Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Teamtalk/Gossip/Media Stories/ Discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Imagine if Trapper Tony falls out with someone like Shay Given, Richard Dunne, or Robbie Keane next. :eek: He can feel free to have a disagreement with Kilbane mind. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Christ sake, how are we expected to topple France if we're not even giving ourselves the best possible chance by picking our best team. With all due respect to Stokes, he won't be anywhere near the team and I'd rather have Steven Reid on the bench than Stokes, at least it's a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

I'm raging with his stubborness. This doesn't bode well for Irish football. First off I'll refer back to a post of mine pre-play off draw:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62486692&postcount=84

I think France will just about nick the tie over two legs. Then the boo boys (myself included but only cos I'm not happy with Trapps messing) will start to make louder noises and the cracks will become even more apparent. Then come the next qualifying campaign Trapp will still be omitting some of our best players and more people will turn against him. We will do even worse next time around cos let's face it he has got very lucky on a number of occasions with that rubbish team he's fielding and I doubt the same passion will be there if things aren't going well. Then when the results go against us Trapp will leave and we'll be back where we started.

I would love to be proven wrong and for us to beat France. Yes it's possible but I really believe there is a horrible air of predictability about the whole thing. If I am wrong I'll be the first to eat my words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I'm honestly gutted that he has left out Andy Reid again, Stephen it's fitness/game time fair enough. I see where he is coming from with not wanting to change the team but he has players in there who are just not up to standard and were playing FRANCE who is full of quality players, we simply need our best players end of. I honestly cannot see that side beating France over two legs and i'm really dissapointed.

Also not opening up the Stephen Ireland can of worms again, but honestly if I was playing for Ireland and in his position had a falling out etc, manager stubburn i'm stubburn and then see how close we are to the world cup and what team we have to beat I would just ****ing man up, especially if I knew I was a key player and could genuinely help my country achieve something, the Irish people need this lift right now.

"Hi Trappo, Look I know we haven't been seeing eye to eye but I WANT to play against France and help us get through"

****s sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Goalkeepers
    Shay Given, Kieren Westwood, Joe Murphy

Defenders
    John O'Shea, Richard Dunne, Stephen Kelly, Kevin Kilbane, Eddie Nolan, Sean St Ledger, Paul McShane, Darren O'Dea

Midfielders
    Aiden McGeady, Damien Duff, Darron Gibson, Glenn Whelan, Keith Andrews, Liam Miller, Stephen Hunt, Andy Keogh, Liam Lawrence

Forwards
    Kevin Doyle, Robbie Keane, Shane Long, Leon Best, Anthony Stokes

Thats the squad, taken from rte.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

shooting-yourself-in-the-foot.jpg

That squad selection is mind-boggling.

Stokes over Morrisson? Wha? No Lee Carsley or Steven Reid but we have got the mammoth presence of Liam Miller in there. No Steve Finnan or Stephen Carr but not to worry, Eddie Nolan will have Henry in his pocket, right? Just farcical stuff and the fact Andy Reid continnues to miss out despite his form is indefensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

This squad selection makes no sense at all. How the hell can he leave out Finnan who has played really well for Portsmouth since coming back from injury??
    Steven Reid should be there too as an option from the bench at worst.
    Of course Andy Reid should be there, but that was never going to happen.

And Stokes in ahead of Morrison is just madness.

Trap is a stubborn old git, and he is ruining our chances of getting past the French by making these choices :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I understand some players may not be up to the fitness/match time level required for this important game e.g S.Reid or Finnan but saying the reason he doesnt want to bring in extra players as 'not to upset the team spirit' is crazy. I wish the team all the best, but i personally think he is not giving us the best possible chance to go to world cup.

Prove me wrong trap...ya mad fu*ker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Unbelievable stuff.

Miller
    Best
    Long
    Stokes
    Gibson

None of them should be in the squad ahead of those quality players that have been omitted.

