Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Teamtalk/Gossip/Media Stories/ Discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

I would seriously worry for ireland.We really cant match the french in any department.The likes of kilbane,st ledger,whelan,andrews are nowhere near the standard needed to beat the french.I say we should just cram our 11 inside our own half for both games ,work our socks off and hope shay has a great game.It will be a long 180+ minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Anthony16 wrote: »
    I would seriously worry for ireland.We really cant match the french in any department.The likes of kilbane,st ledger,whelan,andrews are nowhere near the standard needed to beat the french.I say we should just cram our 11 inside our own half for both games ,work our socks off and hope shay has a great game.It will be a long 180+ minutes

Dont Worry we still have John O Shea!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Anthony16 wrote: »

Trap??? Is that you????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

*Sigh*

Andy scores a free-kick.

Keane and Duff both went off injured today still waiting on news!!
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1031/ireland.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

OH NO!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Maybe he should have announced the squad a week before the game and not left himself open to the ridicule he will get when players drop out and he won't call up players who could actually impact the tie.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

I was watching the Spurs match, Keane looked fine to me when he went off, I didn't even think he was injured tbh.

Hopefully it's nothing major

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

I was watching the Spurs match, Keane looked fine to me when he went off, I didn't even think he was injured tbh.

Hopefully it's nothing major

I was watching it aswell and he hurt himself in a tackle with Gallas. It looked like he fell awkwardly and was limping a bit afterwards but seemed to run it off.

I'd say it was just precautionary that he was taken off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Keane and Duff both went off injured today still waiting on news!!
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1031/ireland.html

Well at least that Andy Reid lad has hit some form recently. Maybe Trap will give him a call if Duff doesn't make it

:rolleyes:

Pro. F wrote: »
    Well at least that Andy Reid lad has hit some form recently. Maybe Trap will give him a call if Duff doesn't make it

:rolleyes:

Maybe he has Clinton on standby now :D

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1101/duffd.html
    Damien Duff is likely to be fit for the Republic of Ireland's World Cup play-off with France according to the winger's club boss Roy Hodgson.
    Fulham manager Hodgson revealed on Saturday that Duff was substituted at half-time in their win over Liverpool because of a troublesome Achilles injury.
    Hodgson is quoted on the BBC Sport website saying: 'It is very hard stopping Damien playing for the Republic of Ireland. You have to lock him in a cage.

'It is an injury he has struggling with for a while, it stems from his Achilles although it's a little bit more complicated than that.
    The Finn confirmed that Duff will play no part in the Europa League game with Roma on Thursday, but that he may be fit for Premier League action next weekend and that if 'he's fit for next Sunday then there's no reason why he shouldn't play for the Republic.'

Well I would worry about Keane being injured because even though some people do moan about him, he scored both winners against Cyprus, both goals at home against Georgia and an equalizer away to Italy. Duff on the other hand his not really been anywhere near as impressive for me and ought to have a real fight on his hands to get into the squad ahead of Lawrence/McGeady/Hunt because I haven't really seen him perform any better than those three and I am beginning to doubt whether he could produce a trademark moment of magic anymore that would warrant his place in the squad over those other three players.

On a related note, if Ireland are to score any goals against France who do you think it would be? I have a sneaking suspicion Doyle could nick one.

To be honest I would put lawerence in ahead of Duff!! I have never been duffs biggest fan!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

:confused:

Probably Ronnie or Ray writing their news stories for an extra few quid ;)

Wonder where rte got that from:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

To be honest I would put lawerence in ahead of Duff!! I have never been duffs biggest fan!!

Hear hear. Duff wouldn't be a huge loss. We are ok in that position with the likes of Lawrence, Hunt and McGeady. Lawrence should be a starter imo. Even though he has only played a couple of games he appears to have the skill, poise and demeanour of an important senior player. He slotted in comfortably and I don't get worried when he's on the ball.

It's Robbie I'm worried about. I hope his injury isn't too bad.

Hear hear. Duff wouldn't be a huge loss. We are ok in that position with the likes of Lawrence, Hunt and McGeady. Lawrence should be a starter imo. Even though he has only played a couple of games he appears to have the skill, poise and demeanour of an important senior player. He slotted in comfortably and I don't get worried when he's on the ball.

