Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween Book Recommendations

Options
  • 12-10-2009 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭

As Halloween is on the way, I fancy reading a good scary book to mark the occasion. I've already read Dracula a couple of Halloween's ago so I may go with Frankenstein.

Any other recommendations of truly scary books for this time of year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski is the darling of contemporary horror. Try and get the full colour version if at all possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The Shining is truly scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 SwearImNotPaul

I thought the Exorcist book was excellent. It's great if you love the film too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Some other suitable Stephen King may include:
    • Christine (car goes on a rampage!)
    • Salem's Lot (a horror classic)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I love World War Z by Max Brooks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭alfranken

Salems Lot is good, also try Let the Right One In.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I love horror books. 'Salem's Lot' was the scariest book I've ever read. 'The Stand' is very popular.'The Exorcist' was a very disturbing read:eek: It stuck in my mind for a while after reading it. It gave me the creeps even looking at the cover of it. James Herbert's 'Shrine' was good (one of the first horrors I read so I don't know if it's as good as I remember). I really enjoyed Herbert's 'The Secret of Crickley Hall'..a good old fashioned ghost story. In fact any of his books I've enjoyed. He's very easy to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Pick up a compendium of HP Lovecraft stories, preferably one that includes "The Colour Out Of Space", "Pickman's Model", "The Rats In The Walls", "The Call Of Cthulhu", "The Haunter Of The Dark", "At The Mountains Of Madness", "The Music Of Erich Zahn", "The Unnameable"... I could go on

Henry James' "The Turn Of The Screw" and Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting Of Hill House" are my two favourite ghost-stories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

Oh yeah, grab some Lovecraft. The Colour out of Space is particularly awesome.

Also look out for The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen for the best piece of horror short fiction I've ever read and a huge influence on Lovecraft and Lovecraftian writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

James Herbert can be quite good. Icon, Ghosts of Sleath, and Shrine i remember as being particularly good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I found this one to be pretty good.

DEUS-X The Reality Conspiracy Joseph A. Citro

"DEUS-X is a gripping, frightening novel. Weaving elements of science fiction, theology and mystery into a story of ultimate cosmic horror with contemporary and historical reverberations … For those of you who are tired of vampires, serial killers and angst-ridden, deteriorating artist, DEUS-X will be welcome relief. Its cosmic scope, several creepy scenes of grotesque, supernatural horror, plus a downbeat ending all add up to an epic novel of millennial terror."Fangoria

or for something lighter try

Wolfs Hour by Robert McCammon
    Michael Gallatin is a British spy. Handsome, intelligent, cunning, seductive, he is everything James Bond could ever hope to be...except Gallatin is a werewolf.

Caught up in the troubles of WWII, desperately trying to uncover and stop a top-secret Nazi experiment, Gallatin meets a wide array of interesting and quirky characters, some of them friendly, some of them deadly. He must also come to grips with what he is, and face his own inner enemies...before time runs out.

Okay, so a werewolf solider in WWII doesn't sound like a great idea for a book; or, at least, not a good book. But Robert McCammon pulls it off--he has written a top-notch, gripping, emotional thriller that defies logic and critics' expectations. Indeed, it has such emotional power--especially in the flashback sequences of Gallatin's troubled childhood--that it even wrenched a few tears from me...and that's not an easy thing to do.

"The Wolf's Hour" is certainly one of my top-five favorite books of all time (and I've read a lot, people!). Robert McCammon has written some doozies in his time, but this one surpasses all of them. Gripping, thrilling, intoxicating...everything a good suspense novel should be. You want a war story? Romance? Horror novel? Action-adventure? This is it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

How about good old Bram Stoker's Dracula?

'Tis a fine read, still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Just finished 'Salem's Lot, it's brilliant, haven't been scared of vampires in over 10 years :p Surprisingly scary book!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Thanks to all. I just picked up Salem's Lot so I'm looking forward to getting into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Great choice! Takes a while to get going, but once it does you won't want it to end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

IT, Salems Lot, The Stand and The exorcist was a good read from what I recall.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Let us know what you think of 'Salem's Lot'..You're so lucky reading it for the first time! I loved the introduction about how he (King) was afraid of vampires when he was writing it or words to that effect.
    I'm reading 'Let The Right One In' at the moment. Started it yesterday evening and am almost finished it already. Its a very enjoyable read.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

I second a lot of these suggestions, particularly World War Z & Lovecraft short stories. I've always enjoyed Dennis Wheatley books involving Black Magic - 'The haunting of Toby Jugg', 'To the devil a daughter' and 'The Devil Rides out' ever since I was a kid, but they're not to everyone's taste. Second hand book shops might be the best place to pick one of those up, but if you come across one, pick it up. I believe for horror, short stories are the way to go, there's something about that medium that works for me!

Dracula is still waaay up there! :D

Although not strictly horror, I enjoy the feel of Poe's short stories too. Perfect for a dark, candlelit night.

Advertisement