Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing log 2009 -2010

• 12-10-2009 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

Have decided to kill my training log as I feel I no longerr really need it. In it's place i'm still going to up date this log with planned races, and race results. I may stick in the odd training plan in but not going to be the same as before.

Once iI get 6 weeks injury free base running done i'll target a few races towards the end of the year. Plan is to set a simple training plan and stick to it over the coming months/Year .

Have been thinking alot about my training over the last year and have picked a few areas that need work, i'll run these by a coach to get some feedback before anythign is set in stone.

A couple or races that will be on there are going to be.

1. Raheny 5mile
    2. National Half marathon
    2. Dublin Novices 2010

Will update this with targets races in a coupe of weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

only spotted this now, best of luck. going to be base training myself when i get back from injury too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

2009 Targets
    Race|Date|Distance|Target|Actual time|Comments
    Beach Race|14/11/2009|6k|||Depends on recovery
    NSRT|28/11/2009|6k XC|||Either NSRT or inters
    Dublin inter XC|29/11/09|8k|||Either NSRT or inters
    National Novice XC|6th Dec|6k|Not to be last||

Raheny 5|?|5miles|Sub 33 mins||

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

shels4ever wrote: »
    2009 Targets
    Gingle bells|Dec 5th |5 k |Sub 20:30|

Are boards ac not sending a team to Coleraine then?

Are boards ac not sending a team to Coleraine then?
    :) good spot . Will edit it again with more races.... there will be a team there for sure.December 13th for Coleraine right? Would hope to have a full team for that date 12 runnner per team is a lot.:)

:) good spot . Will edit it again with more races.... there will be a team there for sure.December 13th for Coleraine right?

Dec 6th.

Europeans on Dec 13th.

The plan might be Dublin Inter on Nov 29th as build up race, give the Nat. Novice all you've got as peak race, then try to piggy back the peak with a good 10k on the 12th Dec, aware? Then lie in bed for 2 weeks only getting up for Xmas parties. Then start all over again.:D

• Advertisement

Dec 6th.

Europeans on Dec 13th.

The plan might be Dublin Inter on Nov 29th as build up race, give the Nat. Novice all you've got as peak race, then try to piggy back the peak with a good 10k on the 12th Dec, aware? Then lie in bed for 2 weeks only getting up for Xmas parties. Then start all over again.:D
    Must have been planning on running the Europeans myself then :)
    , ah closing date is 13th Nov for forms thats where i went wrong.

:) good spot . Will edit it again with more races.... there will be a team there for sure.December 13th for Coleraine right? Would hope to have a full team for that date 12 runnner per team is a lot.:)

Are you sure it's 12 - is that not just for County teams? I thought club teams were still 8 to run? In any case, it's only 4 to score, so you don't need 12.

Are you sure it's 12 - is that not just for County teams? I thought club teams were still 8 to run? In any case, it's only 4 to score, so you don't need 12.
    Yep yoru right
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/novice-web-entry-form-2008.pdf

whats the inter standard like at the back of the field would you have a similar standard coming in the bottom 5-10 places as novices??

Yep yoru right
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/novice-web-entry-form-2008.pdf

whats the inter standard like at the back of the field would you have a similar standard coming in the bottom 5-10 places as novices??

I'd say the standard at the top and at the bottom will be the same, but there might be slightly less in the Inter. Also as it is longer, at 8k, there's more time for it to get spread out, so it tends to be more of a single file finish with less group sprint finishes than in Novice. For some reason I think it's easier to do well in Inter - maybe just because numbers are smaller...

I'd say the standard at the top and at the bottom will be the same, but there might be slightly less in the Inter. Also as it is longer, at 8k, there's more time for it to get spread out, so it tends to be more of a single file finish with less group sprint finishes than in Novice. For some reason I think it's easier to do well in Inter - maybe just because numbers are smaller...
    Great thanks, inters doesnt sound too bad :)

• Advertisement

2009 Targets
    Dublin inter XC|29/11/09|8k|||Will be happy to jsut finish.

May run the Aware 10k but will decided later.

Well decided on the rest of the year now, Will run the inters and the national Novice ( must be mad but ) . Last week off has been hard calf has felt great for the last 2 days but going to give it a coupe more days before I run, only swimming and cycling for now.

2009 Targets
    Aware 10k|12th Dec|||43mins

If i can find a 5k or 5 mile on the weekend of the 19th december i might race but if not thats 2009 sorted.

Garda XC|Pheonix park| date ?|???|

Training has been going ok, starting to up it a little. Session at the weekend was the first run I wasnt thinking about the calf.. mainly becase of a pain in my lungs. Followed that up with a muddy 6 miles yesterday .