The only thing I would be worried about with Lawrence is that he could fall victim to that player honeymoon period that you sometimes see with players coming into the national side whereby they have a couple of good games in the shirt with everyone calling for their automatic inclusion as a result but then they have a performance that doesn't live up to expectation. Still for the Italy games, Lawrence and Mcgeady were electric on the wings for periods of that game. I couldn't understand people decrying McGeady's performance the next day because I saw him dancing past Italian defenders like they hardly even there, he had real endevour going down the wing and it was actually exciting to watch, imagine that at an Ireland game......EXCITEMENT!!:D Ok maybe his final ball wasn't great but he can get the ball down that way and hold it up and make something happen, although to be honest I didn't really see his lack of final ball as I was too busy going "Whoa holy s**t, look at him go! No he's never gonna get past those two.......Oh my god he has!" and then turning to comment as he made his not so great cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Managing Finland doesn't make him Finnish. Really lazy journalism from RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Consistently our best winger this campaign lads and easily one of the best Irish performers overall. I honestly don't know where you guys get those opinions from.

Keane did core both winners against Cyprus but who set them up?

Duff is excellenton the ball, tracks back and has the mot end product of any our wide options.

For the Play Offs its Duff +1 for me.

noodler wrote: »
    Consistently our best winger this campaign lads and easily one of the best Irish performers overall. I honestly don't know where you guys get those opinions from.

Keane did core both winners against Cyprus but who set them up?

Duff is excellenton the ball, tracks back and has the mot end product of any our wide options.

For the Play Offs its Duff +1 for me.

Did I say Duff shouldn't start??? NO.

I said if he is injured then it wouldn't be a terrble loss because there are players to fill that position.

Yes Duff deserves his place on the team and he has been one of the better players in a limited Irish team but let's face it he hasn't been the best over the last few years at club level (actually his form has improved since he has joined Fulham so we'll see). Mourinho and Chelsea chewed him up and spat him out. He just isn't that good anymore.

As for Lawrence, I think he has a shout for staking his claim in the starting 11 before McGeady or if Duff is injured he should be in there. McGeady is such a tidy player but there is never an end result. He can run around the pitch taking it around players all day but it's pointless if there is no end product. Lawrence seems to have that natural confidence that McGeady lacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Did I say Duff shouldn't start??? NO.
    But you said he wouldn't be a great loss. He would be a huge loss for us.

Yes Duff deserves his place on the team and he has been one of the better players in a limited Irish team but let's face it he hasn't been the best over the last few years at club level (actually his form has improved since he has joined Fulham so we'll see).
    His club form means diddly if he's been performing for us, which he has been consistantly.

As for Lawrence, I think he has staked his claim for starting before McGeady or if Duff is injured he should be in there. McGeady is such a tidy player but there is never an end result. He can run around the pitch taking it around players all day but it's pointless if there is no end product. Lawrence seems to have that natural confidence that McGeady lacks.
    I think McGeady just needs a bit more time and he'll come good for us. He just needs to sort out his end product.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    But you said he wouldn't be a great loss. He would be a huge loss for us.

His club form means diddly if he's been performing for us, which he has been consistantly.

I think McGeady just needs a bit more time and he'll come good for us. He just needs to sort out his end product.

I had a feeling someone would say McGeady needs more time. He's had loads of time! Why do people keep saying this a few years into his Irish career?!

You're right in saying that Duff's club form means nowt in relation to this argument. However, people still think he's a great player cos of his brilliance back in his heyday. He isn't anywhere near the player he used to be. But yes he plays well for Ireland so he is naturally one of our best players.

But lastly I really don't think that Duff would be a huge loss. We have Hunt or Lawrence to come in for him. Our best game in the qualifiers was against Italy. Duff wasn't playing then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That's like a broken record at this stage in fairness. Ever since he emerged on to the international scene his final ball has been deplorable. Is it really so hard to work on your crossing?

Duff did set up the goal for the winner in Cyprus this cannot be disputed but he's not what he was unfortunately but he's getting on in football terms and doesn't he have some niggling achilles injury? McGeady can zip down the wings but his final ball is lacking, Duff can deliver a fine final ball but seems to lack the pace and creativity of old....It's like you have the two halves of a perfect winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Paleface wrote: »
    I was watching it aswell and he hurt himself in a tackle with Gallas. It looked like he fell awkwardly and was limping a bit afterwards but seemed to run it off.

I'd say it was just precautionary that he was taken off.

:eek:
    I call shenanigans!!
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Not sure if i agree with Trap coming out saying France are afraid of us

i'd rather that than him coming out saying we're scared ****less and we're hopeless, and the french are gonna destroy us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1101/duffd.html\

'It is very hard stopping Damien playing for the Republic of Ireland. You have to lock him in a cage.'

