Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing log 2009 -2010

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Bar the National novices next weekend and the inter clubs its that it for the cross country season? or are there any other races that I could manage, National inters ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭jlang

shels4ever wrote: »
    Bar the National novices next weekend and the inter clubs its that it for the cross country season? or are there any other races that I could manage, National inters ?
    Not the same level and I'm sure you know them already but don't forget there's plenty of BHAA XC left on the calendar.

jlang wrote: »
    Not the same level and I'm sure you know them already but don't forget there's plenty of BHAA XC left on the calendar.

Yep will do theses too, but there is just something about running the like of hte novice and inters that I like, maybe its the fear of been last might have become a bit too secure in mid pack of the Bhaa races. Just need to work my way to mid pack in the inters next year.

Legs felt good today still stiff but other then that ok, checked out race pace for the other day and it was 7:40 which wasnt too bad(but not too good) in the conditions and how I felt the week before.

Managed a nice 5 miles on grass again today , Need to grow some skin on my toes now so thats going to be my aim for this week. Might need to take a day or two off but will see how its goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

National Inters, 10k, Boyle, Roscommon, Sunday Feb 21st 2010

• Advertisement

Must be mad but I think thats one race that I'm going to run in 2010 , enjoyed the weekend even if I wasnt 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

I wouldn't book accommodation for this yet. AFAIK the Juv B and Inter County Relays are being staged in Boyle, but on 31st January. AFAIK the venue for Inter and Masters not yet decided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

I wouldn't book accommodation for this yet. AFAIK the Juv B and Inter County Relays are being staged in Boyle, but on 31st January. AFAIK the venue for Inter and Masters not yet decided.

I got it from the athletics Ireland fixtures calendar http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?page_id=714 but thanks for that, if this is incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

I got it from the athletics Ireland fixtures calendar http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?page_id=714 but thanks for that, if this is incorrect.
    My reason for doubting this fixture listing is that the Inter and Masters do not take place with the Juv B's and Inter County relays.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Well after a 2 week period that I was finding it hard to run 9 min miles So I basically decided to jsut do easy runs all week. Started to feel a little better on Thursday , Friday and Sat so was happy enough to race this weekend. I know that I'm not in great shape at the moment but havent races in so long.

Got to the course early and had a quick luck around, at this point their were 5 swans swimming on the course so that basically tells you all you need to know about conditions.

Warm up was a little shorter then I'd usually do maybe about 1 mile followed by some strides, but this was partly due to my race plan too. I was planning on starting slow and grow into the race if possible.

Race started and by the looks of it a smaller crowd then the Dublin Novice but that didnt matter at all. Gun went and the field ran away from me and I was right at the back, the first 400m were slowish then I started to get into it.

There was very little grass left on the course and most of it was mud, So didnt bother trying to look for good ground just run the best racing line I could see, this involved some nice sections of cold water and mud.

Lap 1 finished and I think I was 2 from last at this point so started to run a little harder and close the gap to the gorup in front, I think I may have over cooked it at this point as I caught 1 or 2 people but wasnt feeling great. Lap 3 was a real slog jsut tired to hold onto a group of people but drifted back, lap 4 was the same was working hard, legs were tired but left it a bit late to catch the guy in front of me, Think I finished second last today but very happy to have run this race and its something to build on next year.

Well done to all the Boards AC runners who ran today was a hard race.

Total distance 5.38 miles , its a long 8k :)

Well done Shels, you did really well the conditions looked so tough. I hope to be involved in these races next year, fingers crossed. Hopefully meet soon for a session although I have been so busy and just running when life lets me. Good luck at the weekend too, Coleraine is a cold spot brrr!.

• Advertisement

stmochtas wrote: »
    Well done Shels, you did really well the conditions looked so tough. I hope to be involved in these races next year, fingers crossed. Hopefully meet soon for a session although I have been so busy and just running when life lets me. Good luck at the weekend too, Coleraine is a cold spot brrr!.

Not going to be going up this weekend, life and work got in thw way. So no race for me for a while, might do a mile on christmas day if I can get out .

Todays run was ok not great but ok .

Plan was for 8/9 miles first 4 easy then a 4/5 mile tempo @7:30 pace.
    Was very tired after 3 miles (maybe a little too fast but didnt feel too bad to start with. ) so called it a day there, Will build back upto 5 over the next few week. But feeling a lot better then two weeks ago. :)

Need to build up my long runs over the next couple of week and have an 8 week training plan done up now..;)

6 nice miles today at lunch @8:30 pace , 4 on grass and 2 on the road.

6 miles today with 5 X 2 mins surges in the middle nothing too fast 7:15 pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

2 good runs the last two days, good work!

kennyb3 wrote: »
    2 good runs the last two days, good work!

