Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lag with 360 (on 3mb eircom line)

• 12-10-2009 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I supposedly have a 3mb connection with Eircom but the best of times it'll give me a little over 2mb, i've been having a horrendous time with lag on xbox live recently, if i do a ISP test I could have like 1.5mb download speed and say 300kbs upload, (through the Irish ISP test) but the jitter is 65.7ms and packet loss of 17.1%, what's causing such a high jitter and packet loss? It's really annoying not being able to play with this lag.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

siblers wrote: »
    Hey, I supposedly have a 3mb connection with Eircom but the best of times it'll give me a little over 2mb, i've been having a horrendous time with lag on xbox live recently, if i do a ISP test I could have like 1.5mb download speed and say 300kbs upload, (through the Irish ISP test) but the jitter is 65.7ms and packet loss of 17.1%, what's causing such a high jitter and packet loss? It's really annoying not being able to play with this lag.
    Join the club. There could be many factors contributing to your problem. Your exchange could be overloaded, your line could be too noisy (due to line quality and/or distance of your home from the local exchange), you could be feeling the pinch of evening time contention, or you could have a line fault. If your connection is like mine and many others, then it's probably not something that can be fixed easily, and I'd imagine that your exchange is just over-subscribed. We're all struggling to get our own connections sorted for a long time. Eircom aren't exactly feeling pressed to sort it out, as for the most part, Irish consumers have no other choice but to use Eircom or its bitsream re-sellers for their fixed line broadband. They're making their money, everything else must be secondary, including P.R. and overall customer satisfaction. I'd leave them in a second if I had another choice, as would many others. Case and point.

In the meantime, call Eircom and report the problem. Don't let their support script monkeys persuade you into thinking it's something on your end, such as your computers, your router, or your internal phone wiring. You must persuade them to log a fault, starting with a PSTN Line Test. If that comes up green, then persuade them to log a DSL fault. If your line comes up red in showing a fault, and if it's then fixed and you see no improvement, then get a DSL fault logged also. If there is a line fault and after it's said to be fixed you see an improvement, then happy days!

But, tell us a few things anyhow. We need more information so we can narrow down the possible causes. But, your priority should be to contact Eircom in regards to what I've said above. If it can be fixed, only they can do it for you.

At what time of the day does your connection start misbehaving, and what time does it return to normal, if it does at all?

What are your line stats (Line Sync Speed, SN Margin [a.k.a. Noise Margin or SNR], Line Attenuation)? (Go into your router's Stats page, or similar, to find out)

What area are you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Woah nice reply, will have to find out all those stats, but it drops usually after 6 which I figured was down to contention ratio, i'm about 3 miles from the exchange in Milltown, Co.Kerry, I rang em 3 times tonight and they are sending out an engineer but going on other people's problems, I wont get my hopes up, am thinking of switching to Vodafone but I'm most likely stuck in a 1year contract. It was grand at the start (2 months ago), then I had trouble with splitters, got new splitter, was grand for another week or so, then the last 2 weeks have been a waste of time, it's grand for browsing and youtube most of the times, but downloading large files and xbox live it's a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Woah nice reply, will have to find out all those stats, but it drops usually after 6 which I figured was down to contention ratio, i'm about 3 miles from the exchange in Milltown, Co.Kerry, I rang em 3 times tonight and they are sending out an engineer but going on other people's problems, I wont get my hopes up, am thinking of switching to Vodafone but I'm most likely stuck in a 1year contract. It was grand at the start (2 months ago), then I had trouble with splitters, got new splitter, was grand for another week or so, then the last 2 weeks have been a waste of time, it's grand for browsing and youtube most of the times, but downloading large files and xbox live it's a disaster.
    It sounds all too familiar.

Going to Vodafone won't make an ounce of difference. It's all Eircom's bitstream product at the root. I'm with UTV myself, but my problems, and those of most others, are probably down to those criminals at €ircon. Though you'll probably save a few scratch with Vodafone every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TheDeficit

they are sending out an engineer

dont expect to hear anything or see any improvement, i got the "we'll send out an engineer" line AND a promise to call me within 5 days, never happened. I'm in Kerry also, farranfore exchange. Absolutely diabolical in the evenings. You're in milltown, that exchange was enabled just recently, i suppose it's overloaded already! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

The last while I was getting really bad lag aswell. My ping was on average around 300ms. Rang Eircom and got the same reply as ALWAYS with them. They tell you theyl check the exchange but always make out that the faults at your end and that theyl send out someone to your house and ring you back. Of course it never happens.

There has been an improvement of late but at random times I get terrible lag for no reason.

How do ya check where you exchange is btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Rang up again and got some automated message saying there is a problem in my area and they are working on it, I wont get my hopes up. Also, the money grabbing ***** have been charging us for our broadband package and phoneline seperatley, even though we specifically asked for a certain package. Can't ring em now as they are closed, would love to **** them out of it, so ****ed off right now.

Advertisement