Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Teamtalk/Gossip/Media Stories/ Discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

noodler wrote: »
    You are not really addressing the points re Duff and Lawrence. If you think Duff is not a big loss to Ireland then I have to, through freedom of speach etc, let you have your opinion.

However, I honestly, and with the geatest of respect, wonder how often you watch your country play. Can you name a game in which he played well recently which can't be measure by goals or assists?

Look,

As I have already stated-yes Duff is one of our best players in a limited Irish team. I shouldn't have bothered saying that he hasn't been up to much at club level because, as I have already agreed with another poster, it is fairly irrelevant what he does at club level if he plays well for Ireland. The only reason I said he wasn't good at club level was to point out to certain people who still think he is amazing that he really isn't that good a player anymore.

Moving on to Lawrence; Having seen him in action for Stoke last season I was constantly hoping that he would be recalled. He has been and he's done well and he has a shout for starting in place of McGeady or if Duff is injured I think he should definitely start (I've already said all this and I'm getting annoyed at having to repeat myself)

Moving on to my next point which I have already stated and have to repeat again; No I don't think Duff would be a huge loss. It wouldn't be catastrophic cos we have options on the wings. It's Robbie's injury I'm worried about. This is my opinion. Get over it.

And lastly, nice of you to throw in a little subtle insult but I'll entertain it anyway. I don't recall missing one Irish game on the tellybox (apart from the games I've attended) since I was 8 (Euro 88). Maybe I watched them before that but I can't remember. I've attended a lot of the home matches over the last 10 years and I've been to Germany, Holland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, France and Italy over the years.

And once more to sum up the end of your last question which doesn't make much sense; What exactly are you arguing with me about here? I never said Duff was sh1t for Ireland!!! (probably about the 5th time now I've had to state this) I know he plays well for our country! For the last time-I don't think he's a huge loss when we have options in that position. You disagree. Big deal. Get over it. All I ask is that you don't twist my words again

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So you've changed from 'not a huge loss' to 'not a catostrophic loss', right. I am not misquoting you here, am I?

You a footballing scout by any chance? It sounds like you watced Stoke live last season more time than any of Trap's team did.

You know who else looked exceptional after their debut? Paul McShane. Now this shouldn't used as a stick to beat Lawrence with but I would be wary of changing the system by starting him against France. If we are to persist with two holding midfielers then I feel we need two out-and-out wingers to give us some sort of link between attack and defence. Furthermore, given we do not have Grosso to worry about, I wonder if Trap will employ someone like Lawrence with a view to man marking Evra. Both dangerous fullbacks but I would always be more fearful of Grosso in a national situation.

Hunt's limitations have been obvious to ll yet he provied great work rate and a threat from set-pieces. If I had to have one of the four coming off the bench it would be him.

McGeady - obvious again, when deployed on the left, he will not go outside and constantly cuts in side with wildly inaccurate crosses and shots.

How it is not clear that Duff is the most complete footballer of the three to you I do not know. He is well balanced in attack and defence, can dribble, cross with both feet, shoot etc etc.

Why do you keep going on about poor Fulham form? He has been playing very well for them. Set up another goal there at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

You know who else looked exceptional after their debut? Paul McShane. Now this shouldn't used as a stick to beat Lawrence with but I would be wary of changing the system by starting him against France.

McShane??!?!?!?!?!!?! Are you joking???? What Irish team have you been watching!!!???? he is useless!
    Lawrence definitly should start!
    This Trapp system is killing our team imo. no creativity! I saw a bit of a spark against Italy, but really flat against Montenagro. Again trapp playing for a draw instead of a win!

France wont be a push over even if they are missing some key players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

SarahBM wrote: »
    McShane??!?!?!?!?!!?! Are you joking???? What Irish team have you been watching!!!???? he is useless!
    Read his post again.

Not at the expense of Duff he shouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Read the post!!! It was stated that he "looked exceptional after his debut". Which he did when he made it against the Czech Republic. It was because of this that he commanded a starting place with Dunne for a while after. However no one ever stated that he continued to be a world beater.