Not too bad starting to feel good again, think I may have been a bit run down last month, Plan is for 40 miles this week. next week and then 44 , 46, 48 etc..

easy 4 miles today after work, didnt have much time today as had orders to come right home after work and no running so a sneeky shower in work and its a perfect crime ...
    Ran with a guy form work so pace was a bit slower then planned but no harm down. Picking up new pair of runners tomorrow :)

Plan for the week is the following.

Day|AM|PM|Comments
    Monday|6 miles|3 miles easy|Double day , running with someone from work maybe junk miles but been social too.
    Tuesday|5 miles easy|Core |Lunch time run
    Wed|6 miles 3 mile @tempo||
    Thursday|10 miles easy|||
    Friday |Rest|Core|||
    Sat|4 X 1500m 8 miles total|||
    Sunday|6 miles recovery|||

Will try to move long run and tempo if possible but not much time for the next 2 weeks so long run will have to follow either the tempo or Sats session, or better to do session after long run?

Please feel free to comment on any of the training I might not listen to you but good to get feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Plan for the week is the following.

Day|AM|PM|Comments
    Monday|6 miles|3 miles easy|Double day , running with someone from work maybe junk miles but been social too.
    Friday |Rest|Core|||

Will try to move long run and tempo if possible but not much time for the next 2 weeks so long run will have to follow either the tempo or Sats session, or better to do session after long run?

Please feel free to comment on any of the training I might not listen to you but good to get feedback.

Id always put the long run after a session rather than before. The way I look at it is the long run is just about time on your feet, pace is'nt that important but with sessions you need to be fresh and need to keep to the right pace.

Think its better after the tempo day too as the 1500's should be harder than the tempo.

Looks like a solid week though.....and I dont believe in junk miles.:)

Id always put the long run after a session rather than before. The way I look at it is the long run is just about time on your feet, pace is'nt that important but with sessions you need to be fresh and need to keep to the right pace.

Think its better after the tempo day too as the 1500's should be harder than the tempo.

Looks like a solid week though.....and I dont believe in junk miles.:)

Cheers ,thats my thinking too .

• Advertisement

Day|AM|PM|Comments
    Monday|6 miles @ 8:35 pace|3 miles easy 9:20 pace|Double day , running with someone from work maybe junk miles but been social too.
    Friday |Rest|Core|||

Nice running today, felt a bit sluggish in the morning put that down to poor sleep and diet this weekend, worked too many hours and didnt have propper meals, but back to normal this weeek.
    Evening runs was very easy felt like going on for a few more miles but didnt.

Race|Date|Distance|Target|Actual time|Comments
    South dublin CC XC|09/01/2010|4 miles|||Missed this race last year so will give it a lash.
    Raheny 5|31/01/2010|5miles|Sub 33 mins||
    Garda XC|Pheonix park| date ?|???|

Lots of other races in Jan to do so need to pick a couple , may run some as tempo runs but will decide later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Garda race is on Feb 27th Shels.

stmochtas wrote: »
    Garda race is on Feb 27th Shels.

Thanks, Just spotted that on the bhaa site .

Day|AM|PM|Comments
    Monday|6 miles @ 8:35 pace|3 miles easy 9:20 pace|Double day , running with someone from work maybe junk miles but been social too.
    Tuesday|5 miles easy 8:30 pace|Core |Lunch time run
    Friday |Rest|Core|||

Nice running today, felt a bit sluggish in the morning put that down to poor sleep and diet this weekend, worked too many hours and didnt have propper meals, but back to normal this weeek.
    Evening runs was very easy felt like going on for a few more miles but didnt.

Very nice run in the park today @8:30 with a few extra hills just for the fun of it. Felt very easy and didnt notice the time , felt like doing more.

Day|AM|PM|Comments
    Tuesday|5 miles easy@ 8:30 pace|Core |Lunch time run
    Wed|6 miles 3 mile @tempo||7:16,6:53,7:28
    Friday |Rest|Core|||

Got todays run totally wrong, felt tired to warm up but once got going on the tempo felt ok, ran far too fast on mile 2 and suffered on mile 3. plan was 7:15,7:20 pace but first session in a while so not too upset i'll gague my pace better next week.

Day|AM|PM|Comments
    Thursday|8 miles easy (ish) 8:17 pace|||
    Friday |Rest|Core|||

Nice 8 miles this evening, nice and fresh out but felt good,first mileshowed at 10 mins on my garmin but after that each mile was about 8:09- 8:19, could have gone on for a few more miles at that pace.
    Nipples are in a jock after....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

you gota use the bodyglide :)

you gota use the bodyglide :)

Yep usually would have, but forgot to pack it yesterday morning.

• Advertisement

Day|AM|PM|Comments
    Thursday|8 miles easy (ish) 8:17 pace|||
    Friday |Rest|Core||I dont rest well, I want to run|

Not going to do the session tomorrow as I'll be doing some sort of a race on Sunday so need to change the week around a bit. Should be fun :)

Advertisement