Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to thailand for 8 weeks, june and july 2010, help?

• 13-10-2009 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 13 Jonny13

hey

Going to thailand for a little over 8 weeks next summer and want to start saving now? How much spending money do you think i will need. Not living too luxorious but not slummin it altogether. Plannin on travellin a bit too.

Will it be sunny der?

Wat are the best cities/islands/towns?

What day trips things to do would you recommend?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dee_09

Im goin July 2010 too,have the flights booked but not a notion where to start planning aftr that! Iv heard a lot about Ko Phangan, so i think wel spend some time there?

1 of the girls was there last summer and she spent 1600eur in the seven weeks, including accom, internal travel and food etc., she said she wasnt being cautious with her money either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glicster

after u land in bangkok make ur way inland heading for chaing mai.from there you can get a direct flight to koh samui.from there you can do a day trip to antong marine park,stunning scenery,and to koh pangan(check your dates for the full moon party,info on d web) and if you want to go diving head for koh nanguan.
    everything can be sorted from samui and when finished on that side of thailand you can head for phuket,the more busy island.accomodation food and drink are all cheap.
    its very humid and expect some heavy short downpours inbetween d hot sun.
    be carefull if you get rooms with air conditioning,being in a cool room then out in hot weather can bring on sore throats and colds.
    ask for discount on most things,like tour bookings and souvenirs.
    get the lonely planet book and you can plan everything from that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cookie5982

was in thailand last summer, absolutly amazing! wasnt slumming it, managed to stay in some really nice places for about 20 euro a night between 2 (this was expensive by some backpacker standards but well worth it i felt). My favourite place was chaing mai you can get the bus or train from bangkok (12-14hrs). loved just walking around the town in chaing mai, great food market and night bazaar, amazing Wat there too cant remember the name tho think its one of the well known ones so shouldnt be too hard to find! plus you have treking and plenty of wildlife nearby!
    Thought Koh Phangnan was a bit of a kip to be honest but was there at full moon time so that could explain it!
    We had only 3 days of rain over a month but think we may have got lucky!
    Koh tao is also a lovely island nice place to chill out after full moon in phangnan ( only a 2 hour boat trip ).

If i was to gve you one piece of advice, eat the food from the street stalls as dodgy as that may sound it really is amazing much better then any commercial restaurant (and cheaper)!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 darraghg06

Hi, i'm going to thailand this june and july as well, and i was just wondering if you guys were travelling alone as i am. or if you have travelled there alone before. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cookie5982

darraghg06 wrote: »
    Hi, i'm going to thailand this june and july as well, and i was just wondering if you guys were travelling alone as i am. or if you have travelled there alone before. thanks

I wasn't travelling alone but i did meet and become friends with plenty of people who were travelling alone. In a way I envyed them as they could do as they please and not have to put up with several differing opinions of where we should go next and what we should do. The people I met were generally Australian, American and some Irish , alot of them would make friends with people and travelling with them for a bit and then go their own way and more then likely meet new people and travel with them and so on. of all the people i talked to those that went alone got the proper thai experience visiting places off the beaten track even if only for a day they managed to fit in alot more then i did. You'll make tons of friends over there anyway the place is swarming with backpackers everyone seems pretty open minded about meeting new people along their travels so i wouldnt be worrying at all!! I'v no doubt by the time you get home you'll have friends from all over the world, handy when your deciding the next place you want to vist ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I spent 1400 in 7 weeks. not being frivolous with my money but not too tight either, ate well and went out every night nearly.

My route, which went well:

Bangkok
    Ko Samui
    Ko Phangan
    Ko Tao (scuba diving)
    Ko Phi Phi
    Vang Vieng (Laos)
    Ko Phangan (for another FMP)
    Bangkok
    Home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sezconz

Howdy

Going to thailand for 5 weeks this summer..just wondering where people stayed for the full moon party in ko phangan?? Want to be within walking distance to haad rin..this is where we will probably spend the most on accommodation but still don't want to spend more than 20 euro a night per person! Any help will be greatly appreciated..thanks a mil in advance ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 katie25

Hi,

anyone no what thialand like in august, i know its rainning season!! any experiences,

Thanks x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Wheelhaus

I was there last august. You get a few heavy showers but nothing major. Still had a complete blast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

sezconz wrote: »
    Howdy

Going to thailand for 5 weeks this summer..just wondering where people stayed for the full moon party in ko phangan?? Want to be within walking distance to haad rin..this is where we will probably spend the most on accommodation but still don't want to spend more than 20 euro a night per person! Any help will be greatly appreciated..thanks a mil in advance ;)

Been to two FMP and both times stayed in Paradise Bungalows. They're on Haad Rin beach. Not the best accom, all there was in the rooms were two beds, but they were the biggest rooms we stayed in and had air-con and a joint balcony with the room beside ours which we also rented overlooking the main street which was pretty cool. The most expensive night we paid was the night of the FMP and it was 800 baht between three people which at the time was about €16 between three. We had to stay one night in another place after our first FMP as the boats were cancelled due to bad weather and we stayed in 'Delight Resort', nice rooms, decent layout, about 60 seconds from the beach and smack bang in the middle of the main street.

