If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panasonic Plasmas

Options
  • 13-10-2009 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey guys and gals,

I have noticed over the last few days as I have done more digging on tv's that you guys dont seem to deliver the panasonic plasmas to Ireland as they are UK versions.

Is this just a sorta legal thing, or is there anything specific about them they doesn't work in Ireland? (if anything, I'm guessing it will be the tuner or something)

Also, I know you will sell them in-store only up in Belfast, but if one was purchased over the phone, could you guys get it to the store in Dublin for collection? I would have a hard time convincing the folks to drive up to Belfast from Dublin and then drive me and the tv back down to cork, just for them to have to drive back to Dublin again :P

I also noticed you were talking about the problems shipping plasmas in general, and that they are more prone to damage than LCDs. What level of a problem is this? Would the TV likely get damaged in a car just going from Dublin to Cork, or is it more than the couriers you have found don't store the stuff well enough in the vans etc. (I know I have seen some shocking courier vans with stuff just thrown around in the back)

Thanks in advance,

GiR/Ben

(p.s. - the denon + br5 setup is awesome \o/ thanks!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GirRobot

Oh, and also - I assume your other plasmas (LG mostly that I would consider I guess - unless I could somehow afford and then you have one of those pioneer kuro 5090s - i think thats the one :P) can be sold and delivered to the shop in dublin without any issues?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

GirRobot wrote: »
    Hey guys and gals,

I have noticed over the last few days as I have done more digging on tv's that you guys dont seem to deliver the panasonic plasmas to Ireland as they are UK versions.

Is this just a sorta legal thing, or is there anything specific about them they doesn't work in Ireland? (if anything, I'm guessing it will be the tuner or something)

Also, I know you will sell them in-store only up in Belfast, but if one was purchased over the phone, could you guys get it to the store in Dublin for collection? I would have a hard time convincing the folks to drive up to Belfast from Dublin and then drive me and the tv back down to cork, just for them to have to drive back to Dublin again :P

I also noticed you were talking about the problems shipping plasmas in general, and that they are more prone to damage than LCDs. What level of a problem is this? Would the TV likely get damaged in a car just going from Dublin to Cork, or is it more than the couriers you have found don't store the stuff well enough in the vans etc. (I know I have seen some shocking courier vans with stuff just thrown around in the back)

Thanks in advance,

GiR/Ben

(p.s. - the denon + br5 setup is awesome \o/ thanks!!)

Ben,

thanks for the post and great to hear that youy Denon/Monitor System is going well.

Panasonic Plasma - there are two main reasons that we are not shipping Panasonic at the moment - the 1st is that we are really reluctant to ship ANY plasma as (in my earlier post) I have tried to explain whatever couriers we use they appear to like Nick Lowe too much ( I'm so old I have that on 7") and Plasma does not travel in the back of a truck as well as LCD appears to!

The second and primary reason we are not shipping Pana at the moment is that the models we stock are UK specific models - they only have UHF tuners on board and not UHF/VHF per EVERY other brand we stock - we have also had MPEG4 issues with the few Panasonic models that actually have an MPEG4 tuner on-board.

We have had several instances of Customers who have bought Panasonic from us, who we have told and noted on their account notes that they have been told that the model is UK specific and some months (in one case years) later have returned to us saying that their TV is ' not fit for purpose' and they want a new one. Therefore we have taken the decision to restrict most Panasonic to in-store Customers only as it is of course patently clear if a Customer is travelling to us that the model is a UK model.

We are constantly reviewing this situation however and specifically I think when the MPEG4 engineering trials settle down we will be more comfortable as this is the largest issue we have with shipping Pana at the moment.

Whilst we are in no way knocking Panasonic - they are cracking TV's it really is unfortunate that they don't make a TV for Europe the same LG / Philips / Sony / Toshiba / Samsung and pretty much everyone else.

In the meantime I'm afraid you guys will have to either cough up for the ROI models - or pop in the car and grab one from RS in Belfast!

As above we really are looking at this every week and we will post if we can see a way around this,

Thanks again for the post and as ever drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Also, John forgot to respond on Pioneer5090 model,:) let me respond:):)

I think, no 5090 is left in stock now:), and i have got one of them:D:D:D
    sorry, could not stop responding :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GirRobot

Haha, well gratz ASTRACLUB, I'm sure you will be a loving owner :D

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

ASTRACLUB wrote: »
    Also, John forgot to respond on Pioneer5090 model,:) let me respond:):)

I think, no 5090 is left in stock now:), and i have got one of them:D:D:D
    sorry, could not stop responding :-)

God Astraclub - just because you bagged a 5090 - no need to be so smug! :D:D:D:D

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.