In my opinion if McGeady and Duff are both fit they should both start. If Lawrence was to start, Id put him in CM. Never gonna happen with Trap though. Give the midfield a bit of needed creativity in the middle. And good with set pieces. I just think putting him on the wings isnt a good idea when he's not an out and out winger. As in he's not going to run at defenders like Duff and McGeady, however rarely they do it, are capable of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Duff for me would be the first choice winger if he's fit. A match like this requires experienced heads. I'd go with Duff and Hunt on the flanks as I think you know what you're going to get with these two, whereas I see McGeady and Lawrence as more of a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

So you've changed from 'not a huge loss' to 'not a catostrophic loss', right. I am not misquoting you here, am I?

You a footballing scout by any chance? It sounds like you watced Stoke live last season more time than any of Trap's team did.

You know who else looked exceptional after their debut? Paul McShane. Now this shouldn't used as a stick to beat Lawrence with but I would be wary of changing the system by starting him against France. If we are to persist with two holding midfielers then I feel we need two out-and-out wingers to give us some sort of link between attack and defence. Furthermore, given we do not have Grosso to worry about, I wonder if Trap will employ someone like Lawrence with a view to man marking Evra. Both dangerous fullbacks but I would always be more fearful of Grosso in a national situation.

Hunt's limitations have been obvious to ll yet he provied great work rate and a threat from set-pieces. If I had to have one of the four coming off the bench it would be him.

McGeady - obvious again, when deployed on the left, he will not go outside and constantly cuts in side with wildly inaccurate crosses and shots.

How it is not clear that Duff is the most complete footballer of the three to you I do not know. He is well balanced in attack and defence, can dribble, cross with both feet, shoot etc etc.

Why do you keep going on about poor Fulham form? He has been playing very well for them. Set up another goal there at the weekend.

Good God man! Are you for real or are you trolling??? Please tell me it's the latter. My head hurts at this stage having to deal with this nonsense. What did I tell you to do-READ MY PREVIOUS POSTS!!! You are obviously incapable of this or you would have seen that I stated yesterday that DUFF HAS BEEN GOOD FOR FULHAM!!!

And while you are pointing out the mistake I've apparently made of judging a player after a few matches can I ask you why are you raving about Duff's performance for Fulham after he has only played a handful of matches for them? You are stepping on your own point here! Oh and don't come back with a silly argument along the lines of Duff being great for years; we've already addressed this and you said yourself that his club form (which as I've said has been diminshing over the years) has nothing to do with how he plays for Ireland.

Yes I have seen Lawrence play for Stoke-why are you so surprised at this? He has been one of their best players over the last few seasons. They are a premiership club. Of course I've seen him play. For some reason you doubt this simple fact. You even go on to say "It sounds like you watched Stoke live last season more time than any of Trap's team did."
    What is this supposed to mean? I mean really??? I'm just flabergasted at this nonsense.

And once again-I know Duff is the most complete out of these three!!! What is it you don't understand? For the 12th time or something-I only stated that he wouldn't be a huge (or should I say catastrophic, DOH!) loss if he was injured cos we have options and if he was injured I reckon Lawrence should start (it's depressing having to repeat myself). I KNOW DUFF IS THE BEST OUT OF THE THREE. I NEVER STATED OTHERWISE!!!

And finally the fact that you call me on my choice of a word (I changed huge to catastrophic! You got me!) shows me that you aren't even worth arguing with. How stupid am I to get into an argument with you. Talk about a waste of time. Can I ask what age you are? Seriously?

I'm off to lie down and curse myself for entertaining this complete and utter nonsense. It truly is mind boggling. I won't be replying to any more of your rambling posts. It's pointless and I've already stated everything relevant to the argument about 10 TIMES.

this is why I love soccer!!! :D

btw are ye ignoring my post about Doyle??

Just on the subject of the block booking applications, I was reading this this morning and it would seem that there'll only be 100 people that will manage to get off the waiting list when we move back to Lansdowne.
    The association is already disappointing quite a few people in relation to its block booking scheme which, it has been informing supporters by post in recent days, will not be extended when the redeveloped Lansdowne Road opens next year. There were around 33,000 fans purchasing tickets under the scheme prior to the move to Croke Park a couple of season ago, but many of the more than 10,000 or so supporters on the waiting list have been able to buy since because of the much greater capacity at the GAA stadium.