I'd recommend both.
    katie25 wrote: »
    Hi,

anyone no what thialand like in august, i know its rainning season!! any experiences,

Thanks x

Generally only rains for about an hour. But when it does rains it really pours. Was there for 7 weeks and only rained on us about 5 or 6 times, and at the longest about two hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 katie25

Thanks,thats gud news, was looking at flights all seem to be about 1000 in august!! planning on going for 5 weeks hopefully bring 1600, When should i start getting my injections? or anyone now how much it costs? ( just trying to add it all up what will cost in total for the trip) and do i need to apply for holiday visa?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Thanks,thats gud news, was looking at flights all seem to be about 1000 in august!! planning on going for 5 weeks hopefully bring 1600, When should i start getting my injections? or anyone now how much it costs? ( just trying to add it all up what will cost in total for the trip) and do i need to apply for holiday visa?

Thanks

ouch! You should deffo get flights cheaper than that, there's a few threads around here on flights to thailand, loads of good advice, if you do a search for them.
    I booked mine through moneysupermarket.com-ebookers-air india, got em for 470 from London, figure around 100 to fly to London, so not bad all in all.

Different doctors will recommend different injections, so it's hard to say cost, for each injection costs usually between 30-50, some require more than one injection, and of course there's the doctors fee too! First time I spent over 200, last time 125, this time should be around 80 as I have only one to get I think. Give yourself 2-3 months ahead of time to get them, in case you get one that requires few injections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Thanks

I wouldn't bother getting injections unless you're going off the beaten track.

Seriously, the whole medical side of travel is way overstated by the health industry in order to make money.

And don't talk to me about their Malaria maps. They cover areas that haven't had malaria in decades.

Scandalous.

Thanks a mil for your help frisbee..

I'm going for 5 weeks aswell and the way we're gonna dodge the visa issue is travel to laos after our 20th day so that we will be granted the 15day visitor visa when entering back into the country by land..you are automatically granted a 30 day visa when you fly in by air but as we'll be there for 35days we are gonna go2 laos..otherwise if you wana get buy a visa its about 50 euro. The cheapest injections I could find was on travelhealth.ie on dawson st..its 125e for student consultation and the 3 basic injections needed..tetanus, typhoid and hep A but if your goin trekking you've to get hep B and rabies which brings it up to about 365e..its mental the price but knowing my luck i'd probably catch something so i'm not chancing not gettin them!! Prices 4 flights keep going up so i'd book asap..i got mine from dublin for 677 with turkishairlines but it now costs 1600..try kayak.com, www.momondo.com, travelpaths.ie and travelsupermarket.com. Hope that helps :)

Thanks a mil for your help frisbee..

I'm going for 5 weeks aswell and the way we're gonna dodge the visa issue is travel to laos after our 20th day so that we will be granted the 15day visitor visa when entering back into the country by land..you are automatically granted a 30 day visa when you fly in by air but as we'll be there for 35days we are gonna go2 laos..otherwise if you wana get buy a visa its about 50 euro.

if you're purely doin this to avoid payin.... you know you'll have to pay for the laos visa too??

dearg lady wrote: »
    if you're purely doin this to avoid payin.... you know you'll have to pay for the laos visa too??

didn't realise you have to get a visa for laos if you're only visiting the country for a few days but thanks for the heads up:) We're planning on going to laos anyway for a couple of days for tubing etc so we were just gonna time it around the 2nd half of our holiday..it won't be the end of the world if we have to pay for a visa, just annoying having to get one for the sake of 5 days!!

didn't realise you have to get a visa for laos if you're only visiting the country for a few days but thanks for the heads up:) We're planning on going to laos anyway for a couple of days for tubing etc so we were just gonna time it around the 2nd half of our holiday..it won't be the end of the world if we have to pay for a visa, just annoying having to get one for the sake of 5 days!!

yeah, Laos is deffo worth a visit, it's beautiful! :) I think it's around 20/30 dollars for a visa, but well worth it, and everything is so cheap once you're there. Oh yeah, make sure and have a few passport pics on you, most Thai/Laos border crossing issue visas on the spot, but you need pics.

kraggy wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother getting injections unless you're going off the beaten track.

Or if you are going there for the prostitution then Hep B is essential, if anyone thinks that that's not one of the main reason single lads go there ye're mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

remember that lao has limited health care if you are going to lao visit mut mee guest house in nong khai and i promice you you will be in a new heaven this place is a gem and so so cheap €10 for a aircon room have a look see
    I spent 3 weeks there just unwinding and being alive.;)
    http://www.mutmee.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭Alkers

Planning on doing the same for about 8 weeks this summer. Would people recommend staying in Thailand for the whole time or spending a month checking out Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

Hi,

I'll be flying into Bangkok in August and I plan to travel around SE Asia for 3/4 months. As Im not exactly sure how long I'll be they I haven't booked any outward flights.

However, on the Thai Embassy site it says to gain entry you must have proof of a flight booked out of Thailand within the 29 day period. Is there any way of gaining entry without outward flights booked? And does this apply to all the SE Asian countries?

Thanks a mil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

RoverJames wrote: »
    Or if you are going there for the prostitution then Hep B is essential, if anyone thinks that that's not one of the main reason single lads go there ye're mad.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement.

I've been to SE Asia twice and it wasn't for prosititution. And I know plenty of other lads who also go for the experience and not the sex.

Only a percentage of lads go for the prostitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Don't think this is worthy of a new thread so I'll just ask here.

Can anyone tell me if its much more difficult to get from Bangkok to Koh Phangan through Surat Thani, rather than via Koh Samui. I'm asking because the flight to Surat Thani from Bangkok is much cheaper

Advertisement