Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I Pay Import Duties \ Taxes On Purchases From The UK?

Options
  • 12-10-2009 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

The title says it all, really.

I intend to buy a few hardware items from www.scan.co.uk, but just wanted to ask beforehand in case I get caught with added costs with Irish customs.

Is there an upper limit on the value of an item after which you will pay duty on said item?

Thanks for reading and also for any info you might have.

Regards.

The Th!ng

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Marcface

The_Thing wrote: »
    The title says it all, really.

I intend to buy a few hardware items from www.scan.co.uk, but just wanted to ask beforehand in case I get caught with added costs with Irish customs.

Is there an upper limit on the value of an item after which you will pay duty on said item?

Thanks for reading and also for any info you might have.

Regards.

The Th!ng

No you won't have to pay anything.

However, good luck trying to get them to actually deliver to you through a web order, I tried so many times, even through the scan.ie domain, and still they do not give an international option, just damn UK delivery options.. they DO deliver to Ireland, somehow, they just haven't fully sorted it yet, there's a thread post here about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

No, being a member of the EU has SOME benefits it seems, and you will not have to pay any Import Duty from items ordered from the UK (or any other EU member state).

However, as said, Scan are utterly horrible.

I suggest going to www.ebuyer.com instead. Great Prices and I have never paid more than their Flat £10 shipping charge to Ireland.

Just remember to follow the instructions Here when registering from Ireland. Also you may have to fake a Phone number, as it has issues registering Irish Numbers.

The Relevant Bit:
    I live in the Republic of Ireland and we do not have specific postcodes listed, what do I need to add into this box when I register?

Unfortunately our request for a postcode covers all customers so we have had to create our own postcode for the Republic of Ireland to allow our warehouse system to process your order properly.
    When you create your account please add REP IRE or REP 123 as your postcode for the billing address to complete the registration details.
    This will ensure that all the relevant boxes are completed and will avoid any misdirection of your order.
    Just as a Heads Up, I found REP IRE not to work, but REP 123 works fine.

Also, While I cannot confirm this to be true, apparently they refund Irish Customers the VAT.
    Now, I cannot say first hand this is true, but I have requested it a few days ago, and will report back if they send the money back to my Visa :D

The Relevant Bit:
    How do I claim back VAT if I live in an area where I am exempt from VAT?

If you are exempt from paying VAT you will need to pay this initially on our site as we do not have the facility to make specific addresses free from VAT.
    However if you live in the Channel Islands or Southern Ireland you can request that our support team refund the VAT you have paid which should clear onto your card within a minimum of 3 working days. You will need to continue with your enote to request this.
    Please note, our support team will only be able to create a refund once the order status has changed to invoiced. This is to avoid any unnecessary delays to the order.

If this is refunded back to me will it go onto my card?

If our support team are able to refund you the credit can be put straight onto your card or you may request this left as credit on your account for future purchases.
    If the refund is made to your card this can take 3-5 working days to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

OK guys, thanks for the feedback.

@ Leman_Russ:

I've checked www.ebuyer.com and they do not have what I want, which is this - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ICY-DOCK-MB877SK-B-Tray-less-Aluminum-Body-35-SATA-I-and-II-Mobile-Rack-Removable-Hard-Drive-Kit

I've checked a few etailers and the only English language site I've found so far is Pixmania.ie - http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/r/icy-dock

Basically I am planning on building my own multi-terabyte NAS based on http://www.freenas.org/ and one of the features I'd like to have is the easy insertion \ removal of hard drives.

What are Pixmania like for customer support, etc?

Is there anywhere else I might get those ICY DOCK enclosures?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The_Thing wrote: »
    What are Pixmania like for customer support, etc?

If the search function was working on here you'd find they are ranked as one of the worst for customer service, avoid. BTW they are French and are owned by DSG who own and operate PC World, so you are sure of getting the run around when / if something goes wrong.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

If I buy a load of stuff from hardwareversand.de will I get charged customs/import duty?

Dont want to hijack the thread just thought it looked like an appropriate thread to ask in :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Its within the EU so no.

Its within the EU so no.

I figured as much, but just wanted to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    No, being a member of the EU has SOME benefits it seems, and you will not have to pay any Import Duty from items ordered from the UK (or any other EU member state).

However, as said, Scan are utterly horrible.

I suggest going to www.ebuyer.com instead. Great Prices and I have never paid more than their Flat £10 shipping charge to Ireland.

Just remember to follow the instructions Here when registering from Ireland. Also you may have to fake a Phone number, as it has issues registering Irish Numbers.

The Relevant Bit:
    Just as a Heads Up, I found REP IRE not to work, but REP 123 works fine.

Also, While I cannot confirm this to be true, apparently they refund Irish Customers the VAT.
    Now, I cannot say first hand this is true, but I have requested it a few days ago, and will report back if they send the money back to my Visa :D

The Relevant Bit:

Only VAT registered persons \ companies will be refunded the VAT paid in the UK

When I'm registering an account on ebuyer.com, what do I put for the phone number?
    I have been putting in my irish one with the correct area codes and everything but it doesnt accept it. Do I just make one up and stick it in?

phlegms wrote: »
    When I'm registering an account on ebuyer.com, what do I put for the phone number?
    I have been putting in my irish one with the correct area codes and everything but it doesnt accept it. Do I just make one up and stick it in?

Make one up, it's what I did.

It has to be a UK format number though

• Advertisement

Make one up, it's what I did.

It has to be a UK format number though

I copied the phone number off the site and it accepted it :rolleyes:

phlegms wrote: »
    I copied the phone number off the site and it accepted it :rolleyes:

That's the way to do it! :D

Just out of interest, which Postcode did you use? REP IRE or REP 123?

That's the way to do it! :D

Just out of interest, which Postcode did you use? REP IRE or REP 123?

Havent done any of the adress yet as I was only registering for an account.
    But when I need a postcode on other sites I just put in D5 or Dublin 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I was once told that when in doubt the postcode for Ireland is IRL.

When are postcodes coming in anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

i have ordered a few things from ebuyer myself. what you have to do is setup a google checkout account.

Griffin87 wrote: »
    i have ordered a few things from ebuyer myself. what you have to do is setup a google checkout account.

I never did, and have ordered just fine from them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

didn't think they offered the delivery option to Ireland unless you went through googlecheckout...

Effluo wrote: »
    didn't think they offered the delivery option to Ireland unless you went through googlecheckout...

They do, you just have to set your Postcode to REP IRE or REP 123.

Advertisement