Now if we had that sort of commitment across the entire squad, we'd be in a much better position.

A certain 'Ireland' could learn a lot from a real pro like Duffer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

A certain 'Ireland' could learn a lot from a real pro like Duffer.

Yeah, lessons like 'how to get game in first team' - PAH HA HA HA HA :D

gosplan wrote: »
    Yeah, lessons like 'how to get game in first team' - PAH HA HA HA HA :D
    The same Ireland that started on the Bench yesterday? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

The same Ireland that started on the Bench yesterday? :p

Upon reading it again, maybe thats what he meant lol :p

Upon reading it again, maybe thats what he meant lol :p
    Ha yeah. I think you're right!

briany wrote: »
    Duff did set up the goal for the winner in Cyprus this cannot be disputed but he's not what he was unfortunately but he's getting on in football terms and doesn't he have some niggling achilles injury? McGeady can zip down the wings but his final ball is lacking, Duff can deliver a fine final ball but seems to lack the pace and creativity of old....It's like you have the two halves of a perfect winger.

Eh. McGeady can run with a football but he cannot cross with his left (whilst Duff can cross quite well with either foot), he does not track back as well, he does not use the ball as well, he never provided much of a goal threat. Saying Duff lacks pace and creativity makes it sound like we have G.Best waiting on the sidelines - who exactly does he lack pace/creativity compared to who in this Ireland squad? He is by no means slow and we have alreadt established he contributes more than McGeady.

The Lawrence love is a little premature around here, he played very well in two games but I wouldn't go placing him ahead of Duff just yet.
    I had a feeling someone would say McGeady needs more time. He's had loads of time! Why do people keep saying this a few years into his Irish career?!

You're right in saying that Duff's club form means nowt in relation to this argument. However, people still think he's a great player cos of his brilliance back in his heyday. He isn't anywhere near the player he used to be. But yes he plays well for Ireland so he is naturally one of our best players.

But lastly I really don't think that Duff would be a huge loss. We have Hunt or Lawrence to come in for him. Our best game in the qualifiers was against Italy. Duff wasn't playing then.

Duff has been excellent for his club recently alright.

Maybe you get confused with Duff of 5 years ago and the current one but that wouldn't be me or the majority of the posters here. Just becasue a player doesn't possess quite the same blistering pace as he once had does not mean he is finished or not contributing - you really need to look at it in a multi-dimensional way. When you say he isn't the player he was at Chelsa then that is fine, all it means is he has gone from potential world class to being a pretty good player. Ay suggestion he has gone from hero to zero is miles of the mark. Even during his worst days with Newcastle he was performing for his country.

Your argument that we played better againt Italy because Duff wasn't playing is fairly awful. What did the other two wingers create from open play then if we are going to go down that route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

The way Andy Reid played on the weekend, I still can't believe he is not being picked!!

mcwhirter wrote: »
    The way Andy Reid played on the weekend, I still can't believe he is not being picked!!

And He never will be !! Even if he scores a free kick like that every week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

To be honest I'm now furious. Even when he wasn't in great form last season he was still a cut above our other midfielders. It's an utter disgrace now. He's by far the Irish midfielder most on form in the Premier League this season, Duff a distant second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I can't belive it either buddy, but there you go!

• Advertisement

Your argument that we played better againt Italy because Duff wasn't playing is fairly awful. What did the other two wingers create from open play then if we are going to go down that route?

???

Please read my post again. I think you'll find that your comment is "fairly awful."

This is the second time in as many days that someone has taken something I've said and twisted it for their own little spin. Why do you need to do this? Please do tell me cos it's fairly frustrating.

So...

I did not say that we played better against Italy cos Duff wasn't playing (doh!). Someone said he would be a huge loss if he was injured. I said he wouldn't cos we have players to cover him in that position. Then I said that he wasn't playing against Italy and it was our best match in the qualifiers. Hence we could and should be ok without him if he is injured.

Do you work for the Daily Mail by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I had a dream last night I was chatting with Jack Charlton about the play-off game and he was quite optimistic about Ireland's chances. I was my usual cynical self. I then tried to take a picture of us on my phone but I couldn't get the thing to work.

Just thought I'd share that.

i had a dream someone made a movie about me called "eoinzy", then in the cinema there was penguins flying around so we stayed after the film playin wit the penguins, coz my gf loves penguins.

in unrelated news, im really startin to get excited about this match now!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

currently organising a party at my place for the night of the match, it wont kick off till about 4am here and im living with a french guy, should be a fun night. Even he said to me today that the one place France are worse than Ireland is in the managers dugout although then he did say that maybe Given is also better, as much as i kinda agree with him i stilli needed some one upmanship so i reminded that his club side Lyon swapped Carew for Baros with my club side, that shut him up...for atleast 12 days.

