Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Article] Motorists on M1 targeted by criminals

• 13-10-2009 3:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1012/1224256437779.html
    Motorists on M1 targeted by criminals
    ELAINE KEOGH

MOTORISTS WHO car-pool and leave their vehicles parked along roads leading to the M1 motorway are being targeted by criminals.

They are putting on yellow fluorescent jackets, passing themselves off as a break-down service and towing cars away.

Senior gardaí are warning motorists of the risks and saying they should instead consider paying to park in a safe place.

“You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to see the same people park in the same spot every morning and leave their car parked up for up to eight hours, maybe more,” a Garda source said.

The M1 is one of the most heavily trafficked in the country and many people use it to commute from Monaghan, Meath, Louth and even the North into Dublin.

In the last year more workers are car-pooling or parking up to take a bus for the rest of the journey. However, they are parking on the hard shoulders of many roads that lead to interchanges to the M1.

The most popular are the Ardee link road, the Charleville interchange and in recent weeks the Drogheda north interchange.

“People pass no remarks when they see what appears to be a legitimate tow truck or breakdown truck towing away a car. They generally target jeeps and high-powered vehicles,” the Garda warned.

People in Border counties who park on a regular basis for a full day are really at risk

A lot of commuters will car-pool or park up and then get a bus into Dublin and they think they are saving parking fees in the capital by parking up.

It is rare that a stolen vehicle is recovered.

Gardaí in Louth and Meath are warning that jeeps, SUVs and other fast cars are being targeted by criminals with cross-Border operations.

1224256437779_1.jpg
    Ardee-Dundalk MI link road: people park before car-pooling or taking buses, not realising gangs may steal cars.
    Photograph: Ciara Wilkinson

Of course, all these cars are parked illegally.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Really can't believe this didnt start sooner tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

One wonders are these cars being stolen for breaking down into parts or for resale? If the latter, how do the gangs get their hands on replacement keys? It should be no simple matter with modern electronic immobilisers, or have we been spun a line by car manufacturers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Victor wrote: »
    Of course, all these cars are parked illegally.

are they? on what basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Once again the Irish commuter is willing to carpool or use the bus, but the concept of a safe park and ride facility is alien to planners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

loyatemu wrote: »
    are they? on what basis?
    (a) parked on grass verge
    (b) parked on hard shoulder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

No, no, Victor . . . this is in fact an Irish car park. Sure isn't there room beside those cars for anyone that wants to go baling down the hard shoulder. What else would people be using the hard shoulder for ?

z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sounds like these 'criminals' are only doing the job the Gardai should be doing by removing cars illegally parked on the hard shoulder :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

well.... if there was parking facilities provided im sure people would happily use them rather than park on the hard shoulder,bad planning once again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Planning, or lack thereof, is no excuse for illegal and stupid parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Can somebody remind me,once again,how much exactly do we pay the Chief Executive of the National Roads Authority...?

This figure is of course necessary in order to prioritize my numerous concerns as to the Value for Money WE (de peeple) are getting from this fellow.....
    Particularly as he appeared blissfully unaware of the Internationally accepted concept of Rest Area`s on Motorway grade roadways...but that aside,perhaps we need also to consider the immininent arrival of Tolls on the "New M3" Motorway and the added potential for further PPP`stunts to be pulled on Motorists there... :)

Don`t allow anybody to tell you this Government (and particularly Noel Dempsey) aint at the cutting edge of Innovative methods of rifling through your pockets :eek:

Value for Money...I`m all for it !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Planning, or lack thereof, is no excuse for illegal and stupid parking.

Which exact law prohibits parking in this case?
    What exactly is stupid about parking in the picture above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

I always thought the hard shoulder was for emergency use only ? As far as i can see that's not the case in the picture .

According to the rules of the road a hard shoulder such as the one above is only for pedestrian or cyclist use or if a motorist want to move in briefly to let someone overtake. Fair enough, the legality maybe in question but it's plain and simply against the rules of the road, it's not for parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

dsane1 wrote: »
    I always thought the hard shoulder was for emergency use only ? As far as i can see that's not the case in the picture .

