Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance fees for renters

Options
  • 13-10-2009 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hello all,

I'm renting accomodation in a housing estate and we've receved a letter stating we owe money for the upkeep of green areas throughout the estate.
    None of this includes the houses outside space.
    Before I contact the landlord I'd like to know if it's usually the tennant or landlord that pays this fee?
    It's not a crazy amount or anything but we'd prefer not to pay if we don't have to :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

It sounds like it's the Landlord's responsibility.
    Obviously the housing estate he or she bought from included in the contract, maintence of the estate grounds etc.
    He or she would be totally chancing their arm to pass this fee onto you.
    Personally i wouldn't pay it even if the LL wanted me to.
    It's his or her name on the contact and it will be they who will get chased up for it.
    The lease you've signed is for the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

The LL should pay it. He/she should build charges such as this into the rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

That's the responsibility of the landlord. Pass it on to him/her immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

As others have said it's the landlord's responsibility, unless of course it's specifically mentioned in your lease that the responsibility lies with you, which would be unusual.

As a matter of interest, was the letter addressed to you by name or was it generic 'the occupant', 'resident' etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

This would be the landlords responsibility and they should pay it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help :)
    I'll have a look at the lease later to make sure it's not mentioned in it and contact the letting agent about it.

The letter's addressed to the resident/property holder.
    It doesn't seem to be to much of an organised thing, like a few of the residents came together to sort it out.

It wasn't me the letter was handed to and when my housemate questioned the person delivering, them they said to make up as much of the amount as possible.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Thanks again :D

Advertisement