Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating airlocked?

Options
  • 12-10-2009 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, ran out of oil and now I think the boiler is airlocked. It's a Riello 40 burner with one line from the tank.

I tried the reset button a few times and nothing happened, stopping after about 10 seconds. Loosened the bleed screw and there was some hissing and bubbling but a solid stream of oil did not come out. I tightened it back up and tried the reset again and it fired up. After a couple of minutes a lot of smoke started to come out and the boiler cut out. Tried the bleed screw again but no oil is coming out.

Not sure what to try next, any advice would be appreciated greatly

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Hopefully you are loosening the correct bleed screw. The smoke could be caused because you turned the oil pressure screw (You should not adjust this).
    The most likely reason was that more air moved into the pump and the smoke was caused by the burner cutting off and on. I would say try loosening the bleed screw again and give the oil a chance to push the air out. Also check that the valve at the tank and the fire valve are fully open.
    Jim.

Read this thread and look at the photos http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055255246

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Flashnumpteh

Thanks James. The fire valve was shut, turning the bleed screw now there is a little bit of oil, but not much. I saw the other thread so haven't touched the oil pressure screw above the bleed screw. I don't think there is enough fuel getting through. Tried to loosen the flexible oil line at the filter but its very tight and don't want to damage anything.

When you say try the bleed screw again and the give the oil a chance, how long are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Thanks James. The fire valve was shut, turning the bleed screw now there is a little bit of oil, but not much. I saw the other thread so haven't touched the oil pressure screw above the bleed screw. I don't think there is enough fuel getting through. Tried to loosen the flexible oil line at the filter but its very tight and don't want to damage anything.

When you say try the bleed screw again and the give the oil a chance, how long are you talking about?

Once there is some oil and no air, the burner should start when you push the reset button. Make sure that the firevalve is completely open - sometimes the centre spindle does not pull up fully.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Flashnumpteh

Got it working, thanks

Advertisement