Will start to step up training this week. Jumped on he scales today and i'm 1kg more then i was prior to injury but feel worse. All in all hope to get a good 4 week training now and then make the call on nationals XC. Just happy to be running........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Good stuff Shels, all sounds good would love to see you run nationals. I wouldn't worry too much about a kilo, sure your only half the man now compared with the guy I first met :D
    I've decided higher milage is whats going to help me lose the weight.

Woddle wrote: »
    Good stuff Shels, all sounds good would love to see you run nationals. I wouldn't worry too much about a kilo, sure your only half the man now compared with the guy I first met :D
    I've decided higher milage is whats going to help me lose the weight.
    Still a long way to go, but hope to get to the point soon where the weght it is non issue anymore, :)

3 mile tempo run in the pissing rain and mud today it was great loved every second of it... 2 mile warmup @8:30+ pace Tempo 1. 7:45 2. 7;46 3. 7:33 (up hill wtf?) all the tempos was up hill apart for 400m mid section. Total 5 miles 40:02 ... starting to feel a bit like a runner but still need to take 20+ secods a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done on hitting 1k, how's the body holding up since the return?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Great session good to see. All going well and you get a consitent stint of training injury free and you will certainly knock them kinda times off. Keep up the good work

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Well done on hitting 1k, how's the body holding up since the return?

Body is holding up well, doing a lot of stretching in the evenigns but running without thinking about the calf now so thats a good thing. Just in from a 4 mile tempo over lots of hills... found it really really hard but should be back to some kind of shape in 4-5 week i hope.

ecoli wrote: »
    Great session good to see. All going well and you get a consitent stint of training injury free and you will certainly knock them kinda times off. Keep up the good work

Thanks , just need to be smart with my training now to keep injury free it was my own fault for pushing it in trainning when injuered.

• Advertisement

2009 Targets

Well after a 2 week period that I was finding it hard to run 9 min miles So I basically decided to jsut do easy runs all week. Started to feel a little better on Thursday , Friday and Sat so was happy enough to race this weekend. I know that I'm not in great shape at the moment but havent races in so long.

Got to the course early and had a quick luck around, at this point their were 5 swans swimming on the course so that basically tells you all you need to know about conditions.

Warm up was a little shorter then I'd usually do maybe about 1 mile followed by some strides, but this was partly due to my race plan too. I was planning on starting slow and grow into the race if possible.

Race started and by the looks of it a smaller crowd then the Dublin Novice but that didnt matter at all. Gun went and the field ran away from me and I was right at the back, the first 400m were slowish then I started to get into it.

There was very little grass left on the course and most of it was mud, So didnt bother trying to look for good ground just run the best racing line I could see, this involved some nice sections of cold water and mud.

Lap 1 finished and I think I was 2 from last at this point so started to run a little harder and close the gap to the gorup in front, I think I may have over cooked it at this point as I caught 1 or 2 people but wasnt feeling great. Lap 3 was a real slog jsut tired to hold onto a group of people but drifted back, lap 4 was the same was working hard, legs were tired but left it a bit late to catch the guy in front of me, Think I finished second last today but very happy to have run this race and its something to build on next year.

Well done to all the Boards AC runners who ran today was a hard race.

Total distance 5.38 miles , its a long 8k :)

Well done Shels and fair play to you putting your club first, you did good son ;)

Well done Shels and fair play to you putting your club first, you did good son ;)

A thanks, you'll be there next year ... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Been looking at the photos- it looked very tough:eek: Well done on the run today.

gerard65 wrote: »
    Been looking at the photos- it looked very tough:eek: Well done on the run today.

Was hard enough but not too bad, more the pace then the conditions that killed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

2009 Targets

From The Raheny Shamrocks Web site, See date is 31st Jan 2010.
    ON LINE ENTRY FOR 2010 AXA RAHENY 5 NOW OPEN

THE 26th AXA Raheny 5 road race takes place on Sunday, January 31, 2010.
    Enter on line for €20
    http://www.rahenyshamrock.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1163&Itemid=36

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Well done today and for all the work in getting the team together.

Any more BAC team events coming up in the future (road rather than xc)?

RAL3 wrote: »
    Well done today and for all the work in getting the team together.

Any more BAC team events coming up in the future (road rather than xc)?

Raheny 5 mile I believe is a club event also.

• Advertisement

Raheny 5 mile I believe is a club event also.

Yep that will be the next team event on the road... then on the country we have the inter clubs :eek: 12k I think ;)

Advertisement