Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

faulkeners Lane

Options
  • 13-10-2009 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

I see in a report re the renaming of this lane that it was described as dirty dingy and smelly. Was this area not part of the Examiners printing and despatch. Also many years ago it housed one of the best pubs in Cork and many a pint i enjoyed there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

dewdrop wrote: »
    I see in a report re the renaming of this lane that it was described as dirty dingy and smelly. Was this area not part of the Examiners printing and despatch. Also many years ago it housed one of the best pubs in Cork and many a pint i enjoyed there.

It had turned into one of the nastiest little side streets off Patrick St, not to fear now though, since its being renovated and maintained by O Callaghan properties group....interestingly we've lost the public right of way there too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Really dislike that Faulkeners Lane has been renamed for the sake of Morkeshing; yes it was dingy and horrible but that shouldn't mean that the renovator has the ability to rename an area - it's not like they renovated it for altruistic purposes. It sets a dangerous precedent and shows contempt for the city's history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I heard them talking about this on redFM yesterday in there news bulletin part. apparently the council members aren't happy about it cuz they were supposed to have been asked about it as apparently its themselves that are the ones that can rename things. So it might not be changing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

I heard on the radio this morning that it was originally renamed by the city manager & then there was uproar & then it was put to a vote & renamed legitimately in the end.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Ah yes Joe shows us the brown paper bag way to change things.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

i dont mind to be honest, itd be different if it had been named after someone / thing that was an important part of our is history but as it is it was just named after a bank(er).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Avenuegirl

It was never called 'Faulkeners Lane' anyway. I think you'll find it was actually called Faulkner's Lane.
    I don't think that the name has disappeared technically - it's on the address for H&M for example. Opera Lane is the name of the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Moro Man

Balmed Out wrote: »
    i dont mind to be honest, itd be different if it had been named after someone / thing that was an important part of our is history but as it is it was just named after a bank(er).

But the place itself ( as all streets / lanes have ) had some history and retaining the name would be very appropriate (but mightn't be palatable for developers or bankers ) in the current recessionary times. The lane takes it's name from a Mr Riggs Faulkner who operated a bank there in the 1760's (until he went bust:D:D:D.).

100 years ago (According to the 1911 census) it had 2 pubs, a private house (inhabited by a 'Good' insurance agent ) a warehouse a stores and 3 factories. These buildings may been altered / demolished but the street is still there.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001870772/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/2046662/nai001870776/

And Opera Lane as a name doesn't even make sense.

Advertisement