But, officer, it is an emergency. Surely you can see this. If I don't park here I'll miss the bus. If I miss the bus I'll be late for work. If I'm late for work I'll be docked wages or be fired. And then that'd be me, the missus and the kids living on the side of the road. LIVING HERE, I tell ya. Now, that really would be an emergency.

parking as in Rules of the Road
    • Do park as close as possible to the kerb or edge of the road.
    • Do make sure the sides of your vehicle are parallel to the kerb or edge, unless a traffic sign indicates otherwise.
    • Do park facing in the same direction as the traffic.
    • Do make sure your vehicle can be seen at night.
    • Do park courteously, without blocking other road users' views of a traffic signal or the road ahead.
    • Do park where you would not block the entrance to a property unless you have the owner's permission

The vehicles shown above are parked as close as possible to the edge of the road, are parallel to the edge, are in the same direction as the traffic, do not block other road users' views and do not block the entry to a property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Rules of the road are not law. And I'm pretty sure its against the law to park on a hard-shoulder.

And I'm pretty sure its against the law to park on a hard-shoulder.

Which law, exactly?

This thread features people who are going to work and paying taxes and who are trying to avoid travelling in low occupancy vehicles on the M1. These people are the victims of crime. Yet on this thread the main discussion characterises them as stupid and invents imaginary parking restrictions to characterise them as criminal.
    You are a sad lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

ardmacha wrote: »
    Which law, exactly?

This thread features people who are going to work and paying taxes and who are trying to avoid travelling in low occupancy vehicles on the M1. These people are the victims of crime. Yet on this thread the main discussion characterises them as stupid and invents imaginary parking restrictions to characterise them as criminal.
    You are a sad lot.

Actually I thought the main point was that we need proper park n ride facilities so people don't leave their cars at the side of roads where they get stolen..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭trellheim

The law is SI of 1997
    36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article.

(2) A vehicle shall not be parked—

( a ) on that side of a section of roadway along the edge of which traffic sign number RRM 008 [double yellow lines] has been provided;

( b ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 019 [No Parking sign] has been provided, during the period indicated on the information plate accompanying such traffic sign;

( c ) within 5 metres of a road junction;

( d ) on a section of roadway with less than 3 traffic lanes and where traffic sign number RRM 001 [continuous white line] has been provided;

( e ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 020, in association with RRM 029 [appointed stand], has been placed to indicate that an appointed stand has been provided;

( f ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing, delaying or interfering with the entrance to or exit from a fire brigade station, an ambulance station or a Garda station;

( g ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing an entrance or an exit for vehicles to or from a premises, save with the consent of the occupier of such premises;

( h ) within 15 metres (on the approach side) or 5 metres (on the side other than the approach side) of a section of roadway where any of the following traffic signs have been provided—

(i) traffic sign number RPC 001 [Pedestrian Crossing];

(ii) traffic sign number RPC 002 [Pedestrian Crossing Complex]; or

(iii) traffic sign numbers RTS 00I, RTS 002, RTS 003 or RTS 004 [traffic lights];

( i ) on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip;

( j ) on a part of a roadway which is a casual trading area, during hours of trading, unless the vehicle is for the time being in use for the purposes of casual trading;

( k ) in a manner in which it will interfere with the normal flow of traffic or which obstructs or endangers other traffic;

( l ) where traffic sign RUS 031 [bus stop] or RRM 030 [stopping place or stand] has been provided unless the vehicle is an omnibus.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a36

(2) A vehicle shall not be parked—

( a ) on that side of a section of roadway along the edge of which traffic sign number RRM 008 [double yellow lines] has been provided;

No double yellow line.

( b ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 019 [No Parking sign] has been provided, during the period indicated on the information plate accompanying such traffic sign;

No such sign here.

( c ) within 5 metres of a road junction;

Not true in this case.

( d ) on a section of roadway with less than 3 traffic lanes and where traffic sign number RRM 001 [continuous white line] has been provided;

Not true in this case.

( e ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 020, in association with RRM 029 [appointed stand], has been placed to indicate that an appointed stand has been provided;

Not true in this case.

( f ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing, delaying or interfering with the entrance to or exit from a fire brigade station, an ambulance station or a Garda station;

Not true in this case.