It had been hoped some would continue to be facilitated after the move back across the city, but the association said yesterday that the numbers of “general admission” tickets would remain unchanged at 33,000 and that, as a result, fewer than 100 people would make it off the waiting list when the list of purchasers is updated.

The association has set aside 10,000 tickets for its much trumpeted Vantage ticket scheme – it continues to decline to confirm how many have been sold amid speculation that the figures have been poor – while the other 7,000 will, it says, be accounted for by visiting supporters, dignitaries and a variety of other smaller groupings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

So what they are saying is, 0 tickets will be released to any fan other than those already on the block booking or willing to spend 100 euro a month for the next 10 years.

It's outrageous really, it's basically impossible for anyone under the age of 30 to have legitimately gotten onto the block booking list since it's been fully subscribed since before the year 2000.

Looking back, why build a new stadium if you can't accomodate any more fans in the damn thing.

• Advertisement

But I bet there'll be plenty of tickets made available for the meaningless friendlies in the future. :rolleyes:

Has the FAI been in contact with anyone here who went to the Montenagran game RE:French tickets?

As of yesterday they were telling me they still had no record of the ticket stubs I sent in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

So whats the deal then, they won't be selling tickets on general release?

Ugh, the FAI are such a frustrating organisation, they really are.

What ever happened to being able to just go out and buy a couple of tickets and go to a game, ya know, the way real supporters do.

Luckily I still have fond memories of the old Landsdowne, when it was full of real supporters, in full voice, no matter what the match was.

:(

Good God man! Are you for real or are you trolling??? Please tell me it's the latter. My head hurts at this stage having to deal with this nonsense. What did I tell you to do-READ MY PREVIOUS POSTS!!! You are obviously incapable of this or you would have seen that I stated yesterday that DUFF HAS BEEN GOOD FOR FULHAM!!!

And while you are pointing out the mistake I've apparently made of judging a player after a few matches can I ask you why are you raving about Duff's performance for Fulham after he has only played a handful of matches for them? You are stepping on your own point here!

lol, no. Its called form.
    Yes I have seen Lawrence play for Stoke-why are you so surprised at this? He has been one of their best players over the last few seasons. They are a premiership club. Of course I've seen him play. For some reason you doubt this simple fact. You even go on to say "It sounds like you watched Stoke live last season more time than any of Trap's team did."
    What is this supposed to mean? I mean really??? I'm just flabergasted at this nonsense.

Why are you flabbergasted? Are you basing your knowledge of Lawrence completely on highlights? That was the question, next time a question 'flabergasts' you then just calm down take a deep breath and have someone explain it to you.
    And once again-I know Duff is the most complete out of these three!!! What is it you don't understand? For the 12th time or something-I only stated that he wouldn't be a huge (or should I say catastrophic, DOH!) loss if he was injured cos we have options and if he was injured I reckon Lawrence should start (it's depressing having to repeat myself). I KNOW DUFF IS THE BEST OUT OF THE THREE. I NEVER STATED OTHERWISE!!!

Our best and most creative out-and-out winger wouldn't be a huge loss.

Gotcha.
    And finally the fact that you call me on my choice of a word (I changed huge to catastrophic! You got me!) shows me that you aren't even worth arguing with. How stupid am I to get into an argument with you. Talk about a waste of time. Can I ask what age you are? Seriously?

What it actually shows is that you took a step down from your original position once you realised how silly it was. My lord, you make silly, unproven statements and pass them off as fact and then get moany when people call you on them.

How stupid am I

I wouldn't like to speculate tbh.

This Trapp system is killing our team imo. no creativity! I saw a bit of a spark against Italy, but really flat against Montenagro. Again trapp playing for a draw instead of a win!

France wont be a push over even if they are missing some key players!
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Read his post again.

Sútalún wrote: »
    Read the post!!! It was stated that he "looked exceptional after his debut". Which he did when he made it against the Czech Republic. It was because of this that he commanded a starting place with Dunne for a while after. However no one ever stated that he continued to be a world beater.