I did not say that we played better against Italy cos Duff wasn't playing (doh!). Someone said he would be a huge loss if he was injured. I said he wouldn't cos we have players to cover him in that position. Then I said that he wasn't playing against Italy and it was our best match in the qualifiers. Hence we could and should be ok without him if he is injured.

Do you work for the Daily Mail by any chance?

He would be a huge loss. End off. Its nice you can pick one game where he was missing that we got a result in but it isn't really representative, is it?

Italy at home with an amazing atmosphere where everybody was up for it?

Above all, what Duff especially adds to Ireland under Trap is the ability to actually be at ease on the ball.

Don't tell people they think Duff is amazing because of how he played for Chelsea years ago, the bigger problem is the Pub fan who sees Ireland once a year and gives it the whole 'Duff is past it' when, in actual fact, he has been as integral to anything good over the past ten years.

Not the Daily Mail, no, I do try to make sure that silly stereotypes about players being past it are not perpetuated without challenge.

He would be a huge loss. End off. Its nice you can pick one game where he was missing that we got a result in but it isn't really representative, is it?

Italy at home with an amazing atmosphere where everybody was up for it?

Above all, what Duff especially adds to Ireland under Trap is the ability to actually be at ease on the ball.

Don't tell people they think Duff is amazing because of how he played for Chelsea years ago, the bigger problem is the Pub fan who sees Ireland once a year and gives it the whole 'Duff is past it' when, in actual fact, he has been as integral to anything good over the past ten years.

Not the Daily Mail, no, I do try to make sure that silly stereotypes about players being past it are not perpetuated without challenge.

Well you are entitled to your opinion. We'll just have to agree to disagree. And by the way I addressed and evaluated my opinions on Duff's form for club and country in my other posts but you obviously didn't read them properly, AGAIN.

And...

You still haven't given me an explanation as to why you were unable to read my post properly and then state that I said something that I actually didn't. I think it's fair to say that this makes your comment completely negligent so I'm sure you'll concede that in fact it is your comment that was "fairly awful" and not mine. If I misquoted you and you called me on it I would apologise. But each to their own I suppose.

In future you should read and assimilate comments correctly before you post or else your whole shtick becomes null and void.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Now now boys play nice! Everyone is entitled to their opinion!!!!

I believe Andy Reid should definitly be in the Irish squad. we have a weak midfield. And aside from the Italy match Ireland has being playing very negative football, only going for draws. Its not nice to watch. and granted we are in the play offs but we seriously need to up our game and be much more positve in our mentality if we want to beat the likes of France and make it to South Africa.
    I also think it says something when our most recent goals have come from defenders. How are our stricker supposed to do their jobs if they arent getting anything from the midfield.
    Just my opinion.

I had a dream last night I was chatting with Jack Charlton about the play-off game and he was quite optimistic about Ireland's chances. I was my usual cynical self. I then tried to take a picture of us on my phone but I couldn't get the thing to work.

Just thought I'd share that.

Hope you and Jack both had clothes on in this dream :D

Well you are entitled to your opinion. We'll just have to agree to disagree. And by the way I addressed and evaluated my opinions on Duff's form for club and country in my other posts but you obviously didn't read them properly, AGAIN.

And...

You still haven't given me an explanation as to why you were unable to read my post properly and then state that I said something that I actually didn't. I think it's fair to say that this makes your comment completely negligent so I'm sure you'll concede that in fact it is your comment that was "fairly awful" and not mine. If I misquoted you and you called me on it I would apologise. But each to their own I suppose.

In future you should read and assimilate comments correctly before you post or else your whole shtick becomes null and void.

You are not really addressing the points re Duff and Lawrence. If you think Duff is not a big loss to Ireland then I have to, through freedom of speach etc, let you have your opinion.

However, I honestly, and with the geatest of respect, wonder how often you watch your country play. Can you name a game in which he played well recently which can't be measure by goals or assists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If Andy Reid played with St Johnstone he more likely be in the side

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Can I make a suggestion. Michael Doyle. has one previous cap for Ireland. Midfielder for Leeds United. Solid guy, not afraid to make a tackle and can be creative. Better than the other two we have in midfield at the mo!!!

Trap could do worse than looking at League one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement