Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Union Elections- 1st Year Student Rep

• 13-10-2009 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Well guys, it's that time of year again...

On Tuesday 13th October, (tomorrow) the elections are being held in the Arts Block and the library from 9-6...

I assume you are all decent people... SO VOTE LOUISE FEAHENY FOR NUMBER 1!!!

Thank you!!!:D

Kindest regards,

Louise :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I've seen this on here, on moodle, and I'm quite sure in real life. For 1st Year Rep elections, thats a good bit of campaigning and tbh worth a vote in itself. If somebody wants it enough to do that much even, they're worth a vote.

boards.ie - support yer own!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

PrivateEye wrote: »
    I've seen this on here, on moodle, and I'm quite sure in real life. For 1st Year Rep elections, thats a good bit of campaigning and tbh worth a vote in itself. If somebody wants it enough to do that much even, they're worth a vote.

boards.ie - support yer own!

Aw I really am touched... Thank you!!

NOW TELL EVERYONE TO VOTE FOR ME!!!!!!!!! :):):):):):):)

*world domination is soon to be mine*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Been doing it.

banquo wrote: »
    Been doing it.

YAY! thank yoU!

It's worth mentioning that I only know, like, three first years. Still, could swing it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

It's worth mentioning that I only know, like, three first years. Still, could swing it :D

With the amount of people who actually vote in these things, 3 votes would probably swing it.

Aldebaran wrote: »
    With the amount of people who actually vote in these things, 3 votes would probably swing it.

that'd be fantasti if that was the case... cos i have most of my spanish and media classes voting for me??? and a heap of random strangers that my boyfriend bullied into it... oh yeah and then there's the small random handful of friends that do exist in my mind:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

that'd be fantasti if that was the case... cos i have most of my spanish and media classes voting for me??? and a heap of random strangers that my boyfriend bullied into it... oh yeah and then there's the small random handful of friends that do exist in my mind:D:D:D

Did they change it this year? I thought it was one rep per class - is this an election for all first year students?

Far as I know its a seperate position altogether from the Union Council business.

My Single Honours History class had a Union Council seat last year we didn't even know about, seems the case that most smaller classes like our own never put somebody on Union Council as they think the MH101 class reps are theirs too. I'm on it this year, god help yis.

Any other boards.ie people gone for it?

I did e ncourage the 4/5 first years I know well enough to go out and "VOTE LOUISE FEAHENY FOR NUMBER 1!!!" so we'll see how that goes.

Aye, let's see how the results turn out.

@Efla, every class has an SU rep, and on top of that there's a rep to represent all of first year. So in a way first years have two reps.

• Advertisement

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

thank you everyone that voted for me or asked people to vote for me!!!

I WON!

*all first years are now my loyal subjects and world domination is mine!*

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

thank you everyone that voted for me or asked people to vote for me!!!

I WON!

*all first years are now my loyal subjects and world domination is mine!*

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

As last year's First Year Rep, I can inform you that sadly it doesn't quite pan out like that! ;)

However, definite congrats are in order!

As last year's First Year Rep, I can inform you that sadly it doesn't quite pan out like that! ;)

However, definite congrats are in order!

damn..... that's my plan out the window....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

ahhh donal or stephen shuda won first year rep:P

Well done!

What was the final count?

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    ahhh donal or stephen shuda won first year rep:P

aw..... sorry :(

Well done!

What was the final count?

there was only 91 votes... that was pathetic :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Toasty113

Congratulations, now represent me!:p

EDIT: Only 91 votes for you or 91 total?