Nice one Trap. If we qualify then it will be a miracle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

No surprises really. He obviously has something against Carsley, Morrison and A.Reid. Finnan and moreso S.Reid are more understandable ommisions IMO due to game time.

He's not a man for substitutions, and when he does, its usually Best for Doyle, and Hunt for McGeady, so its his first choice team available anyway. The ommitted players would have just made up the numbers anyway.

The proof will be in the pudding I suppose. Be great to see us do it, but it really is a long shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Proof if ever there was proof that Trap is as stubborn as a mule.
    briany wrote: »
    Oh my god, no Finnan, no S Reid, I honest to god hope he knows what he's doing!:mad:
    The more I see Trap's squads, the more annoyed I get.

He leaves out quality, seasoned pro's, and expects us to qualify with (no disrespect to the lads) below prem quality players in important positions.
    Cake Man wrote: »
    Christ sake, how are we expected to topple France if we're not even giving ourselves the best possible chance by picking our best team. With all due respect to Stokes, he won't be anywhere near the team and I'd rather have Steven Reid on the bench than Stokes, at least it's a better option.
    I'm raging with his stubborness. This doesn't bode well for Irish football.

Guys, relax, this is the exact same squad that Trap has used to get us to 2nd spot (despite our third seed status) and the playoffs. I wouldn't have believed this if you told me after the last campaign. An now we have numerous things going for us:

- the Trappatonni factor (this can't be overstated at all)
    - a group of players finally playing as a team, and who'll run and run to the very last second
    - the Domenech factor
    - Ribery out injured
    - and by no means least, the inevitable fantastic irish support that'll be at Croker and the Stade.

Sure the squad is technically-deficient and it'd be nice to have S. Reid back playing but he's clearly not fit, and it'd be nice to have A. Reid back as a bench option but clearly there's personal issues there which we're not privvy to. And it'd be really really nice to have Clinton involved (i presume Stokes has been decent for Hibs) but i'm gonna give Trap the benefit of the doubt seeing he got us this far. This playoff tie is win-able with this squad. Just keep faith in Trap and in the team, and fingers crossed that McGeady scores the winner in the 2nd leg for a certain boardsie.

I for one am gonna enjoy the ride :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Not the squad I'd pick but I'll reserve judgement until after the two games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

He is one of those managers that dictates the system, to players rather than allowing players to.
    I'm happy with the results, I'm no so happy with the brand of Football BUT

I will not question a man with more footballing experienc and knowledge in his left testicle than i have in my entire mind.

Forza Ireland
    Forza Trap

In trap i trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Trap knows what he is doning, but i don't, will see after the two games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheJesusWarrant

He should never have been given a new contract before qualification finished. It stinks of the IRFU and eddie o sullivan before the 2007 wc. If he gets us to south africa I'll consider him the greatest manager in history, sadly I fear he's a stubborn old mule and this contest will be over before the 2nd leg.

Vokes wrote: »
    Guys, relax, this is the exact same squad that Trap has used to get us to 2nd spot (despite our third seed status) and the playoffs. I wouldn't have believed this if you told me after the last campaign. An now we have numerous things going for us:

- the Trappatonni factor (this can't be overstated at all)
    - a group of players finally playing as a team, and who'll run and run to the very last second
    - the Domenech factor
    - Ribery out injured
    - and by no means least, the inevitable fantastic irish support that'll be at Croker and the Stade.

Sure the squad is technically-deficient and it'd be nice to have S. Reid back playing but he's clearly not fit, and it'd be nice to have A. Reid back as a bench option but clearly there's personal issues there which we're not privvy to. And it'd be really really nice to have Clinton involved (i presume Stokes has been decent for Hibs) but i'm gonna give Trap the benefit of the doubt seeing he got us this far. This playoff tie is win-able with this squad. Just keep faith in Trap and in the team, and fingers crossed that McGeady scores the winner in the 2nd leg for a certain boardsie.

