Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand Weather

Options
  • 13-10-2009 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering what weather is like in NZ at the mo?? Im heading over Monday (excitement is FEROCIOUS!) and will spend 3 weeks in North Island 3 weeks in South.

In Melbourne at the moment and its chilly but definatly getting warmer, a few layers and a light jacket is more than enough. What will i need for NZ clothes wise ye reckon??

I've been looking online but would appreciate help from ye dear folks over there at present :)

Thanks

SM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Im just outside cc, cracking day today, but rain forecast for end of the week. We had snow last week. Still cool enough at night, but day temps will be rising from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

It's a fairly long country, so you'll likely see differences between north and south. I'm pretty central, in Wellington, and what you have for Melbourne sounds like what you'll need over here. Depending on the winds (Wellington is famous for wind), whether you can wear a light jacket or have to wrap up in a heavier one depends on which we get (northerlies are warm and southerlies cold).

By-and-large it's still pretty nippy. There may be times when you'll have to carry your jacket in your hand, and times when you'll be shivering and hugging yourself, but a medium jacket or jacket and hoodie type affect should do you fine this time of year all over the country I would say.

Obviously depends what you're up to as well. If you're hiking, you'll still need to be careful. Well, you always do, temps change pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

I'm in the Bay of Plenty and it's been dry and even sunny this week. It's going to get a lot warmer though so jeans and hoody would be warm enough for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Oh im so excited!!!
    I think i'll go with what winter woolies i have here and if i have to buy more over i will!
    Thanks again
    SM :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Rain in AUX for the past few days

• Advertisement

Auckland??? Oh no!!!! Rain in Melbourne too though so i suppose we're gonna be fairly on par!
    Flying in Monday at 11.30 am... hopefully mr rain will stay off for a few days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Have done a good bit of south island over last few days. Warm and sunny today in Queenstown, and when we went over Arthurs pass three days ago it was dry. Other than that it's cloud and rain. and more rain. Oh and just a bit of rain. CC was miserable.

WOOHOOOOO

ITS SUNNY!!!!!!!

hopefully the next 6 weeks will be more of the same :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Random tip....Try spend more time in south island if possible. Spent oer a month in NZ last year. Lived in Melb for ages too. The real NZ is when u see the snow in my opinion! ENVIOUS....Enjoy all the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Kinda cold and cloudy the last few weeks. The winter was very dry and mild in Christchurch, I suppose early spring is making up for it. There is still skiing in Mt Hutt!

It will warm up alot more though in the next few weeks. The summers are great in NZ totally under rated and vastly superior to Ireland's summer. December to January will be fab. 25 degree+ days for weeks on end... NZ weather gets a bad rep that it doesnt deserve at all. Yea sure OZ is warmer but the summer there can be like an oven in places, thats just too much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

jdivision wrote: »
    ...we went over Arthurs pass three days ago...

How was Arthur's Pass? Did you drive or train it? We're driving it over the bank holiday weekend, really looking forward to it.
    Mr Yellow wrote: »
    Try spend more time in south island if possible.

The north island is always getting underrated. Think it's an awful shame that ppl miss so much of what's on the north island because of how much better they hear the south island is. Not worth arguing over though, it's a beautiful country all over.

Oh i cant wait to see both islands - think they'll be quite different from each other!

Booked Magic bus but have heard from lots of peoplpe its not great for travelling on your own and meeting people so am quite nervous of it now.... Starting it tomorrow. Anyone been on Magic before???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

You'll be fine and meet plenty of cool people especially at the hostels :)

You picked a mad week for weather though right in the middle of two cold fronts. I'm bolting out of Wellington to Taranaki for the long weekend to get away from the rain and cold hopefully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Seems half of NZ is on the move this weekend. I am heading to the west coast myself. Better be dry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

jank wrote: »
    Kinda cold and cloudy the last few weeks. The winter was very dry and mild in Christchurch, I suppose early spring is making up for it. There is still skiing in Mt Hutt!

It will warm up alot more though in the next few weeks. The summers are great in NZ totally under rated and vastly superior to Ireland's summer. December to January will be fab. 25 degree+ days for weeks on end... NZ weather gets a bad rep that it doesnt deserve at all. Yea sure OZ is warmer but the summer there can be like an oven in places, thats just too much!

+1 , summers in new zealand are like the summer of 1995 in ireland only they get it every year , been 11 years since i was in nz but i have to say , its about the most perfect climate of any country ive been to

Advertisement