Toasty113 wrote: »
    Congratulations, now represent me!:p

EDIT: Only 91 votes for you or 91 total?

ha ha ha only 91 votes in total! that was pathetic! grace was giving out that last yr only had 250... and then this year happened..... i got 38 but that's still awful!

how would you like me to represent you??? i'm going to be in *my office* probably next tuesday from 11-2 :):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

how would you like me to represent you??? i'm going to be in *my office* probably next tuesday from 11-2 :):):):):)
    Depending on whether you actually have any power......:pac:

Something which would be beneficial to a lot of people is a few goddam mouse mats for the pcs in the arts block.
    And maybe a few sniper rifles for the idiots who come back onto campus screeching like banshees after a night out. It was fine during Freshers' week but ffs! I go out every night (the most of anyone I've met actually) and return to my house silently in the early hours of the morning. Why can't you idiots do the same?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭LittleKitty

well done to you, i saw no first years canvasing really and there wasnt much info about the election, there was no hustings, which i really wanted to go to.

well done to donnacha too who was voted postgrad rep!!

K4t wrote: »
    Depending on whether you actually have any power......:pac:

Something which would be beneficial to a lot of people is a few goddam mouse mats for the pcs in the arts block.
    And maybe a few sniper rifles for the idiots who come back onto campus screeching like banshees after a night out. It was fine during Freshers' week but ffs! I go out every night (the most of anyone I've met actually) and return to my house silently in the early hours of the morning. Why can't you idiots do the same?

i will bring up both of those points at the next meeting! iv always wanted to be a sniper......... im sure the su budget could stretch to it! :D

the residents assoc is actually after increasing security & stuff at night, and sent out loadsa angry letters but thats about all they can do??

well done to you, i saw no first years canvasing really and there wasnt much info about the election, there was no hustings, which i really wanted to go to.

well done to donnacha too who was voted postgrad rep!!

thanks, I had a few big signs up in people's windows, messages on boards.ie and moodle and word of mouth. Donal was giving out free lollypops and siobhan had loadsa flyers, im not sure about the other dude... i felt really bad tho cos i wanted ron to win.....

Well done on getting elected regardless of the turnout.

Personally, I find it so demoralising so few first years voted. Are people t hat apathetic about university elections?

I've got a good whack of people to put themselves forward for Union Council this year, and people are like "whats this?" when they hand them the forms to sign. Bizarre state of affairs.

There should be a push for poisitions like this and even things like council seats, its a sad reflection on student elections and uni-politics if there's not.

Well done though, not just on winning- but also putting yourself forward!

No SU advertising that I could find.
    Not even a date / event poster.
    No canvassing by any of the nominees.

I'm amazed even that many voted.

Should push the elections, all the elections, a lot more.
    While I'm sure some class reps are very good, and would win re-election no problem, its not really on that the same people can walk on again and again. Some classes dont even seem to know they're entitled to reps (single honours...)

Obviously you can look all this up (nuimsu.com) but who does? There should be a real push for a position for 1st Year Rep. Encourage participation through postering/ a few lecture addresses etc.

Like I said, I think this S.U are pretty good so far*, these are things that can be fixed easy too. Just encourage greater participation in the union process. I know there was an email sent around, but I'd say most people delete that with the 'tea with a priest' and 'dont park on the road' mails.

I'm not hatin', its just that what banquo said is, to me, the minumum that can be done on this front. Thats not to say the SU aren't performing on other fronts, but les than 100 people participating in an election a thousand+ were eligable to vote in.....well....

*I dont just mean good when compared to last year

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

No SU advertising that I could find.
    Not even a date / event poster.
    No canvassing by any of the nominees.

I'm amazed even that many voted.

Agreed and it was ridiculous I wasn't even allowed vote because I have no grant yet and therefore no card and I didn't have the blasted orange sheet with me. Plus when I looked at the nominees I didn't recognise any of them.. my friends just put them in random nos.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

What happened to manifestos? when you say its not your first time *Wink* what does that mean? i think the reason there was such a small turnout was not one of the posters i saw had the voting date.

I got you 9 votes by the end of the day. Totally swung it!

• Advertisement

I got you 5 votes in the end, out of 7 asked.

T'was banquo that won it based on the above, I'm the Eamon Gilmore to his Enda Kenny.

Advertisement