In my opinion if McGeady and Duff are both fit they should both start. If Lawrence was to start, Id put him in CM. Never gonna happen with Trap though. Give the midfield a bit of needed creativity in the middle. And good with set pieces. I just think putting him on the wings isnt a good idea when he's not an out and out winger. As in he's not going to run at defenders like Duff and McGeady, however rarely they do it, are capable of.

Oh dear, did you actually take Bazmo's advice and reread the post? Even the person I am arguing with did not make the same mistake you did.

I will explain it briefly, McShane was thought to be brilliant after one game against the Czechs. He later turned out to be not so brilliant. I was warning against making snap judgements on Lawrence's international future based on one competitive game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

*whoosh*

This sort fo reminds me of those tests where you are told to read through all of the questions before answering. You know, the ones where if you read them all, it will state you don't need to answer any, but people just read each one and answer the lot.

People really need to read posts before typing up silly statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Gots me tickets for the away game!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Oliver1985 wrote: »

Congrats! I say the atmosphere will be unreal.

I sent my montenegro tickets stubs away to the fai and i got 2 tickets for the home tie against France, cant bloody wait!

• Advertisement

I read that post about 3 times. I just dont happen to agree.:mad:
    :rolleyes: Relax, people.
    I am entitled to my opinion. :D
    Im not going to post here any more if I get my head biten off for disagreeing with something and then getting ignored when I ask a question about another player. at least when I complain about the mid field Im willing to make a suggestion about who I would want in there instead.

So Long! :D

I read that post about 3 times. I just dont happen to agree.:mad:
    :rolleyes: Relax, people.
    I am entitled to my opinion. :D
    Im not going to post here any more if I get my head biten off for disagreeing with something and then getting ignored when I ask a question about another player. at least when I complain about the mid field Im willing to make a suggestion about who I would want in there instead.

So Long! :D
    You're still missing the point though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

As did I. I will be at both the matches, really looking forward to it. Here's hoping there will be a huge Irish celebration in Paris on the 18th!

You're still missing the point though.

Its facepalm time mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8343985.stm

Duff's a doubt for the play-offs. I'd be happy enough with McGeady and Lawrence. Our best chance is from a set-piece, and Lawrence's delivery should see him start in Duff's absense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

If Duff, a left winger is doubtful, I presume Trapp is going to call up a replacement player, ie a left winger, and an in form one. say Andy Reid !

When we required a replacement Centre half, we called up Sean St Ledger, a bit of an unknown , no problem there, we gambled and he's not too bad.

With the Duff situation we would be calling up a player with International experience , current Premiership form, a ready replacement, ie left sided winger/ midfield player. What exactly does Duff do that andy Reid can't do, When did Duffer last have an outstanding game for us ?

Trapp .. Do the Decent thing, you have an opportunity to do so.

Secman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I have actually benn quite impressed with st ledger since he came in although he has had a few lapses of concentration maybe trap will gamble again i can't see him calling him(reid) up now he's stubburn meaning if everyone says he should recall reid he wont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

secman wrote: »
    If Duff, a left winger is doubtful, I presume Trapp is going to call up a replacement player, ie a left winger, and an in form one. say Andy Reid !

When we required a replacement Centre half, we called up Sean St Ledger, a bit of an unknown , no problem there, we gambled and he's not too bad.

With the Duff situation we would be calling up a player with International experience , current Premiership form, a ready replacement, ie left sided winger/ midfield player. What exactly does Duff do that andy Reid can't do, When did Duffer last have an outstanding game for us ?

Secman

Even if he did call up Andy Reid he's not going to start him. Its obvious that Trap is not a risk taker and will go with someone who has played on the wing for him already in the campaign i.e. McGeady, Hunt or Lawrence. Even Andy Keogh has played there although I can't remember if that was in a competitive match or just a friendlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

secman wrote: »

Secman

When exactly has duffer not had a good game for us? The Trap masterplan is all about being compact and getting good positions for set pieces. Duff is a major component of that plan, he's a foul magnet.
    I reckon it was going to be Duff and Lawrence starting anyway, so its a two horse race between McEddy and Steve Hunt now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

Kingdom wrote: »
    When exactly has duffer not had a good game for us? The Trap masterplan is all about being compact and getting good positions for set pieces. Duff is a major component of that plan, he's a foul magnet.
    I reckon it was going to be Duff and Lawrence starting anyway, so its a two horse race between McEddy and Steve Hunt now.

