?

I heard that the French FA are running scared of the Irish support and are only giving them the obligated 10 percent. I've also heard that there's little junkets being made to France to buy extra tickets in the shops over there since they put restrictions on buying them on the internet and over the phone. Really makes you wonder. It's like all the stops are being put out to stop Ireland from qualifying.

It's like all the stops are being put out to stop Ireland from qualifying.

No, its like they're pulling all the stops to prevent a large Irish contingent in the crowd in Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I was just listening to the Newstalk sports headlines. The presenter said that Stephen Ireland and Clinton Morrison are expected to be in the squad!
    Glad to have Clint back but I presume the other was a Freudian slip and he meant Reid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I reckon S. Reid will be picked and Clint is gonna miss out unfortunately.

No, its like they're pulling all the stops to prevent a large Irish contingent in the crowd in Paris.

Yes but you know how the big travelling contingent helps Ireland, or at least it's supposed.Anyway I was referring to the seeding decisions as well, not just the French FA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I don't think there'll be anywhere near the amount of people travelling to Paris this time compared to the last time we played them there.

Three main reasons are, 1. It's a midweek game this time, 2. It's a playoff so there was very little notice to organise things, and 3. The state of the economy.

Plus the French ain't helping with the restrictions on tickets, although you can't really blame them for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Really hope Morrison is back in, his work rate has always been immense and he has a great record for Ireland.

• Advertisement

No Steven Reid (as i hoped) no Andy Reid, and no Clinton Morrison or Steve Finnan

Seems the French are more worried about our assisstant manager rather than our players.

TARDELLI vs. DOMENECH The grudge match!!! This time it's personal!
    ANY FRENCH person who missed the draw for the World Cup play-off and tuned in to the radio chat shows afterwards may have been momentarily confused. The talk was not focusing on Shay Given, Damien Duff or Robbie Keane, nor on the Republic of Ireland’s notorious fighting spirit, but rather on an Italian jinx that has plagued Les Bleus and, in particular, coach Raymond Domenech for years.

The presence of Giovanni Trapattoni and his assistant, Marco Tardelli, appears to be worrying the French more than any of Ireland’s players.

“Ireland have a lot of qualities but perhaps their biggest strength is Trapattoni,” ex-France and Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier commented. “He’s a wonderful tactician.”

This week, France Football magazine dedicated its first four pages to Ireland’s Italian influence, heaping praise on Trapattoni. “By imposing rigour and discipline, the Italian technician has brought pride and coherence back to an Ireland team that no longer loses,” wrote journalist Thierry Marchand.

No wonder Domenech has been anxious to keep the Trapattoni effect in perspective: “It’s nice for Ireland they’ve found a good coach. But he’s not going to be on the pitch,” he pointed out.

Italian trainers and teams have been hampering Domenech throughout a 24-year coaching career in which he is yet to lift a major trophy. During his 13 seasons with the France under-21s, Domenech’s best chance of silverware came arguably in the late 1990s when he possessed an exceptional team that included the talents of Thierry Henry, Nicolas Anelka and William Gallas. They failed to reach the Sydney Olympics, however, losing 3-2 on aggregate to Tardelli’s Italy in a decisive qualifier in November 1999.

That result still grates with Domenech to the extent he brought the subject up when his seniors played Italy in 2007, accusing his opponents of bribing the referee eight years previously.

“I have experienced a France-Italy game with a bought referee,” he claimed. “When it happens to you once, you worry it might happen again.”

Understandably upset, Tardelli dismissed those comments as “the mindless words of a loser”.

Although the former Juventus midfielder has promised there will be no squabbling in the coming weeks, he could not resist one barb to the French press, telling L’Equipe he would not be approaching Domenech for a handshake in Dublin.

“I’m Trapattoni’s assistant, it’s the two coaches that must shake hands,” Tardelli said. “It’s up to Domenech to come and shake Trapattoni’s hand.”

The biggest disappointment of Domenech’s career arrived in Berlin on July 9th, 2006, when France reached the World Cup final only to lose on penalties to the Azzurri. Again the 57-year-old refused to accept the defeat, accusing the officials of using video technology without having the authority to do so in order to see Zinedine Zidane’s head-butt on Marco Materazzi.

When the nations met again in Euro 2008 qualification, the former Lyon boss harped back to the Materazzi incident. “In a World Cup final, he scored a goal, he got the opponents’ best player sent off, then he scored his penalty,” said Domenech. “Say what you like about (Andrea) Pirlo, Materazzi was my man of the match.”

Domenech got the better of his transalpine rivals in those qualifiers, winning 3-1 in Paris before drawing in Milan.

However, Roberto Donadoni’s men prevailed when it mattered, seeing off a beleaguered French team 2-0 in Zurich in the finals as they delivered the fatal blow to their rivals’ campaign.

Domenech must have breathed a sigh of relief when he saw France’s most recent World Cup qualifying group, but he knows the Italian ghost may yet return to haunt him in the coming play-off.

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

MOG7 wrote: »

Anthony Stokes makes an appearance though :D we are saved

or Finnan :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I'm really disappointed that Steven Reid and Steve Finnan have not been included. It seems that public spat Trapattoni had with Allardyce may of had a bearing against his decision to not pick Steven Reid?

I was a fan of Trapattoni at the start but i'm starting to change my mind based on what i think are some crazy decisions now. I'm more disappointed that two players above have not been included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Proof if ever there was proof that Trap is as stubborn as a mule.

No Stephen Reid because of what Trap said about his recovery from Injury - seems like he's sticking by that even though Reid says he has no ill-effects

Thats a potential Irish midfield of:

Reid ---Ireland---Reid---McGeady/Duff

With 3 of them now out in the cold!!

Oh my god, no Finnan, no S Reid, I honest to god hope he knows what he's doing!:mad:

Sky Sports news to have Trap coverage soon, expected to say why he has left them out.

With Steven Reid though it is a fitness issue, he is simply not ready, its not being stubborn.

Just watched it and as i expected he has said he has not got enough game time. As i've kept saying it would be stupid to play Steven Reid and there is no point having him in the squad.

He has also said there is no time to change the team now. Maybe after the playoff's.

• Advertisement

The more I see Trap's squads, the more annoyed I get.

He leaves out quality, seasoned pro's, and expects us to qualify with (no disrespect to the lads) below prem quality players in important positions.

Advertisement