( g ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing an entrance or an exit for vehicles to or from a premises, save with the consent of the occupier of such premises;

Not true in this case.

( h ) within 15 metres (on the approach side) or 5 metres (on the side other than the approach side) of a section of roadway where any of the following traffic signs have been provided—

(i) traffic sign number RPC 001 [Pedestrian Crossing];

(ii) traffic sign number RPC 002 [Pedestrian Crossing Complex]; or

(iii) traffic sign numbers RTS 00I, RTS 002, RTS 003 or RTS 004 [traffic lights];

Not true in this case.

( i ) on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip;

Yes. One wheel is on the grass verge. although this seems preferable to me to having the vehicle closer to moving traffic.

( j ) on a part of a roadway which is a casual trading area, during hours of trading, unless the vehicle is for the time being in use for the purposes of casual trading;

Not true in this case.
    ( k ) in a manner in which it will interfere with the normal flow of traffic or which obstructs or endangers other traffic;

These vehicles do not obstruct or endanger other traffic.

( l ) where traffic sign RUS 031 [bus stop] or RRM 030 [stopping place or stand] has been provided unless the vehicle is an omnibus.

Not true in this case.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    The vehicles shown above are parked as close as possible to the edge of the road, are parallel to the edge, are in the same direction as the traffic, do not block other road users' views and do not block the entry to a property.

You obviously missed this first time around.....
    According to the rules of the road a hard shoulder such as the one above is only for pedestrian or cyclist use or if a motorist want to move in briefly to let someone overtake.

According to the rules of the road a hard shoulder such as the one above is only for pedestrian or cyclist use or if a motorist want to move in briefly to let someone overtake.

No, I didn't miss this. A hard shoulder should not be driven in by a motorist, other than to move in briefly to let someone overtake. It may be used for stopped cars, not moving ones, its purpose is to allow cars stop there rather than on the main carriageway. Are you suggesting that they should park on the main carriageway and leave the HS free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The broken yellow line is the edge of the roadway.

The broken yellow line is the edge of the roadway.

So, should the cars shown have parked on the other side of the broken yellow line then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i would imagine the only place you can park as a right is where it has been designated a parking area. Everywhere else not specifically designated NO PARKING ( see above) you can park so long as you arent causing an obstruction. I think they are OK to park there....even if they got a ticket, I should imagine the Judge would throw it out.

Why would you go to court over a parking ticket ?

people do....simpler just to pay it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Simple solution. Ticket anyone who parks there for illegal parking. In a few weeks no one will be parking there and no cars will be stolen.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

triple-M wrote: »
    well.... if there was parking facilities provided im sure people would happily use them rather than park on the hard shoulder,bad planning once again :(

you sound like a Pikey. :mad:

"Shure dey don't provide us wit fah-cil-iteees so we hav tah camp on de soide of de roahd"

Someone who lives north of Ardee and works in Dublin city centre has a nerve to talk about a lack of PLANNING by anyone else.

• Advertisement

Simple solution. Ticket anyone who parks there for illegal parking.

Would parking not have to be illegal for that to happen?
    While you are at it why not have the government seize all the cars and sell them to pay off the deficit. Although they should share some with the toll company as these carpooling scabs are obviously travelling two or three to a car and getting away without paying a toll.

i doubt you'd get a parking ticket, more likely one for obstruction and then you'd need to go to court to argue that you werent causing an obstruction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

corktina wrote: »
    i doubt you'd get a parking ticket, more likely one for obstruction and then you'd need to go to court to argue that you werent causing an obstruction

Yeah, imo no obstruction to traffic under the Road Traffic Act but there is indeed the potential for obstruction under the Roads Act 1993. However this only occurs if those vehicles are actually impeding road maintenance at that time, eg. resurfacing, or access to signage, or hedge cutting.
    Offence of obstruction.
    80.—A person who obstructs or impedes or assists a person to obstruct or impede the Authority or a road authority or an authorised person within the meaning of section 69, 71, 72 or 78 in the performance of any of their functions under any enactment (including this Act) relating to the construction or maintenance of public roads shall be guilty of an offence.

Advertisement