I for one am gonna enjoy the ride :)

I won't relax. He's picking a daft squad out of pure stubborness and he'll be found out soon enough. The ride will be over soon enough! Mark my words ie everything I've said in previous posts. Why do Irish people always settle for second best? Yes we have done well so far but with the better players we have available who aren't being picked we could be doing even better. It's not as if Trapp has a grand plan with the likes of Nolan, Miller, Andrews, Stokes and Whelan. He's just sticking his two fingers up to his critics at the expense of quality professional players who want to play for our country. Now, in time if I'm wrong call me on it. However, I strongly believe it will be me calling you on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

He should never have been given a new contract before qualification finished. It stinks of the IRFU and eddie o sullivan before the 2007 wc. If he gets us to south africa I'll consider him the greatest manager in history, sadly I fear he's a stubborn old mule and this contest will be over before the 2nd leg.

Yeah the 2007 wc was a right disaster.

If I've learned anything through Trap's campaign it's that he's been blasted time and time again for every could-be bad move; and where are we now? We've qualified for the WC Playoffs with a team that regardless of player pool, were incapable of playing alongside eachother for the best part of 6 years.

And considering it's Trap's judgement calls that had us hold Italy to a draw twice over, I'm not going to start doubting his call-ups now.

I'll leave that until after the playoffs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I won't relax. He's picking a daft squad out of pure stubborness and he'll be found out soon enough. The ride will be over soon enough! Mark my words ie everything I've said in previous posts. Why do Irish people always settle for second best? Yes we have done well so far but with the better players we have available who aren't being picked we could be doing even better. It's not as if Trapp has a grand plan with the likes of Nolan, Miller, Andrews and Whelan. He's just sticking his two fingers up to his critics at the expense of quality professional players who want to play for our country. Now, in time if I'm wrong call me on it. However, I strongly believe it will be me calling you on it.

What will you be calling him on?.. At least someone on here has a bit of belief and he knows its not the end of the world. I'm not happy with some of the selections either but what can we do about it. People in this country just love to complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Unbelievable stuff.
    Stokes

Especially

MOG7 wrote: »
    What will you be calling him on?.. At least someone on here has a bit of belief and he knows its not the end of the world. I'm not happy with some of the selections either but what can we do about it. People in this country just love to complain.

So I shouldn't complain when the manager of my country's team picks a rubbish squad that will be found out soon enough even though he has much better players at his disposal? I think it's a travesty. Yes we have done ok to get second place in the group but it's not as if we fought off a host of world beaters. Bulgaria were our only big threat and they were rubbish. We should have at least came 3rd in the group anyway but we got lucky on a few occasions, did ok against Italy and grinded out a few results. Yes I'm happy with the team's feat seeing as they are so limited but I'm not happy with the manager's decisions and it will be apparent soon enough. The luck can't continue.

Yes it truly is terrible that I love to complain about this...

ps-I'll be calling him on his blind faith. I'm a realist although I still hope for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

I would have liked to have seen S Reid back in the team but he is seriously lacking in game time so it would be a big risk to bring him into what will probably be two very high intensity games.

Trap was never going to make wholesale changes going into the playoffs. It would be risky to alter a system that makes us hard to beat which is the best thing he has brought to the team since he took over.

It all rings of same same with the squad. I don't think people have a right to complain just yet. Trap has gotten us this far. Lets see if he can take us further.

If he doesn't then complain all you want!

Paleface wrote: »
    I would have liked to have seen S Reid back in the team but he is seriously lacking in game time so it would be a big risk to bring him into what will probably be two very high intensity games.

Trap was never going to make wholesale changes going into the playoffs. It would be risky to alter a system that makes us hard to beat which is the best thing he has brought to the team since he took over.

It all rings of same same with the squad. I don't think people have a right to complain just yet. Trap has gotten us this far. Lets see if he can take us further.

If he doesn't then complain all you want!