Look at what I posed about Duffs recent games, he's been good without being outstanding. What can Duff do that Reid can't do, he can dribble better but his crosses are not great. Reid strikes a ball much better and sees passes that Duff doesn't see. I am simply saying that the norm is when someone drops out due to injury a replacement for that position is usually called up, and it would usually dilute the strenght, but calling Reid in for Duff in many peoples opinion would not dilute the strenght of the squad.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

If Andy Reid had made up with Trap, Steven Reid was fully fit, Stephen Ireland rediscovered his patriotism and we knew Duffer would be alright I'd be feeling so excited about the play-off, and dare I say it, a wee bit optimistic. :(

I think the player we should be most worried about is Anelka - he takes ordinary players like St Ledger to school, we see that in the Premier League every season. Another issue that worries me is their overlapping full backs - the likes of Evra and Sagna bring a whole new dimension and options going forward. I worry for Kevin Kilbane.

• Advertisement

If Andy Reid had made up with Trap, Steven Reid was fully fit, Stephen Ireland rediscovered his patriotism and we knew Duffer would be alright I'd be feeling so excited about the play-off, and dare I say it, a wee bit optimistic. :(

I think the player we should be most worried about is Anelka - he takes ordinary players like St Ledger to school, we see that in the Premier League every season. Another issue that worries me is their overlapping full backs - the likes of Evra and Sagna bring a whole new dimension and options going forward. I worry for Kevin Kilbane.
    So you're only worried about the Premiership players?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

So you're only worried about the Premiership players?

Eh? No, they are only the players that worry me MOST. That's not even mentioning the likes of Ribery, Nasri, Benzema, Ben Arfa, Gignac, Diarra, Toulalan (hope there's a injury or two in that list) That Thierry Henry isn't half bad either (;)) That's just off the top of my head - there is probably half a dozen or more so obvious big names I missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Do you remember Amsterdam 2000 ? Lisbon 2000 ? Richard Dunne was a somewhat unknown, and much criticised centerback. He stifled Hassilbaink, Kluivert, Van Nistelrooy, Van Hoojonk, Figo, Pauleta, Costa etc. St Ledger has been decent, and I full expect him to hug Anelka tightly.

I share your concerns about Kilbane, and would prefer O Shea at left back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It looks like there is a chnace that TV coverage of the second leg (?) will not happen on Irish TV. Dunno why but Matt Cooper will be discussing this between now and 7 pm (most likely after 6.30 news)

www.todayfm.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

While I admire Kevin Kilbane's commitment to the team's cause over the past number of years, he is something of a liability in that position if recent form in the games is to be used as a measure. With that said I don't think most people here would be up for telling him that to his face and there isn't much better given our current options anyway.

The TV thing could turn into a bit of a shambles. From what I read, the French state broadcaster TV1 is asking a high price for the rights to the Paris game and some feel this might be motivated by RTE's decision in 2005 to award the rights of the match in Dublin to an independent French TV station. Here's hoping that RTE can resolve it because those guys on SKY are pretty a pretty soulless and drab lot it has to be said and the only thing worse than losing would be to lose with those shabby commentators trying to wax lyrical on top of it while mispronouncing various surnames (Who's Kill ban?:confused:).

briany wrote: »
    The TV thing could turn into a bit of a shambles. From what I read, the French state broadcaster TV1 is asking a high price for the rights to the Paris game and some feel this might be motivated by RTE's decision in 2005 to award the rights of the match in Dublin to an independent French TV station. Here's hoping that RTE can resolve it because those guys on SKY are pretty a pretty soulless and drab lot it has to be said and the only thing worse than losing would be to lose with those shabby commentators trying to wax lyrical on top of it while mispronouncing various surnames (Who's Kill ban?:confused:).
    Just listened to the Last Word there. It would seem that TF1 are asking for somewhere in the region of €1.5m from RTE & SKY for the rights, and as you've said, the reason seems to be that RTE sold their rights to an independent station for €4m and the French are p1ssed.

I think RTE are just playing hardball because if the French trash us in the first game the rights for the match in Paris would be worthless.

Just saw the french team there!! They have some strike force !! Dont worry be have O Shea and Dunne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Just saw the french team there!! They have some strike force !! Dont worry be have O Shea and Dunne

Wtf? Are you only realising that now? Or did you physcially 'see' them and they're even better in the flesh!?

Wtf? Are you only realising that now? Or did you physcially 'see' them and they're even better in the flesh!?

Of course i have realised it !! Its just when he calls out the teaming it sounds even worse!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

sugarman wrote: »
    From Soccer Republic:

First thought is there's not too much to worry about with that midfield - very defensive looking (apart from Gourcuff and he's still pretty inexperienced at that level)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Gourcuff could be France's bolter. From what I've read he's a genius in the making and is running things for Bordeaux. He would be the player we'd know least about.

Secman,

your logic on the Reid/Duff replacing is fair enough, I disagree with your assertion that Duff's crossing is poor, with either foot he always (a very high percentage definitely) gets the ball into the target area and on a tee for the recipient. PErsonally I don't think Andy Reid's ability to extracate himself surrounded by 2/3 players wouldn't be as good as Damien's however Andy's passing and shooting would be far superior to Duff's.

In my opinion they aren't comparable as they are completely different players altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

From Soccer Republic:
    France coach Raymond Domenech has named two uncapped players in his squad but has left out Inter Milan's Patrick Vieira.

Bordeaux goalkeeper Cedric Carrasso and Lyon defender Aly Cissokho have made the cut for the two-legged play-off with Ireland on 14 and 18 November. Cissokho replaces the injured Arsenal left-back, Gael Clichy. Youann Gourcuff returns after missing the last squad through injury while there is no place for Lyon's Bafétimi Gomis or Sami Nasri despite the Arsenal man starting this week's Champions League game.

Goalkeepers Cedric Carrasso (Girondins Bordeaux), Hugo Lloris (Olympique Lyon), Steve Mandanda (Olympique Marseille)

Defenders Eric Abidal (Barcelona), Aly Cissokho (Olympique Lyon), Patrice Evra (Manchester United), Julien Escude (Sevilla), Rod Fanni (Stade Rennes), William Gallas (Arsenal), Bacary Sagna (Arsenal), Sebastien Squillaci (Sevilla)

Midfielders Abou Diaby (Arsenal), Alou Diarra (Girondins Bordeaux), Lassana Diarra (Real Madrid), Yoann Gourcuff (Girondins Bordeaux), Moussa Sissoko (Toulouse), Jeremy Toulalan (Olympique Lyon)

Forwards Nicolas Anelka (Chelsea), Karim Benzema (Real Madrid), Andre-Pierre Gignac (Toulouse), Sidney Govou (Olympique Lyon), Thierry Henry (Barcelona), Florent Malouda (Chelsea), Loic Remy (Nice)

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

France sure have good left backs, and that squad doesn't even have Clichy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Bohemians goalkeeper Brian Murphy has been called into the Republic of Ireland squad for the upcoming World Cup play-off matches against France.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1106/murphyb.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

jaykay74 wrote: »

He won't be a Bohemians player when the game kicks off... he'll be a Championship player!

So no change there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

AARRRGH wrote: »
    He won't be a Bohemians player when the game kicks off... he'll be a Championship player!

So no change there. :)

Will he :confused: Isn't the transfer window closed until Jan ?

I would have thought he will still officially be a Bohs player during the playoffs, not that it really matters since the callup is based on how he has performed in the loi, not some future possible performances for ipswich.

Jesus he has some clean sheet record!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Thats some step up for Murphy but fair play to him, fully deserves it.

When he took over he made it his business to get Finnan and Kiely back on board stating that he needs them as experianced players. Finnan gets injured and he justs forgets about him and Kiely walks because he was promised game time in Friendlies aswell as being number 2 to Given.

Finnan is injured so maybe he had been told no point picking him.
    As for the Reids totally agree they should be in the squad.

woodyg wrote: »
    Finnan is injured so maybe he had been told no point picking him.
    As for the Reids totally agree they should be in the squad.

I knew he would not Pick A.Reid but really shocked no S.Reid

• Advertisement

I knew he would not Pick A.Reid but really shocked no S.Reid

He will live and die by his decisions.

Advertisement