Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cambodia, Volunteering, Life, Graduate

• 12-10-2009 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

Has anyone gone volunterring in Cambodia before with USIT? Any comments/suggestions/views are welcome. Im thinking of going.

Thanks,

N

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Volunteering in Cambodia is a very difficult topic indeed....

Firstly, why pay to volunteer like you would have to do with the likes of USIT? Save your money! Get yourself to Cambodia and concentrate on the areas that need help.

Now, this is where it gets dodgy. There are lots of orphanages around only dying for volunteers - yet how well run they are is debatable. I have heard and witnessed many a story of pedophiles ''volunteering'' in these places for their own kicks, and unfortunately, Cambodians don’t have any means to filter the good from the bad and sometimes actually don’t spot it happening.

I did a lot of research in Cambodia on volunteering and decided against it because i could literally not differentiate between a good and a bad orphanage.

I would say research your area of interest immensely.... You don’t want to get working for a scummy circle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

supermouse wrote: »
    Volunteering in Cambodia is a very difficult topic indeed....

Firstly, why pay to volunteer like you would have to do with the likes of USIT? Save your money! Get yourself to Cambodia and concentrate on the areas that need help.

Now, this is where it gets dodgy. There are lots of orphanages around only dying for volunteers - yet how well run they are is debatable. I have heard and witnessed many a story of pedophiles ''volunteering'' in these places for their own kicks, and unfortunately, Cambodians don’t have any means to filter the good from the bad and sometimes actually don’t spot it happening.

I did a lot of research in Cambodia on volunteering and decided against it because i could literally not differentiate between a good and a bad orphanage.

I would say research your area of interest immensely.... You don’t want to get working for a scummy circle...

I'd like to second that point - please don't pay USIT! They are making a profit from good folk volunteering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

macca1983 wrote: »
    I'd like to second that point - please don't pay USIT! They are making a profit from good folk volunteering.

Jesus, just when I thought USIT were bad enough! I was in Cambodia for about 12 days at the end of my SE Asia trip and I met a few people who were working in some of the orphanages. I visited one myself and it seemed very well run. Sickening to hear that some of these orphanages have child abusers working in them but this is a very exploited part of the world. I wouldn't let this put me off going though, Cambodia is an amazing place, so just go and get talking to other people when you are out and about. You will find lots of people who will help you with regards to choosing an orphanage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Cambodia was my favourite place in Asia, the people are so down to earth and friendly, really good humoured and just lovely people!

Be careful what you choose and like i say, just research and research and when you think you've researched enough, research again!!!

Enjoy every minute of it, its an amazing country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

supermouse wrote: »
    Cambodia was my favourite place in Asia, the people are so down to earth and friendly, really good humoured and just lovely people!

Be careful what you choose and like i say, just research and research and when you think you've researched enough, research again!!!

Enjoy every minute of it, its an amazing country!

Yeah I agree, Cambodia was also my favourite destination in SE Asia that I visited. Can't wait to go back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

OP, I just finished a stint in an orphanage in Phnom Penh. Really well run. It involves teaching English for a few lessons during the day and hangin out with the kids in afternoons and evenings.

PM me if you want more info.

K.

Advertisement