Fine by me,

And just for the record can I say yet again that I would love to be proven wrong. We'll see. IRELAND!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As a Hibs fan I should be delighted to have two players on Irish side but im amazed that two are in there. Miller will be there till he retires by looks of it.

they were outstanding at weekend against Rangers (if you can see Stokes goal do, cracker) but there really just little short of this level for me

Liked to have seen Clinton in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Just in the door and saw the team :eek:
    I really thought Finnan would have got a look in!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Well as a Hibs fan i am delighted to see both Miller and Stokes in the squad and wish them well,both have improved massively as the season has gone on and there fitness levels improve.Regarding Trapatonni he has got us further than our last two managers and i am happy with that,did not give us a chance of qualifying when the group was drawn now 180 minutes from the finals although its France we have to knock out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Anthony Stokes makes an appearance though :D we are saved

See his goal vs. Rangers??? more of that and we are laughin!!!

only1stevo wrote: »

I did yeah, it was quality, i actually like him as a player, he was never played as a striker for Sunderland when he did rarely play.

I don't think he is quite ready to emulate that for country just yet, but i'm glad he is in the squad, although i would have preferred Morrison to be honest, i feel we owe him at least a squad place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Was some goal alright his control with his chest way he turned around controlled and the finish were all first class.

But I think his attitude has been poor and really should be at a bigger club then Hibs (im Hibs supporter) I mean this reason that Andy Reid is not in team i believe so why treat Stokes different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

He's a bit of a big time charlie so i wouldnt be suprised if he raised his game in training and trap threw him on in Paris. He could be the Alan McLaughlin of the 2009 squad.

• Advertisement

Was some goal alright his control with his chest way he turned around controlled and the finish were all first class.

But I think his attitude has been poor and really should be at a bigger club then Hibs (im Hibs supporter) I mean this reason that Andy Reid is not in team i believe so why treat Stokes different.

It's true that his attitude has to be questioned, but i don't think he has shown any of that in Trap's presence - so maybe he isn't in the same sort of league as Reid in that regard?

I know he went down the wrong track at Sunderland, but to be honest Keane treated him badly, as a player anyways. He was rarely used and when he was it was out wide. Given his age you can understand why he went that way, and also given his age he has plenty of time to improve on and off the field. I'm glad to see him back in Scotland and it's a big step up from Falkirk, i hope he keeps it up for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I am none too pleased with Traps squad selection. It is a disgrace S Reid didn't make it in. I can understand him not wanting to change the first team but he is stupid to leave out one of our best midfielders who could make a big difference if only for the last tens minutes as a sub. Imagine this (very possible) scenario: Ireland are 2-0 down with 75 minutes gone. Ireland have hardly strung 2 passes together throughout the game and Keane and Doyle have had little to no service. It is make or break time for Ireland. Trap looks to the bench and who the f**k has he got? Darren Gibson? Shane Long? Liam Miller? Liam Lawrence? Real match changing players them lot. :confused:. I am not a happy camper. I'm not saying Ireland are going to get trashed but if France do break us down and we need to go for it towards the end we are up **** creek without a paddle. Stupid decision to omit Reid.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

Henry out for the French????

Jimmyboss wrote: »

Are you sure? Where you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dodgey69

Leaving out A Reid altogether is a bit of a joke really, whatever has gone on between the pair of them needs to be sorted. I would also have morrison in the squad instead of Long or Stokes.

Heard it on the Last Word.....

• Advertisement

Heard it on the Last Word.....

I had heard it on an FM104 bulletin earlier today, but have heard nothing since.

.....although he's been selected to play for Barca tomorrow

Andy Reid is one of the most on-form players in the Premier League at present. FFS I despair.

How did some people on boards get this blind faith? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Henry has been injured since France's final qualifying game but he's fully recovered now and as Jimmyboss touched on he looks set to feature for Barca tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Henry has been injured since France's final qualifying game but he's fully recovered now and as Jimmyboss touched on he looks set to feature for Barca tomorrow.

Lets hope he gets injured :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Here's what I think will happen, it will be a nil-all affair in Dublin. France will go close, while Ireland will play valiantly but their only chances will come from set pieces but Ireland will be lucky overall and escape defeat. The away leg will see Ireland go down after around 70 minutes with one of our back four caught out badly, probably Kilbane or St. Ledger losing his man and allowing one of the French forwards to cooly slot it home. Ireland will then go for an equaliser but it will all have that horrible air of inevitability about much like the Swiss game of 2005 where you just can sense they're not gonna get anywhere near the oppo's goal to score the goal that would put them through.

briany wrote: »
    Here's what I think will happen, it will be a nil-all affair in Dublin. France will go close, while Ireland will play valiantly but their only chances will come from set pieces but Ireland will be lucky overall and escape defeat. The away leg will see Ireland go down after around 70 minutes with one of our back four caught out badly, probably Kilbane or St. Ledger losing his man and allowing one of the French forwards to cooly slot it home. Ireland will then go for an equaliser but it will all have that horrible air of inevitability about much like the Swiss game of 2005 where you just can sense they're not gonna get anywhere near the oppo's goal to score the goal that would put them through.

You're just plagiarising my prediction! Check out my previous posts :). I think this kind of result is inevitable myself. I also think losing on penalties could be another horrible but predictable outcome.

PROVE ME WRONG LADS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

forget andy reid, anothony stokes got a call up, so there is no better back up striker than anothony stokes for the play offs i find that laughable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Clinton could score 1000 goals this season and still not get picked. Trap has really ****ed us over by leaving Andy Reid out, along with Finnan.

We really had a good chance of beating the French but now we look to have thrown all the hard work qualifying out the door.

You're just plagiarising my prediction! Check out my previous posts :). I think this kind of result is inevitable myself. I also think losing on penalties could be another horrible but predictable outcome.

PROVE ME WRONG LADS!!!

Lol you cannot plagarise a prediction, if you could, there'd be so much blood spilled in bookies all over the country. It was actually a dream I had that France scored in the closing stages. That said, I also had a previous dream where Ireland beat Switzerland 4-0 in a playoff in the rain though I couldn't find the match on TV and had to watch it on live scores or something. That would be friggin' sweet though, pity they've qualified already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

I'm probably alone in this, but I'm delighted Best was picked. There were injury worries about him and Folan apparently, and the latter didn't make the squad. Best is better with the ball than Folan, by far the better player of the two IMO.

Don't know why people are shocked Andy Reid/Finnan/Morrison weren't called up. He hasn't changed his system/team yet in the campaign, why would he do it now?

I'm probably alone in this, but I'm delighted Best was picked. There were injury worries about him and Folan apparently, and the latter didn't make the squad. Best is better with the ball than Folan, by far the better player of the two IMO.

Don't know why people are shocked Andy Reid/Finnan/Morrison weren't called up. He hasn't changed his system/team yet in the campaign, why would he do it now?

Best and folan are great for the last twenty mins two big lads to annoy the defense I know folan was not picked but when they brought him on in Italy he was running amok against the Italy defense!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I'm worried by Trapp's attitude to Stephen Reid, coming out and saying he's crocked and now leaving him out of this squad. Part of me understands where he is coming from; Reid has had ****all playtime this season and is recovering from an injury, but on the other hand we need every able bodied man we can get. Finnan ditto.

I mean, why not call them up, to atleast have them training with the rest of the lads and if it comes to it, an option as a sub. Well, I guess he knows better than us all.

I was a bit shocked by the line up when I first read it but there's nothing really for it but to trust in what he feels is right as there's not a lot to do otherwise. I doubt he'll log on here and be swayed by our punditry. He's the manager, he's by far the most experienced manager we've ever had and we'll just have to see what happens when the playoffs are finished, whether he's carried down the street shoulder high in celebration or he's carried down the street shoulder high and thrown into an airplane back to Italy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement